Plumbing

Bruce Lee

Hi all

I am planning the plumbing for the van, any thoughts on which is best for over landing, copper or plastic?

Cheers

Bruce

tarditi

Explorer
I would be concerned about copper soldered fittings being less resilient in a high vibration environment

Iain_U1250

Explorer
I used the John Guest plastic system, easy to fit, and no leaks after 2 years of use on some very rough roads. I used the proper fitting, including the internal inserts and the clips on the collars to stop them vibrating loose when not pressurised.

java

Expedition Leader
PEX! It can freeze, the fittings are really easy to use (may have to buy or rent the expander tool), light weight and very tough. I used it for all my water lines except a few places where vinyl flex was needed.

jostein

Adventurer
PEX among many other plastics, can expand. Just remember that valves and fittings still will freeze and crack:)

southpier

Expedition Leader
with regard to proprietary fitting systems (requiring a dedicated installation tool to repair); this requires another piece of stored kit on the road.

(I know - the fittings never give way ...)

Neil

Observer
If using it for heating systems, for some reason Eberspacher and Sebastian are not great fans of copper. Maybe there is a reaction that can occur.
Plastic is my choice
Neil

Joe917

Explorer
Sharkbite fittings cost a fortune compared to the standard crimp rings and I would not trust them under constant vibration. A compact compression tool is light and cheap.

Bruce Lee

Plastics it is!

Thank you all

Plastic it is, I have tried some JG stuff and seems fine, and I can get it from Tool Station down the road, only 12 weeks to finish it all, doesn't time fly!

Bruce

Anton2k3

Adventurer
I'm finding this an interesting topic. We're about to put our floor down with the under floor heating integrated into it. Due to space constraints (height), I was going to use 10mm copper to keep the floor low profile (20mm wedi board inlaid with copper, 12mm ply, 8mm engineering AC4 waterproof flooring). Compression fittings are easy to use, and would all be above floor level. All under floor loops would be single piece.

Should I be looking to change to plastic plumbing? Are the fittings options plentiful and easily available? I need to make up a manifold for the under floor heating.

Bruce Lee

Thanks all and pics

i am going with hep2o (they are doing free samples if you look at their web site) and standard caravan stuff for bendy bits.

Gas tank arrived, going to use air balloon fittings as they fly most places.

Pictures attached

Cheers

Bruce

Attachments

• 2017-07-14 12.12.33.jpg
    2017-07-14 12.12.33.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 2017-07-13 09.39.45.jpg
    2017-07-13 09.39.45.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 2017-07-13 09.40.02.jpg
    2017-07-13 09.40.02.jpg