An authentic Greek-Mediterranean delicacy for camping - Overlanders' favorite

thepinproject

Adventurer
Food in the camping must be easy, quick, -if possible- cheap, with ingredients easy to carry and find. But most important must be DELICIOUS.

This is one of our favorites picks & we cook this food quite often just because we can find what we need literally everywhere.

Name: Kagianas or Strapatsada (or in Greek καγιανάς ή στραπατσάδα).

Ingredients for 2-3 people

6 medium tomatoes
5 eggs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp oregano
2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 tsp Paprika, cayenne pepper or chili (or anything spicy like Tabasco etc)
2 tbsp Olive oil

Optional
1/2 cup Feta cheese or any hard goat cheese or just yellow cheese

Prep time: 10'
Total time: 30'

Recipe

Grade the tomatoes or cut in really small cubes. In a hot pan, add the tomatoes with the salt. Cook until all water of the tomatoes is vaporized and all you have in your pan is a nice fresh juicy tomato paste. Then, you add the sugar, pepper & the tomato paste. Stir well. Add paprika or Tabasco and then the olive oil. Stir & let it for 2'.

Beat the eggs, add to the tomato paste and stir. (Alternatively, you can break & add the eggs as if frying them)

Add the cheese and allow 1-2' until the eggs are cooked. (Alternatively, you can let the eggs to be cooked sunny side up).

Kagianas is ready. Drizzle more olive oil, season with oregano & pepper. Serve with lots of bread and cold beer!

We have encountered very similar or exactly the same food in Ethiopia & Israel so far. Israelis they call it Shakshuka and they add green peppers, onions, garlic & more spices. Ethiopians, they cook it like Israelis but they season it with a local spicy stuff they call berber which is very similar to paprika.

After 5 years on the roads of Africa, Europe and America, kagianas is one of our favorite foods and we highly recommended it as a fast & easy food for the camping.

P7255551.JPG

P7255554.JPG

wickychicky

Observer
The Balkan states do something similar, adding green peppers and leaving some of the juice in.
I have to say you recipe sounds delicious: will be trying it this week!

Whichever way you cook it, I agree it hits all the right buttons for campers worldwide!

jymmiejamz

Adventurer
I prefer shakshuka since you are basically poaching the eggs in the tomatoes. I only like eggs with a runny yolk. I'll give this a try as my wife would probably like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles