New Expedition Camper - Overland Explorer

java

Expedition Leader
Best way to prevent condensation is a open roof vent. In the winter we leave it open all the time. In the summer, one in one out works good, or all windows open and both out.

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
Hi

Lovely set up :)

I think a vent like that is more efficient one way than the other in cu. ft shifted. But you have to heat the inside up to get the condensation back into vapour then let it out. So some heating plus some ventilation. Or stop breathing/sweating :)

We have Froli too but still got condensation under our overcab mattress, the floor of which was uninsulated so one of the coldest internal surfaces. I'm planning some piped hot water (maybe using some domestic underfloor heating pipe because it can be routed back and forth in one piece) and maybe a 24v computer fan or two to directly target that area in the future.

java

Expedition Leader
Hi Java. Got any plans to cross the mtns? I’d like to meet up, see your camper and compare notes.
Not anything planned at the moment, but we may head to schweitzer some time this year, that would take us right past you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Coachgeo

Explorer
At Lite Industries picking up my camper. Performing the final finishing touches. Fantastic attention to detail. Very impressed with my camper.

They have a TEK 4 machine in the shop. Was interesting to see that this 100,000 lb machine has the same mounting system as my little flatbed. 

View attachment 428451

View attachment 428452
That is interesting. Curious, how much are they the same? Just in concept.. or did it appear to be same springs and bolt size etc. I know trucks with water tanks on them use the same set up. http://www.watertrucks.com/prod_details.asp?id=UTETANKMTKIT

Darwin

Explorer
Is the bed bolted at the back of the frame ? Or is it a spring mount on all four corners?

I plan to go with some sort of spring mount or pivot mount for my flat bed.

HowardH

Adventurer
Is the bed bolted at the back of the frame ? Or is it a spring mount on all four corners?

It's spring mount at the four corners plus the center. Total of six clamps. The flatbed has 3/4” rubber mat, horse stall matting, the camper sits on. It hasn't moved.

HowardH

Adventurer
First real camping trip other than the trip home. Just outside of Moses Lake out by Potholes Reservoir. Right at freezing outside. And freezing ran.

I switched the ground wire on the furnace from one pin to another and got higher temps out of it. Right now it's blowing 146F.

Super comfortable.

HowardH

Adventurer
The full width dinette and table works pretty well. Four of us and we were not cramped etc. Size is just about right.

20171230_025535624_iOS (1024x768).jpg

You can even lay on the top bunk while grinding coffee.

20171230_163529686_iOS (768x1024).jpg

Attachments

• 20171230_163529686_iOS (768x1024).jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 201
  • 20171230_163529686_iOS (768x1024).jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:

HowardH

Adventurer
With input for others including those on this forum, thank you, I have reached a decision on wheels and tires. I am sticking with duels and 19.5's.

The duels are just too stable and standard for this type of truck to switch; same with the 19.5 size. I really worried about the loss of stability AND flotation/footprint on the rear axle; by going to super singles. Even with a large wide tire I still ended up with less rubber on the ground, with two tires, than even the narrow duels with four.

I will be purchasing 19.5x7.5 wheels, hopefully in aluminum to save weight. Than I will install 285/70r19.5 tires, probably the Toyo M608. This will give about 22" of tire width on the front, up from 17" and 44" on the rear up from 34". About 26% more surface area. I currently have no spare and no good place to carry one. By going with duels spec-ed out to also work as singles I now have two spares with me; stored on the axles. :)

I do worry a bit about the larger stiffer tire giving a rougher ride. I hope to compensate for that by being able to run a lower pressure. I have been running, loaded, 65 lb in the front and 55 lb in the rear. No issue with heat and a noticeably less harsh ride.

I will get valve stem extenders, if needed, and plan on using the Coyote automatic tire deflators for gravel roads. I am a big believer in air down for ride comfort. I have already installed the ARB duel pump compressor with quick connect fittings and hose in the under bed boxes on each side of the truck.

After this I think the next step will be to finalize a typical all up load on the camper and truck. Then off to Puhl Spring in Spokane for custom springs sized for my specific use and weight. Probably new shocks at that time as well, more research needed here. I am confident I will end up with a truck that rides well on the freeway and will handle the washboards with more than acceptable comfort.

Bottom line is that the truck and camper work very well as is. It can only get better. :) :)

java

Expedition Leader
I am very very interested to hear what you come up with for springs. I think we are very similar in weight and may be interested in having two sets made....

I am currently running the same tire pressures, and I think its about right. The new ones will be a fair bit stiffer. Id love to go that route too, but my tires are nearly new, and its a big chunk of change for wheels and tires. I believe that Alcoa makes aluminum ones in the size and bolt pattern you need.

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
Amazing setup!! I ventured away from the site for a while only to come back and see a few great rigs and I really like this one.

If you're looking for a fantastic shock setup check out 2.5" Kings, but get with a reputable offroad shop or distributor and have them valved appropriately for your rig. Many guys in the powerstroke world run then (and I believe that's what ER runs).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier