Recommend me a RTT: Hard shell, fully open, XL, w/ annex?

M Threezy

Hello all,

I've been researching a ton and can't come up with the perfect/right tent. This is going on a Mercedes G-Wagen and sometimes a Land Cruiser FJ62.

• Hardshell
  • Fully open - wife's requirement, are the half shells just as good?
  • Able to fit an annex
  • XL or long size for taller people
  • Fit 2 adults 1-2 small kids (2 adults and a new born now, but planning for the future, just in case, we want to keep this for at least 10 years)

I looked at the Rocky Mountain Outdoor Xpedition and really like it with it checking most boxes, but it's a big snug for us. I like the fact it fits an annex easily, however, the shipping and duty from Canada to US is close to $700 USD extra or more. http://rmtents.com/roof-top-camping-tents.php

Thank you!

D90Rovin

Observer
Where are you located?
Might want to check for dealers or owners in your area that can show you their set up.
I have never heard of the RockyMountain tents. Do you know if they are made in China? I ask because we have similar Chinese tents already in the US for cheaper (after doing the conversion plus shipping + duty) and it may be worth contacting them for an annex option.

M Threezy

I'm in Northern California and there doesn't seem to be many dealers here at all. Not sure if the RockyMountain is made in China, but I would bet it is.

gaap master

SE Expedition Society
Interesting design on the hard shell with the annex. I haven't seen that before. Wish James Baroud would offer something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
I wouldn't really expect anything else.

You are asking for them to basically do all the work to see if you can cobble a solution together. I work in the industry and i wouldn't devote to the time to that.
Typically one email turns into a 20 email chain and a guy has wasted 10 hours over 5-7 days for the sale of something that the company gets maybe 20% of.

Heard back from Rocky Mountain Outdoor. They ignored all my questions (of which there were two or three), ignored request for photos, and simply said the annex won't work with the James Baroud tents. Guess they're not interested in selling anything. Too bad.

Shredgnar

FYI I just bought an extremely similar RTT on Ebay for about $1800 (free shipping), but it is green not orange. (dang! they just dropped the price even lower to $1699. Search Blackfin on eBay) Looks exactly like the RMO one you were looking at without the annex. I think the basic shell is coming from China and these companies are just putting their names on them.

The RMO one looks they just sewed on some velcro for the awning. You could literally buy one like mine, sew/glue on some velcro, and buy their annex for $499, and save yourself almost $1500. Of course theirs is that sweet orange color...

I haven't seen that annex design. I might think about getting one and doing just what I'm recommending.

Last edited:

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Sounds like you expect a lot from your equipment having a G-Wagon

Let's explore the boxes you are requiring

Hardshell - quite a few choices in styles and materials. The lighter the shells, generally the higher the price. The ones coming from China tend to weigh more

Fully Open - I take it you are also looking at a Columbus style tent that is hinged at one end. My wife really prefers them as it is easier to change clothes. Better for warmer weather, some really open up a lot. Check mattress thickness because in warm weather you don't need as thick of a mattress and manufacturers can save weight and cost. Open and close in a heartbeat, and very convenient. The Maggiolina style, rises on both ends tend to be better for cold and very cold temperatures. Built more like a mountaineering tent. Some manufacturers offer higher roofs so you can store more bedding inside and have just that little more headroom, again important in cold weather. They are generally designed to be short to minimize internal volume, again a cold weather thing. You have to special order XL sizes.

Able to fit an annexs - This one is a question mark. You are sending out a mixed message as the hard-shells are designed to be quick and easy and annexes are not. There are annexes available but I'm not a big fan of them. The Verandah style, as shown in your link, are designed as place markers when you are camping in a park. Something of a knock off of a European design, and they use their tents differently by setting up the Verandah at their campsite and using it to store their gear. They will leave them up all summer, like a second home. Heavy and cumbersome. They do make more simple designs that use bars attached to the base of the tents that you can't leave. These are much more simple and fast to set up but you really need a sail or awning maker to adapt to fit your use. I have a custom built awning for mine designed for more temperate but really wet conditions.

XL for taller people - Think of your tent more like a sleeping bag. I generally go up there to sleep, and they aren't the best for hanging out in during the day. If I bring my wife and she is going to stay at base camp, I bring a heavy duty easy up for day shelter. Again, it all depends on the type of camping and conditions you go out in. If you are going out in temperatures below 30 degrees, especially if you are by yourself, then a smaller tent makes sense. I had a Maggiolina Alpine, back in the '90's, that was designed for Switzerland and Germany, and was really good for winter camping as it was especially cold. Once buttoned up, it was surprisingly warm.

2 Adults and small kids - here you also have to look at your rig. G-Wagons generally fit a medium sized tent which is good for two adults on a long journey or a couple adults and a small child or two in a pinch. The large tents start to get heavy and are really cumbersome. If you are going to fit one on your top full time, it might mess with your fuel mileage. They get a funny "end plate" effect if they hang out over the sides of your roof which really disturb the airflow. A medium tent might actually improve your aerodynamics and mileage. I'm also not a big fan of tents that weigh more than 135 pounds as they are difficult to get on and off and start to affect the vehicle's handling. That is just me, there is an ongoing debate on this.

Hope this give you more of a user's critique rather than a manufacturer's hype. We have crossed the country many times and have found our hard shelled tents invaluable and improve the experience. If I was buying a tent for a couple weekends a year, I'd buy a nice ground tent, yes, I have two ground tents and like them a lot.

Crazy Schooner

Fortune's A Mistress
I had a rocky mountain hardshell. Your better off saving cash with a non-branded alternative. The fibreglass has some large cracks forming near the rivets holding the clasps on top, and the tent was used 6-8 times at most. The ladder also grabs onto the tent with just a couple flimsy plastic tabs. That and it wasn't perfectly stable side to side, it had more movement then I liked. Also the mounting rails got loose really quick, and rocky mountain thought it would be a good idea to cover the floor (and bolt heads) with fabric. So I couldn't access anything to try and tighten the rails down without cutting said fabric. Beyond that the size was nice.

If you wanted an autohome columbus beware of the fact the tent doesn't like to close at all with any sort of bedding inside + the ladder. That and bug screens are velcrod on from the inside and stored in door pockets when not in use. I replaced it with a Hannibal Impi and really enjoy it compared to the other two.

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Interesting design on the hard shell with the annex. I haven't seen that before. Wish James Baroud would offer something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds like these guys (Rocky Mountain Outdoor Co.) might be here in BC. I've sent them an email to find out how the annex attaches, and whether it can be viewed anywhere around here. If I come up with a way to make it work with my JB Explorer, I'll post up the details.

I suspect there's simply a c-channel at the top of the tent that allows you to slide-in the fabric from the annex, and that's all there is to it. I'd imagine something like that could be sewn in on the JB without much of an issue.

the way to do it is an awning with room and hard top. Ive had soft and now a James Baroud.

Way worth the expense.

Heard back from Rocky Mountain Outdoor. They ignored all my questions (of which there were two or three), ignored request for photos, and simply said the annex won't work with the James Baroud tents. Guess they're not interested in selling anything. Too bad.

James Baroud has finally after much customer request created an annex or vestibule for our hard shell RTT's. I will post up a separate thread tomorrow to not sidetrack this thread. :)

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
James Baroud has finally after much customer request created an annex or vestibule for our hard shell RTT's. I will post up a separate thread tomorrow to not sidetrack this thread. :)

Rino, be sure to mention how this mystery annex works with a Space Evo... (if it will work with the Space). I might have found my next toy!

M Threezy

Please do share and post a link up in this thread. Thanks!

Thanks all for the feedback! I have decided on the James Baroud Evasion or Grand Raid with the awning and awning enclosure, unless Rino introduces something different.

brentbba

Explorer

Oh, Oh, Oh - it's tomorrow...even here on the left coast. Info please! :wings: I've got an Evasion arriving at my local JB dealer in SoCal, Nomad Ventures in July. I'd seriously considered the Maggie because of it's changing room, but didn't like the way it mounted and just loved everything about the JB. VERY CURIOUS about the new JB offering!!!!!! :drool::drool::drool:

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Whaaaaaaat?!?!?

Gimme gimme!

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...es-Baroud-Tunnel-Awning?p=2323105#post2323105 :)

Rino, be sure to mention how this mystery annex works with a Space Evo... (if it will work with the Space). I might have found my next toy!

We currently have the tunnel awning for the Explorer, Evasion and Grand Raid. The Space would be a bit tricky!

Please do share and post a link up in this thread. Thanks!

Thanks all for the feedback! I have decided on the James Baroud Evasion or Grand Raid with the awning and awning enclosure, unless Rino introduces something different.

Either would work perfectly with the new Tunnel Awning, the best part is you can choose your annex size and add the wall kit for up to a massive 8' x 8' annex.

Oh, Oh, Oh - it's tomorrow...even here on the left coast. Info please! :wings: I've got an Evasion arriving at my local JB dealer in SoCal, Nomad Ventures in July. I'd seriously considered the Maggie because of it's changing room, but didn't like the way it mounted and just loved everything about the JB. VERY CURIOUS about the new JB offering!!!!!! :drool::drool::drool:

Congrats on your new JB! The new Tunnel Awning will be shipping in August and will be available from your local dealer Nomad Ventures as soon as they land.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94