Why is Howling Moon So Bad at Business?

Stryder106

Explorer
I've been researching RTTs since the Fall and came down to Howling Moon or Eezi-Awn as my RTT of choice due to quality and longevity. My decision was between the Howling Moon Stargazer Tourer 1.4 and the Eezi-Awn T-Top Xklusiv 1400. I chose the Howling Moon for it's additional features of the open roof and larger annex. That choice was in early March - and I'm still waiting to get a ship date.
//
Wil at Sierra Expeditions (NA Distributor for HM) has been awesome, but they don't return his calls - perhaps once every few weeks he'll get an email or a text. But, these guys have now ruined my summer because I built an overbed rack for the RTT so I can't use my other tent - which means I've now had to cancel on two trips. I am not cancelling on my trip in September, so I'm giving it a few more weeks to get a definitive ship/arrival date or I'm switching to Eezi-Awn.
//
I do global supply chain for a Fortune 50 company and for the life of me - I don't understand how these guys are in business and haven't surrendered all global marketshare. I get the quality is great and the features are awesome, but none of that does anyone any good if you can't actually get the tent.
//
What's worse is they don't even make excuses to Wil, they just don't call or email back for weeks at a time. Note to Howling Moon - if you wish to compete in the US marketplace (ya know - the BIGGEST most lucrative marketplace on the planet) - you need to get your manufacturing and supply chain issues sorted out and hire some folks who are on the ball when it comes to replying to your one and only NA Distributor. With as much as they charge for a TENT and the fact that the US market is now getting flooded with less expensive (albeit lower quality) tents that are very readily available - you'd think they would understand that for what it is - pent up demand that is looking for instant fulfillment.
//
Have any of you guys had similar experiences or is this something new?

Box Rocket

Tepui Ruggedized. :) Open roof, large annex, excellent quality and longevity, lower cost. Most importantly, excellent customer service before and after purchase.

billum v2.0

Pay no attention to Adam's (Box Rocket) post above, he sells the stuff and is biased.

You want the real scoop on Tepui Ruggedized, ask an owner. I'll volunteer. Here's the real skinny on Tepui...............

Open Roof...........large annex...............very good quality................You can compare costs. And most importantly, customer service that under promises and over delivers.

An example of the last part. we were leaving for Moab in 5 days time when I decided to add a third cross rail mounting point on my roof rack and needed additional attachment hardware for the RTT. Called Tepui customer service (yeah, they have people who answer the phone.........don't dismiss this) and discussed my needed parts and timeline. Items shipped that afternoon and had in my hands the day before leaving.

Good stuff sold AND BACKED by good folks.

DSCN2352_zps98lyayyj.jpg

Last edited:

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
Don't know about HM, but I can verify what bilum said. Tepui Quality is great, and service is exceptional. I had a problem with my ladder, sent them an e-mail, and it was fixed immediately. I've also e-mailed them a few times with questions and always had quick responses. Even though I don't have the ruggedized version, the standard versions could probably last a lifetime in normal use. I'd look at their offerings and take a quick trip up to the factory in Santa Cruz, they'll even install the tent on the car for you.

High Country Nomad

Mountain Explorer
Being in transporation myself, I actually reached out to Howling Moon a few years ago to import and resell a container worth of Tents, however no response. I've own 3 RTT's over the past few years, and my favorite was the Eezi Awn Series 3 1200. I've since sold all my tents and now sleep on a cot under an awning and add walls when the weather gets bad. Don't let not having a RTT stop you from getting out there. They aren't all that great.

vs_jk

You should check out Freespirit Recreation for excellent RTT's at reasonable prices AND great customer service.

Stryder106

Explorer
Being in transporation myself, I actually reached out to Howling Moon a few years ago to import and resell a container worth of Tents, however no response. I've own 3 RTT's over the past few years, and my favorite was the Eezi Awn Series 3 1200. I've since sold all my tents and now sleep on a cot under an awning and add walls when the weather gets bad. Don't let not having a RTT stop you from getting out there. They aren't all that great.

I quite literally just built an overbed rack for a RTT and reconfigured my entire setup for it. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.........................

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
I quite literally just built an overbed rack for a RTT and reconfigured my entire setup for it. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.........................

Hell, don't take one person's opinion about RTTs as law. Don't lose your dream. I haven't regretted getting my RTT. Had it for 5 yrs now. They're not perfect, but what is?

Last edited:

ttengineer

Adventurer
For what it's worth, I emailed Howling Moon a few months back, inquiring about who their NA distributor was. I did this because after numerous phone calls and emails to Sierra, I received no response. HM got back to me in under 48hrs and said they no longer dealt with anyone in the US but would be happy to ship to me directly.

I'll see if I can find the email.

I would email them directly. What may have happened, this is purely speculation, is Sierra quit paying their bills to HM and HM will no longer ship to them until past due accounts are closed.

I've seen it happen 1000s of times with companies in construction and outdoor retailers.

Just a thought. I'd still email HM directly ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tfry45

I have a free spirit recreation one and am pleased with it. There customer service is very good and I got mine when they had free shipping.

Stryder106

Explorer
For what it's worth, I emailed Howling Moon a few months back, inquiring about who their NA distributor was. I did this because after numerous phone calls and emails to Sierra, I received no response. HM got back to me in under 48hrs and said they no longer dealt with anyone in the US but would be happy to ship to me directly.

I'll see if I can find the email.

I would email them directly. What may have happened, this is purely speculation, is Sierra quit paying their bills to HM and HM will no longer ship to them until past due accounts are closed.

I've seen it happen 1000s of times with companies in construction and outdoor retailers.

Just a thought. I'd still email HM directly ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. Based on this, I sent HM an email the other day - no response yet. For the record, I don't think that is the case with Wil/Sierra. The reason I say that is I contacted him looking for either an Eezi-Awn or a HM tent - he sells both - so I figured that would be a more credible way to go than asking someone who sells one or the other. He explained everything and then convinced me the HM was the way to go. He could have easily recommended the EZ-A, or 23Zero, or ARB if he was having issues with HM. Also, I ordered an ARB fridge from him and it showed up from ARB with zero issues. But, you do raise an interesting point that I had not previously considered, so thanks for that. It is certainly worth checking - which I am doing. Thanks again.

Mgyver1

Observer
Did you check with Adventure Ready to see if they had any in stock? https://adventure-ready.com/store/howling-moon-stargazer-tourer-rooftop-tent/ They're based in Seattle, WA. FWIW, I have a HM 1.4 Stargazer Tourer and am very happy with it. I too wanted to get a great quality tent and did not want something made in China. I picked the HM over Eezi Awn for the stargazer option and the better annex, although I haven't ordered an annex yet. I bought mine from Sierra Expeditions in August of 2015 and have thoroughly enjoyed it, but this was when they had them in stock. No clue why they are having problems coming to America but hopefully they get it sorted out. I'd really like to see them have a strong presence here instead of our only options being between all the Chinese copies.

Stryder106

Explorer
Thanks - just called Adventure Ready - they sell them, but haven't been able to get them for months now. Seems like HM is having themselves an issue.

dstock

Explorer
Pay no attention to Adam's (Box Rocket) post above, he sells the stuff and is biased.

I wouldn't "pay no attention" to Adam's (Box Rocket) post, he does sell the stuff and is one of the guys who provides excellent customer service, and has been a member of this forum for a long time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles