Simple radio

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The newer Yaesu can accept an SD card, that's probably the way to do it. Like buying maps for GPS receivers you could buy programs for radios.

Demo243

The newer Yaesu can accept an SD card, that's probably the way to do it. Like buying maps for GPS receivers you could buy programs for radios.

The only catch with the Yaesu - which may or may not be a problem is there is no programing software for Mac... only PC. Thankfully I have an old PC laptop that still functions enough to run RT systems. For a mobile the micro SD card is nice cause you can program it in your living room and then just pop the card in the radio and copy it over instead of having to bring your laptop out to the truck.

Also if you do alot of traveling you could look at the new ICOM 4100 - it is a GPS / APRS ready and capable radio with a Smart phone app. It apparently can use the GPS in the radio to scan your saved stations and show you the closest ones. So can use repeater book or one of the other repeater apps and load all the stations you might pass by and then use the GPS function to pull up those close to you instead of having to remember them all. If it was a dual receive I probably would have gone that route.... but I couldnt beat the price on the Yaesu 100dr so I went that route.

The main issue is that there is no requirement to list your repeater anyplace, so you need to cobble together multiple lists to to get as many repeaters as you can. Even then, you'll wind up missing some.

The largest programming set I'm aware of is the ID-5100 which has 1500 gps-aware memories. It's really quite sad.

All the listed repeaters across the multiple sources I pull from in the US fits into a 3MB text file. A 128MB non volatile memory chip is about $0.15 and would hold every repeater on the planet.

Modern radios do have enough memory for day-to-day usage, including 2 day long road trips, but they don't have enough memories to satisfy long haul truckers with variable routes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles