Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: New Expedition Camper - Overland Explorer

The full width dinette and table works pretty well. Four of us and we were not cramped etc. Size is just about right.

20171230_025535624_iOS (1024x768).jpg

You can even lay on the top bunk while grinding coffee.

20171230_163529686_iOS (768x1024).jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HowardH; 01-02-2018 at 07:17 PM.

With input for others including those on this forum, thank you, I have reached a decision on wheels and tires. I am sticking with duels and 19.5's.

The duels are just too stable and standard for this type of truck to switch; same with the 19.5 size. I really worried about the loss of stability AND flotation/footprint on the rear axle; by going to super singles. Even with a large wide tire I still ended up with less rubber on the ground, with two tires, than even the narrow duels with four.

I will be purchasing 19.5x7.5 wheels, hopefully in aluminum to save weight. Than I will install 285/70r19.5 tires, probably the Toyo M608. This will give about 22" of tire width on the front, up from 17" and 44" on the rear up from 34". About 26% more surface area. I currently have no spare and no good place to carry one. By going with duels spec-ed out to also work as singles I now have two spares with me; stored on the axles.

I do worry a bit about the larger stiffer tire giving a rougher ride. I hope to compensate for that by being able to run a lower pressure. I have been running, loaded, 65 lb in the front and 55 lb in the rear. No issue with heat and a noticeably less harsh ride.

I will get valve stem extenders, if needed, and plan on using the Coyote automatic tire deflators for gravel roads. I am a big believer in air down for ride comfort. I have already installed the ARB duel pump compressor with quick connect fittings and hose in the under bed boxes on each side of the truck.

After this I think the next step will be to finalize a typical all up load on the camper and truck. Then off to Puhl Spring in Spokane for custom springs sized for my specific use and weight. Probably new shocks at that time as well, more research needed here. I am confident I will end up with a truck that rides well on the freeway and will handle the washboards with more than acceptable comfort.

Bottom line is that the truck and camper work very well as is. It can only get better.

I am very very interested to hear what you come up with for springs. I think we are very similar in weight and may be interested in having two sets made....

I am currently running the same tire pressures, and I think its about right. The new ones will be a fair bit stiffer. Id love to go that route too, but my tires are nearly new, and its a big chunk of change for wheels and tires. I believe that Alcoa makes aluminum ones in the size and bolt pattern you need.

Amazing setup!! I ventured away from the site for a while only to come back and see a few great rigs and I really like this one.

If you're looking for a fantastic shock setup check out 2.5" Kings, but get with a reputable offroad shop or distributor and have them valved appropriately for your rig. Many guys in the powerstroke world run then (and I believe that's what ER runs).

Quote Originally Posted by LovinPSDs View Post
    but get with a reputable offroad shop or distributor
    Sounds like a good idea. I will be looking for one in my area. Pacific Northwest. Any suggestions?

https://www.carlisuspension.com/prod...-packages.html

These guys are outa California but are new slouches when setting up custom valves shocks. I'd give them a shout and see what they say.

https://www.carlisuspension.com/prod...-packages.html

These guys are outa California but are new slouches when setting up custom valves shocks. I'd give them a shout and see what they say.
    Exchanged emails with them. They made it clear they sell parts not integrated packages.

I'm seeing if I can get some more info for you on the powerstroke pages. Are you looking for Springs and Shocks as an integrated package or could you get the springs you were looking at previously and have someone else match the shocks?

I'm seeing if I can get some more info for you on the powerstroke pages. Are you looking for Springs and Shocks as an integrated package or could you get the springs you were looking at previously and have someone else match the shocks?
    That’s very nice of you. Thank you.

Spring and shocks could be separated. I’d think the shocks would need to be done after Springs and I certainly see the value in someone being able to tune them for the setup and weight.

Are you trying to get softer springs? Everything is a compromise and with the softer springs you will lose some stability.

The biggest improvement in ride comes from the ability to air down the tires or have some tires with more sidewall. I think you might end up disappointed if you go with something like Carli considering a fully loaded cab over camper, their springs both front and rear are not designed to work with that kind of weight.

I think you would find the most benefit for both on and off road going to a 20 inch wheel and something like 335 Conti MPT tires.
    1997 Dodge Ram CTD, 5 Speed manual, BD exhaust brake, 5x12 injectors, 4k Gov. springs, Thuren coils, Fox shocks, Stable loads, 99HD steering, Carli end links, Method Race Wheels, 295/70/18 Cooper STTMaxx tires.

2011 Northstar Adventurer

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast