New Expedition Camper - Overland Explorer

java

Expedition Leader
Ha looks like you got it figured out and beat me too it!

Still interested to hear about tires.

HowardH

Adventurer
Someone ask about the use of the flatbed without the camper. My daughters dog likes the toolbox. LOL

20170611_223642252_iOS.jpg20170612_024601496_iOS.jpg

There must be a way to rotate the images?

HowardH

Adventurer
Planning on the Toyo M608z in 258/75/R19.5 size tires.

Regarding heavy rig tires such as these and airing them down. I can tell you that the spud haulers around here have air down ability on their drivers and trailer tires. These are full size semi's and the ability to air down makes the difference in being able to drive the potato fields under their own power as opposed to having a tractor tow them. This is in very soft deep dirt. Obviously airing down 19.5 and 22.5 tires makes a huge difference.

Regarding airing down tires. Based upon my very limited knowledge I think there are three factors. 1) Bulging the sidewalls to the point they are overly susceptible to damage. 2) Reducing pressure to the point you break the bead. 3) Running a combination of to low pressure, too heavy, and too fast to the point that overheating becomes an issue. Number 3 is the only one I am worried about and with common sense and by simply paying attention I think that one can be handled.

I also expect my F450 to be well below max loading. I went with the F450 over the 350 simply because I wanted a 12' bed.

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
Planning on the Toyo 258/75/R19.5 tires.

Regarding heavy rig tires such as these and airing them down. I can tell you that the spud haulers around here have air down ability on their drivers and trailer tires. These are full size semi's and the ability to air down makes the difference in being able to drive the potato fields under their own power as opposed to having a tractor tow them. This is in very soft deep dirt. Obviously airing down 19.5 and 22.5 tires makes a huge difference.

Regarding airing down tires. Based upon my very limited knowledge I think there are three factors. 1) Bulging the sidewalls to the point they are overly susceptible to damage. 2) Reducing pressure to the point you break the bead. 3) Running a combination of to low pressure, too heavy, and too fast to the point that overheating becomes an issue. Number 3 is the only one I am worried about and with common sense and by simply paying attention I think that one can be handled.

Which Toyo? There are lots of varieties and different weight ratings. I'm running the M608's

I agree on your points, but the issue is the 19.5 does not have the inner "safety bead" that normal sizes do (none of the .5 sizes have them). That makes it much easier for the tire to slip off to the inside under lower pressures and especially in turning situations. Im at 14200lbs, and I would love to drop pressures on gravel, but I REALLY dont want to loose a bead either. I am running right at min pressure (75 ish)

Darwin

Explorer
If you haven't bought the 19.5 wheels yet, Stazworks might be able to build you a beadlocked 19.5

HowardH

Adventurer
I spoke with Stazworks. They wanted me to provide all the measurements etc for wheel offsets and so forth. I kind of figured they should be the expert and know how to build the correct wheel for my application. Prob would have went with them otherwise.

Java, I am planning on the 608Z also. Have you read the All Terrain Warriors blog about airing down 19.5's? I think you might be overly concerned.

Cascadian

Observer
Love your flatbed Howard, but I may be a little biased compared to the typical reader. I have it's little brother on the west side of the mountains.

Is Mark building a new size of the X series to fill up your 12' flatbed? This will be cool!

java

Expedition Leader
I spoke with Stazworks. They wanted me to provide all the measurements etc for wheel offsets and so forth. I kind of figured they should be the expert and know how to build the correct wheel for my application. Prob would have went with them otherwise.

Java, I am planning on the 608Z also. Have you read the All Terrain Warriors blog about airing down 19.5's? I think you might be overly concerned.

I have read it, I may be overly concerned, but re seating a 19.5 bead in the middle of no where is not going to happen either! Whats your planned weight?

You might do some reading into Rickson before ordering.... Take a look at the GOVE build. His wheels literally fell apart.

HowardH

Adventurer
I expect the camper not to exceed 4000 lbs. My boat weights 8600 with trailer. Not sure of the tongue weight.

I do know there are tools to reseat beads in the field. Might not be an idea solution but they are available.

I have heard the stories about Rickson here. I have also been told first hand by people I do business with; that use Rickson regularly, that they are a good company and have had great luck with them.

I fully intend to air my tires down to the min and do some testing. One of the benefits of the Moses Lake Sand Dunes ORV park basically being in my back yard.

Might borrow one of those propane bead setters from Les Schwab before hand though.

java

Expedition Leader
I expect the camper not to exceed 4000 lbs. My boat weights 8600 with trailer. Not sure of the tongue weight.

I do know there are tools to reseat beads in the field. Might not be an idea solution but they are available.

I have heard the stories about Rickson here. I have also been told first hand by people I do business with; that use Rickson regularly, that they are a good company and have had great luck with them.

I fully intend to air my tires down to the min and do some testing. One of the benefits of the Moses Lake Sand Dunes ORV park basically being in my back yard.

Might borrow one of those propane bead setters from Les Schwab before hand though.
Very cool, looking forward to see what you come up with for min pressure. I'm still running stick 225/70 size. The 285's are rated at much higher loads, which I assume translates to stiffer sidewalls

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

HowardH

Adventurer
I am concerned about the increased harshness and decreased ride on the front axle with the heavier duty tires. Once I get my typical all up weight settled I plan to have Pohl Spring in Spokane custom make a set of springs specifically for my truck and its weight.

java

Expedition Leader
I am concerned about the increased harshness and decreased ride on the front axle with the heavier duty tires. Once I get my typical all up weight settled I plan to have Pohl Spring in Spokane custom make a set of springs specifically for my truck and its weight.
I'll be following closely! I'm looking at kelderman's airbag front spring replacement. Not too much $

Your on 125 load rated tires now yes?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader

Good choice on Pohl Spring. I've used them for my work and they are absolutely amazing when it comes to springs.

HowardH

Adventurer
Phase three was to select a builder. My short list was Idaho Camper, Expedition Camper and Overland Explorer. None of them were eliminated as I think all would have been fine choices. I selected Overland Explorer due to their real world experience and demonstrated expertise with one off vehicle design and fabrication. Their use of composites and powdered coated aluminum was a factor.

Picked up the F450 JuannaGo II yesterday. She now has an ARB front locker, dual piston compressor (mounted between frame rails) and an ARB fridge plug hard wired into the cab. Next step is to plumb in quick connect air fittings and hose for airing tires and running power tools. Also need an air tank. There is lots of space on the underside of the flatbed. Space won't be a problem.

Last edited:

HowardH

Adventurer
Tested out the locking front axle. In soft sand, no difference. This truck simply will not go in sand as currently configured. Where my F150 goes with no issues this truck won't even go far enough to get the rear axle in sand. Sure hoping super singles with wider front tires offers noticeable improvement. Weight is the enemy. Narrow tires aren't helping but weight, weight weight is the real issue.

Also resolved the issue of rocks getting caught between the duels to my satisfaction. It happened to me and a fist sized rock released with a bang at about 40mph.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles