New Expedition Camper - Overland Explorer

HowardH

Adventurer
A member asked via email why I was going with the super single package. I do have reservations about moving away from duels. They work, say what you will, they work fine and there is peace of mind in having two spares constantly bolted to your axle.

However, I do want to improve my pothole/washboard/rough road ride. My LMTV rode like a half ton on these types of roads. So, room for improvement. Also on my winter trip we drove lots of two track type roads and the duels where always up on the edges.
As an intermediate step I got a smoking deal on brand new Hutchinson 19.5 beadlock wheels and 285/70r19.5 tires which I installed. They move the front wheel track out to 97” outside to outside. The rears are even wider so to line them up I would need 1000-dollar spacers on the rear axle. However, in my brief use of singles I am seeing the advantages, particularly in snow. Also, on washboard roads the ride is noticeably smoother overall. On abrupt edges in pavement, the fronts do jar more.

Why Backstop?

An all in one integrated package including things I want to do or actually need to do with the larger tires.
  • Lift kit – complete package not just spacers.
  • Heavy duty bumper. Bumper is also wider to match up with the width of the tires.
  • Stinger receptacle for the front
  • Shocks
  • Fender Flares
  • Grill guard
  • 41” tires
  • Skid plates
Big thing is a 34% increase in sidewall height. This will give a much better washboard road ride. I keep thinking back to my LMTV and how well it road on rough washboard roads. Honestly as good as a half-ton.

Tires are the 335/80r20 Continentals. I have heard some poor reviews or maybe that Michelin and Good Year are better. The owner of Backstop is running the Continental’s and is not unhappy with them. Either way there seems to be plenty of the various brands available on places like eBay.

One more item of appeal. Hutchinson wheels give 97” outside to outside. Buckstop is 92” and of course same front and rear. I like the narrower overall width as it better matches my camper width and the track width of OEM pickups.

Item of concern. I have 4.11 gears, wondering if that is low enough with the taller tires?

Buckstop kit is scheduled to be ready mid April.

Darwin

Explorer
You are definitely going to want gears for those tires to save the transmission. 4:88 would probably be perfect. Do you have lockers front and rear?

HowardH

Adventurer
I have lockers. Rear is factory anti spin, front is an ARB. So give me some tips. What do I look for that would tell me my gearing is too high? Diesels have tons of torque and might hide issues????

java

Expedition Leader
I have lockers. Rear is factory anti spin, front is an ARB. So give me some tips. What do I look for that would tell me my gearing is too high? Diesels have tons of torque and might hide issues????
Your probably going to want to re-gear..... I have 4.30's and would not want to try to swing a 41" (really 42" iirc) tire.....

Try it and see. But I can see higher boost pressures with mine running the same speeds and just changing tires. And I lost a little mileage.....

180out

full buckstop kit and a re-gear? I hope the ride improvements are epic! The buckstop kit is a great one. i have many of their products. good stuff for sure.

HowardH

Adventurer
I wouldn't expect it to be. I would expect something along the lines of increasing speed from 10-15 MPH to 25-30 MPH is all.

java

Expedition Leader
Looking good! Can't wait to hear what you think of the ride.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles