Aux input on factory Ford radio?

Corneilius

Adventurer
Ive got the factory (1998) Ford stereo in my van. Its got a tape deck, no CD. I like it well enough, but there is no auxiliary input. Ive tried running the tape deck adapter for my phone, but I get a terrible feedback whine when I play music through it...I think its the fuel pump.

Anyway does anyone know of a cord that could plug into the antenna input or a tape adapter with a noise filter on it? Not interested in the FM transmitter style adapters. But I would love a AUX input without buying a new stereo.

quickfarms

Adventurer
This what I have used in the past

f135e79b06687b37cdf7814c9e9b8281.jpg

759ad74f8ed914896379d693661e26dc.jpg

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
Link to product mentionned above: FM Modulator for iPod, iPad, iPhone

Thanks for sharing! :wavey:

I see one big advantage for a product like this. You get to keep the stock radio that is less likely to be stolen in areas that are more susceptible to theft while still listening to all your songs in a more portable format.

Corneilius

Adventurer
Yeah cool, looks like that unit does "hard wire" and doesn't broadcast on a frequency correct? Since it installs inline with antenna, then phone gets plugged into that.

Looks to me like it is still an FM modulator that will require you to tune to a certain FM station. I'm guessing since it goes inline with the antenna input it is less susceptible to static and other issues caused my some FM modulators.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
There are companies that wire in an input jack, but I don't think there's a universal plug and play kit other than the type linked above. The reviews I've read indicate they work much better since they can disconnect they antenna and feed the signal directly into the tuner. With a strong signal going into the radio with little chance for interference you shouldn't get static.

Depending on the model of Ford radio, the other option would be connecting through the CD changer jack on the back of the radio if it has that feature. My 2003 radio has the jack, but my 12/96 didn't. I believe most of the 1998 and newer did have them.

Here's one example, I've seen others also:
http://www.oemautosound.com/p-47-ford-auxiliary-input-pie-frdw-aux.aspx

There are also Apple specific adapters if you plan to use an iPhone or similar.

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
I really like Bikersmurf's idea above at $85 but for only about $150 you can get a decent aftermarket double DIN with all sorts of bells and whistles like backup camera, aux AND USB inputs, better wattage, etc. I love the idea of factory for security but if anyone ever gets in to my van, the stereo will probably be the last thing they're after. I suggest tinting your windows and staying out of cities mostly, and maybe an 'Ebola cleanup team' door decal.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
Did they quit making the cassette tape adaptors with the aux cord hanging out of them? I used them all the time back in the 90s.

Corneilius

Adventurer
Did they quit making the cassette tape adaptors with the aux cord hanging out of them? I used them all the time back in the 90s.

They still do, Ive tried two different ones and have had significant EMI whine that follows engine RPM. Unless someone knows of one with a noise filter built in....

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I'm sure you did, I was thinking CL or the local yards...
I'll keep an eye out for one near me.

Corneilius

Adventurer
Are you sure there isn't a loose ground or your alternator is acting up?

Not positive, but Ive got not other mysterious electrical issues and alternator is charging fine. Were leaving for a big trip Saturday so I guess ill order the FM modulator and report back. If its not the best ill just get another head unit when we get back. Thats obviously the best answer.

Corneilius

Adventurer
Alright y'all just to close out this thread. I ordered one of the Scosche FM modulators. Not the one linked actually, this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Scosche-Audio-FM-Modulator-Universal/dp/B0007THIDQ

From what i could tell it was the exact same as the other one (FMMOD02) but cheaper...?

Anyways I just got it installed and it works great. Clear sound, no feedback to speak of. VERY easy to install and comes with all the cables you need.

Hope this helps someone else. For $25 I got an AUX in line, my wife is very happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles