Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NWOR 2017, my story

Default NWOR 2017, my story

My story gets interesting before last year's rally so it starts there.
    I pulled this out of a garage in September of 2015

and by May of 2016, I was narrowing in on taking it to the Rally.

that picture is a great one, it also is of a non-operable vehicle as the motor was seized and the picture was taken while waiting for a tow.
    it's probably a good thing I didn't make it because at that point it was nearly undriveable and had a serious electrical gremlin.
    Because I was continuing to struggle with that rig, I abandoned my plan to build a teardrop and picked this up (which would make my overland rig a towed rig)....

With that background, eventually I dialed in the FJ40 so by the Rally, it would have been fine towing a teardrop.... but whatever, I was committed - and hearing the scuttlebutt from people who didn't know that walls have ears was actually pretty funny (yes, I dared tow the FJ40). But nevermind, I like unique rigs, and a diesel Sub towing a not-much-left-from-toyota '40 seemed to fit right in. especially since the prior years I was in my H3 Hummer

... and despite the haters, there were a lot of people who really seemed to dig both rigs. This also kind of explains why the '40 came along - by gosh or by golly it was going to make the Rally and be successful. So here the story pick up.

in the winter months, the '40 has a soft top on it.... but after April, it comes off

also removing to top saves weight - an important consideration when you're going to be going 5 mph is low range at the top of Steven's Pass.

and we're off
    we arrive and on Friday decided to try out the obstacle course

such a blast, so I had a few friends drive it as well
    and no, it's not me driving

the guy driving is my neighbor and the one who owns the Yellow Jeep you see in several pictures. we met when I was broke, again, and he helped me get it home. We've been friends ever since
    the grin is still on his face

next up, another friend who was given the instruction "drive anywhere you like, you won't get in trouble"... my land cruiser has grown up... this friend drove the white/black Hummer H3T - and was talking about how we'll be building something comparable for him

then Jim .... my favorite line "aren't you supposed to be teaching?" when the other instructor saw him driving. Fun fact, it was in 2 wd for the course for him (inadvertently, actually)

Hallie has become adept at waiting for us to fix our rigs.... that said, she tore it up on Sunday on the course

the true test, though, was driving the 50 miles to Liberty, running the trails then driving it back.... of course, air must be let out because we're old and John doesn't have lockers

I have a picture of this spot and a friend doing a moon shot in his CJ5.... longer wheelbase and travel made this seem a lot easier

who needs lockers?

last year, I had to fold the mirrors of my H3 in to clear these trees....

I may or may not have warned John about this hole

some splashing too

stumps are for flexing - though I think all our flexing on this stump may have ended its usefulness (I have similar pictures of years past)

time to fire up the York compressor and fill us up (note for next year - mosquito spray)

the greatest paradox - people who strive to get away from everyone, camp together in a meadow. Was a lot of fun

going the other way was far less stress (helps when you're starting 2000 feet higher )

and home

can't wait for next year

Thoroughly enjoyed the photos!

Thanks, Guy

Wish you could have made it - hopefully things have/are resolved.

I got a few cool shots of the 40 too. Great rig. IMG_1679.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jhartung View Post
    I got a few cool shots of the 40 too. Great rig. IMG_1679.jpg
    awesome picture - thanks!

I'm a fan of your smart *** writing style, very entertaining. Also love your FJ40, great job/impressive fab work there.
    -2006 DC Tundra Limited - mostly stock, still gathering ideas.
    -2016 FWD Ford Escape.....work car.

Would love to know more about your coilover set up, I'm planning to do something similar on my 40.

From the point of view of someone who got to drive this through the course at NWOR..... THIS THING IS FREAKING AWESOME!!!!

I have have always driven stock(ish) rigs and this setup blew everything I have ever tried before right out of the water!

Great work SBG!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Grape grower View Post
    Would love to know more about your coilover set up, I'm planning to do something similar on my 40.
    3 link front, 4 link triangulated rear. uses 12" coil overs on the front, f350 van (front) coils for the rear. the build is here https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/shipwreck.818420/ a lot of pages, but most of the notes of what I did and why I ended up doing what I did is there. feel free to PM me questions.

Ray Hyland is online now Expedition Portal Team
    Expedition Portal Moderator
    Expedition Leader
    Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ray Hyland
    Explorers Club Member, RCGS Fellow, Member of Overland International Inc.
    www.nwoverlandrally.com www.bcoverlandrally.com www.overlandinternational.com
    1993 D110 (200tdi) with Habitat Roof, 1954 86" Station Wagon (London to Singapore truck, 2015/2016), 1954 86" Pickup, 1954 86" Hardtop, 1956 86" coil-sprung hybrid, 2005 YZF250F, 1971 Carabela, 2012 Kawasaki, 2016 CCW Ace Deluxe 250, 1988 RRC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast