what to do?

homeguy

Observer
I would bet your radiator is plugged with mud. There is a shroud on the top of the radiator. There are about 4 push pins holding it on. Take that off and put a hose in between the 2 radiators and let the water run over it. I do this a couple times a year. You will be surprised how much dirt is in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mitch502

Explorer
Check that your radiator is not covered in places with mud (keeps heat from coming off, of course) and that your fan is working in high speed if it's a 2 speed fan, as other's have stated. I guess if you're that worried, you could try dropping to a cooler t-stat?

1stDeuce

Explorer
Cooler t-stat won't fix it. It can't get rid of the heat it's making, and it would have to get rid of MORE heat with a cooler thermostat.

Rinse out the mud and bugs. Good point to make sure the fan is coming on too.

Mitch502

Explorer
Cooler t-stat won't fix it. It can't get rid of the heat it's making, and it would have to get rid of MORE heat with a cooler thermostat.

Rinse out the mud and bugs. Good point to make sure the fan is coming on too.

could it be that it's getting "runaway" heat though? IE, getting too hot to cool itself down efficiently? Is that a thing? A tstat would be a bandaid on it regardless, though. You have underlying issues.

Stryder106

Explorer
Some basics to check: 1) As others mentioned - trapped mud and bugs; 2) Is there a fan shroud? If yes, make sure it's still there as that is a big part of allowing the fan to pull air through the radiator; 3) How clean is your engine? A dirty/greasy engine traps heat - Gunk is your friend. Good luck.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
JorT,

Did you see what Dan (The Road Chose Me) did with the export fan and stuff, to help keep his Wrangler cool over in Africa? He may have included the PNs to do this conversion. If not you could probably send him a PM, to find out. Might be just what the Dr. ordered. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94