2017 f150 SCAB 2WD 2.7...Adding an elock?

juiceman9998

Hi, new to the forum and was wondering on what peoples opinions are on adding an elocker to a 2017 ford f150 scab 2.7 with 3.13 gears. I am interested in doing some more off the path road trips with my wife and child and I think it would give me some piece of mind if paired with a proper set of AT tires. Mind you I am not thinking of doing any heavy rock climbing just more along the lines of unkept road and trails. Just looking to beef up the baility to get through some mud and water occasionally.

p nut

butter
I think the elocker would help some, but you may want to look into a pair of Maxtrax and a winch. That would be a cheaper and more effective way to go.

TripLeader

Explorer
Probably better to sell the truck and buy a 4 or so year-old model with 50k miles that has 4wd.
-----
You'll always be wanting it, so it's better to do it now.
-----
I know it's not what you asked, but this is the internet so I'm giving my opinion anyway.:)

Trophycummins

Adventurer
The Elocker in my 17 f150 works great, but if I was in your shoes I'd be getting gears and a manual auto locker like a Detroit. 3.13 gears sounds rough...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stormhorns

The Presence
A lot of good info. Heres my 2 cents;

- 2wd with a auto/manual locker or a truetrac will get you to a lot of places, especially if you stick to semi-maintained roads. throw in some self recovery gear (maxtrax, winch, etc.) and you'd be in
decent shape.

- 3.13 gears will probably be your biggest issue if you run some larger/heavier tires. On the plus side, it cost a lot less to re-gear 1 axle instead of 2. Add a locker while you're at it and save some
money there also.

- Eventually, sooner or later, you will probably find yourself wanting 4wd (even for "just in case" moments).

- If you can, take the truck out to a (populated) local trail/off highway vehicle park(OHV) and drive around a bit. See if it does what you would like it to do, and go from there. If you immediately see
trails that look like you imagine doing now/in the future, and your truck just isn't up to it. It might be worth trading in on a stock 4x4 w/locker. However, if you can go down the trails you want and
feel happy with it then I'd say throw a couple grand into the truck over time and wheel the hell out of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles