Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: New Expedition Camper - Overland Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    Very nice!! Id love to see it in person some day. Are you a skier?
    That should be easy to arrange. I’m not a skier.

Having issues with posting pics. Some might be duplicates. Overland Explorer keeps humming along. They have been absolutely great to work with to date. An outstanding customer service experience so far. We are targeting the second week of November for final completion and pick up.

oregon. split between east oregon desert, and the big muddy.
    keep the duals.

Quote Originally Posted by 'round n' back again View Post
    keep the duals.

Ok

Can you expound?

Would like to have feedback from those with super single and duels experience in these types of applications.

Question about electrical outlets. Any place they’re useful that the manufacturers never seem to install them?

keep the duals.

a bit cryptic, but the intent motivating the comment is this: The uncertainty associated with choosing an alternative wheel/tire; the myriad of choices that only form other compromises in alternate situations makes the decision appear simple, at least its simple to my eyes. That is, the duals offer the greatest compromise compatibility with your chosen usage of said vehicle.
    beginning with this as baseline, other wheel tire combos can be used for specific expeditions. trips to baja might see u outfitting the rig with sand tires in sandiego.

i hear you, this rig may see 1% off road use. i drive these 550/5500 450 series a fair amount, it is nearly my last preference for off road activity. the biggest problem i always encounter with these beasts off the pavement is the weight coupled to torque, of the diesel and the resultant breakage of parts, creates compound issues for which no amount of forethought can mitigate.

your general plan is impressive, the research, thoughtful approach, and choice of components almost guarantees a successful outcome.

Thank you.

What’s your opinion of running 285/70R19.5 in a duel setup? Too much tire?

I’d really like a larger footprint up front.

285/70R19.5

the service trucks run them, and they ride like hay wagons. even when the trucks are log loaded at 19.5 and 20K pounds. a speed bump, crushes vertebrae, pot holes and unforseen obstacles are jarring.
    but they wear like iron, have puncture resistant sidewalls, are reasonably good off pavement, and kinda quiet.

my personal rig is a dually seeing very little action anymore she is, like me, old, an is my transportation and my companion in a way. i have begun to used d rate tires out back, cheaper, and might be just a bit softer riding. my go to had been the m55 toyo. no longer.

front footprint: a single larger rim. if you have duals in back, a single non dual offset wheel up front you can play with offset for tracking and tire print. this assumes the dually adapters are removable on the new truck axles like they are on the older rigs.
    aesthetically the standard single front / dual rear i appealing.
    Last edited by 'round n' back again; 10-21-2017 at 05:27 AM.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678