New Expedition Camper - Overland Explorer

HowardH

Adventurer
Question about electrical outlets. Any place they're useful that the manufacturers never seem to install them?

keep the duals.

a bit cryptic, but the intent motivating the comment is this: The uncertainty associated with choosing an alternative wheel/tire; the myriad of choices that only form other compromises in alternate situations makes the decision appear simple, at least its simple to my eyes. That is, the duals offer the greatest compromise compatibility with your chosen usage of said vehicle.
beginning with this as baseline, other wheel tire combos can be used for specific expeditions. trips to baja might see u outfitting the rig with sand tires in sandiego.

i hear you, this rig may see 1% off road use. i drive these 550/5500 450 series a fair amount, it is nearly my last preference for off road activity. the biggest problem i always encounter with these beasts off the pavement is the weight coupled to torque, of the diesel and the resultant breakage of parts, creates compound issues for which no amount of forethought can mitigate.

your general plan is impressive, the research, thoughtful approach, and choice of components almost guarantees a successful outcome.

HowardH

Adventurer
Thank you.

What's your opinion of running 285/70R19.5 in a duel setup? Too much tire?

I'd really like a larger footprint up front.

285/70R19.5

the service trucks run them, and they ride like hay wagons. even when the trucks are log loaded at 19.5 and 20K pounds. a speed bump, crushes vertebrae, pot holes and unforseen obstacles are jarring.
but they wear like iron, have puncture resistant sidewalls, are reasonably good off pavement, and kinda quiet.

my personal rig is a dually seeing very little action anymore she is, like me, old, an is my transportation and my companion in a way. i have begun to used d rate tires out back, cheaper, and might be just a bit softer riding. my go to had been the m55 toyo. no longer.

front footprint: a single larger rim. if you have duals in back, a single non dual offset wheel up front you can play with offset for tracking and tire print. this assumes the dually adapters are removable on the new truck axles like they are on the older rigs.
aesthetically the standard single front / dual rear i appealing.

Last edited:

HowardH

Adventurer
Update on wheels. Who would have thunk something as everyday common as wheels and tires would be so difficult. My local supplier mocked up a 19.5 wheel for me. Didn't work, it rubbed the brake rotors.

Back to waiting on Rickson; they have promised a ship date of next week. I can't find anyone, except Rickson, who will build a 19.5 to work with 285/70's in a dual configuration. Even if I went that route I would be considerably wider than I am currently.

I built my flatbed - and camper width - based upon the width of super singles. My duals currently stick out past the bed. It seems like the super single option with 285/70R19.5 tires is the overall best way to go - If I don't stick with what I have, 225/70R19.5.

Hutchinson is always an option but they are considerably more money than Rickson and don't think I need or want the hassle of beadlocks.

Regarding airing down 19.5's. I am currently running my 225/70's at 55 psi front and 45 psi in the rear. No issues and I am monitoring tire temps. Considerably smoother ride over the abrupt bumps.

Last edited:

S2DM

Adventurer
Stazwork will make a non beadlocked r20 rim (since you mentioned hutchinson, I know you are looking for 19.5). He'd also likely make a 19.5. I spoke to him about a custom set at one point and he inspired more confidence than my conversation with rickson did.

Buckstop was also making a set for a while, I'm not sure if they still are. They were basically the same price as hutchinsons, so pretty pricey for a basic rim. But they looked nice and got the job done.

I like my beadlocks, but they are a PITA. I sincerely doubt the average user would really benefit. They've helped us a few times in Baja, and I like the peace of mind i get from them when airing down, but, they add a lot of balancing issues and make your rim something the average tire shop won't touch.

HowardH

Adventurer
Stazworks required me to supply all dimensions, offsets etc.

I looked at Buckstop, they make a nice all inclusive package; bumper, wheels, lift kit to fit the large 20” wheels and tires. Expensive and I prefer not to have a lift. Also their package requires a wider front and large fender flares.

I hear you with the beadlock issues.

Last edited:

HowardH

Adventurer
Some progress pics. Moving right along. We added extra cabinets along side the bed in the cab over. Mark recognized that this would be dead space and came up with a solution. Exactly what you expect from a one off custom builder.

20171107_085456_resized.jpg

20171107_085516_resized.jpg

20171107_085613_resized.jpg

20171107_085627_resized.jpg

Last edited:

HowardH

Adventurer
Area under the sink and stove is getting filled up with "ugly stuff". Glad we have a large full height cabinet on the opposite wall.

20171107_085600_resized.jpg

Plenty of exterior lights are planned each with it's own switch.

20171107_085748_resized.jpg

java

Expedition Leader
Looks great Howard! Storage space is always appreciated

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

HowardH

Adventurer
We are hoping for an end of the month completion date. There may be delays which is not unexpected in this type of project. Overland Explorer, Mark, has done a good job of keeping me updated.

Rickson has promised to ship my wheels this week. I hope......Not sure how I will like them. Lots of knowledgable people suggest sticking with duels. I just haven't found a solution to the narrow front tires I seem to be limited to with a duel rear wheel configuration. I will keep my duels and can always go back.

Planning on taking a few days on the way home from Overland Camper to test it out. It will certainly get a cold weather test.

HowardH

Adventurer
I'll add a pic tomorrow. The issue is they are a bit to narrow or way to wide. 2”spacers and faced the same way as the front would work I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles