New Expedition Camper - Overland Explorer

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
I'm seeing if I can get some more info for you on the powerstroke pages. Are you looking for Springs and Shocks as an integrated package or could you get the springs you were looking at previously and have someone else match the shocks?

HowardH

Adventurer
I'm seeing if I can get some more info for you on the powerstroke pages. Are you looking for Springs and Shocks as an integrated package or could you get the springs you were looking at previously and have someone else match the shocks?

That's very nice of you. Thank you.

Spring and shocks could be separated. I'd think the shocks would need to be done after Springs and I certainly see the value in someone being able to tune them for the setup and weight.

Darwin

Explorer
Are you trying to get softer springs? Everything is a compromise and with the softer springs you will lose some stability.

The biggest improvement in ride comes from the ability to air down the tires or have some tires with more sidewall. I think you might end up disappointed if you go with something like Carli considering a fully loaded cab over camper, their springs both front and rear are not designed to work with that kind of weight.

I think you would find the most benefit for both on and off road going to a 20 inch wheel and something like 335 Conti MPT tires.

LovinPSDs

Adventurer
I think you might end up disappointed if you go with something like Carli considering a fully loaded cab over camper, their springs both front and rear are not designed to work with that kind of weight.

My only intent here was to say that Carli could most likely valve the shocks to his needs. I agree the carli lifts are probably not what he needs.

java

Expedition Leader
Can valving be done remotely with specs of the vehicle or must the vehicle be present?

Remotely, it's just a shim stack inside the shock. They need to know some details on the truck.

Last edited:

S2DM

Adventurer
If you buy 3" kings, they come with an adjustment session usually.

Personally, I have the carli 2.5" lift f250 front springs (linear rate) and they were much better than what was on the truck originally and not too soft (though my rig is lighter). I shaved 1" off the springs, and they sank a bit due to the extra weight of my rig, which put me back at my original 1" lift.

My recommendation would be to do the carli in front, and then have deaver make you a rear spring pack or use your local spring fabricator. They just made mine, so they'd be able to extrapolate for your weight pretty easily from mine. The deaver provided a huge increase in ride quality. Huge.

I woulndt put anything smaller than 3" kings and I'd consider 3.5". I'm changing my rears out to 3.5".

Last edited:

HowardH

Adventurer
What do the inches mean? Shock tube diameter? How does the larger measurement affect performance?

Scott I figured your rig would be heavier even though you gain 800 lbs by having a gas motor. What's your rig weigh?

S2DM

Adventurer
What do the inches mean? Shock tube diameter? How does the larger measurement affect performance?

Scott I figured your rig would be heavier even though you gain 800 lbs by having a gas motor. What's your rig weigh?

I was up into the mid fifteens fully loaded before I took all the Overland Explorer junk off my truck and rebuilt. Managed to shave ~1500 pounds. Truck runs just above 14 with normal loads (I have 70 gallons of fuel and 110 gallons water, so I quote weights at 40 gallons fuel and 70 gallons water).

Inches are the shock tube diameter. What was your final weight?

Earthroamer used to use 2.5 kings, and went to 3 or 3.5 I believe. I have 3" kings that are a bit too long from my previous coil spring suspension, so Im replacing with a shorter set of 3.5" shocks (might stick with 3 and just valve them stiffer. The volume of oil and orifice size etc increases as several multiples of the diameter increase. I'm a bit out of my depth here so dont quote me on these numbers, but just for example, going from a 2.5 to 3 might be close to doubling the oil volume in the shock. Basically, a small increase in diameter yields a large increase in the fluid available to dampen as well as the volume that needs to get hot before the shock stops working.

Last edited:

S2DM

Adventurer
I was up into the mid fifteens fully loaded before I took all the Overland Explorer junk off my truck and rebuilt. Managed to shave 1k pounds. Truck runs just above 14 with normal loads (I have 70 gallons of fuel and 110 gallons water, so I quote weights at 40 gallons fuel and 70 gallons water).

Inches are the shock tube diameter. What was your final weight?

Earthroamer used to use 2.5 kings, and went to 3 or 3.5 I believe. I have 3" kings that are a bit too long from my previous coil spring suspension, so Im replacing with a shorter set of 3.5" shocks (might stick with 3 and just valve them stiffer. The volume of oil and orifice size etc increases as several multiples of the diameter increase. I'm a bit out of my depth here so dont quote me on these numbers, but just for example, going from a 2.5 to 3 might be close to doubling the oil volume in the shock. Basically, a small increase in diameter yields a large increase in the fluid available to dampen as well as the volume that needs to get hot before the shock stops working.

Just found your weight in your thread at 15,100, so we are pretty similar, I can be heavier than that with motorcycle and full loads of fuel and water, and all our baja gear.

I think you'd like the carli f250 springs up front. You can trim them with a zip disc to get the ride height you want if you get the linear rate springs. Happy to pm with you about it. I have the stock 2.5" kings up front and I wish I'd gone bigger but they are functional.

HowardH

Adventurer
Good tips. I will PM you as I move forward, probably late spring. Next step is wheels and bigger tires.

I hope to not exceed 16,000 lb, fully loaded with food, fuel, water and four people.

HowardH

Adventurer
Anyone have input on the ideal ratio of weight front to Rear? My thoughts are keep it close to the same ratio as max axle capacity or about a 3-5.

What about balancing weight left to right? How close should one be there? 25 lbs? Is 300 lbs close enough?

HowardH

Adventurer
Got the Froli bed springs system installed and the mattress back in place today.

With such a thick mattress I'm not sure how much if any difference the Froli will make to sleep comfort. I guess the main motivation was air movement and to minimize condensation.

37139852-F751-4CAB-AD50-C4732302695B.jpeg

A8814527-DACB-4806-AA8C-973C9B812291.jpg

06CE9C59-03A4-488F-ACC3-D9E59C77B63B.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles