Gen 3 and tire noise

MoabRefugee

Observer
I agonized for nearly a year over tires, and ultimately chose KO2's in 265/75R16. Despite being Load E, the ride is great, and noise levels are actually quite low. Having replaced a RR Wheel Brg/Hub, I realize how trully quiet the tire is.

G3's are "boomy", all the more so with 3rd row removed. I have definitely experienced some uncomfortable pressure fluctuations on sharp edged hits.

Given the unibody, I think some noise reduction is in order, irrespective of tire choice, but a def +1 for KO2/G3 Monty combo.

TheFjordkeeper

I have 275/75r16 Falken AT3W's on my Gen 3. They're quieter than the Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2 AT's I had on before. I need to put some Fat Mat under the carper to quiet the whole truck down, truth be told.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Just paid for a set of 5 BFG KO2's, 285-75-16's from Costco for $1247.00 mounted, balanced, with tax etc., out the door. And FYI about going to Costco, they said they are allowed to go 3% over stock size (the ones I chose were 7.3% bigger.) They asked if it was a truck or SUV and they have more wiggle room for trucks. I told them that I had a set of this size on there before and it is also lifted. I also said I would get them mounted somewhere else if needed. They didn't argue and were just trying to follow their policy. They are being shipped so I will get them 7-5 or 7-6.
I will advise about noise.

So, disregard all of the above. Took my Montero to Costco and tried to have 285-75-16's installed. I have stock 16" wheels and they were going to rub when the wheels flex down with suspension. I do not have wheel spacers and I am not going to buy new wheels since I don't have money for that and especially since there are very few hubcentric wheels available that would fit. I got a full refund and bought a set of Kumho AT-51's from Tires Online out of La Mirada. $788.71 out the door. I will get them on 7-17-17 and then get them installed up the street at the local shop for about $80.00

I will advise about noise.

Last edited:

Offroadmuch

Explorer
I have KO2s, relatively quiet so far (about 10k miles) not silent thou, no A/T will be silent on a Gen 3. WAY quieter that Falken Wild Peak A/Ts that I had on a while back. Never had Coopers so I cannot compare to that.

Hey Plh, PM sent regarding tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz