canter rims

engineer

Adventurer
Sorry i haven't measured it for you yet, both my little 649 have been working in daintree, i will get to see them eventually......

pattersonimages

Adventurer
and...

Looks like my started project will have a new home this week, but the rims will not be headed out with her! ( at this point) SO, I am now sitting on the above mentioned 18"x9" stocktons... anyone with an older FG interested pm me... I'd like to get out what I spent... or somewhere reasonably close. It will save you the 2 month wait! Only thing is.. the are in BC Canada, and they are HEAVY!!!

Thanks
Jeff

pattersonimages

Adventurer
Check yer mail

Hey, come by this next couple days to check them out... Sounds like the buyer is taking them... but it'll give you something to look at if your considering it! You have my number!
Jeff

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
i got to drive the new model Fg 4x4 yesterday, very nice!!!!!

C'mon. You can't keep that to yourself. What about a mini report. We were told they were still a while away or at least the ADR compliance was. Was it a "demo only"/preview vehicle?

Very interested in the chassis changes, cab shape, suspension etc. We have almost finished our first "Euro IV" Isuzu 300 4x4. Far out. Completely new truck. Virtually no carry over components from the last model. A bit high tech for me though.

I have always liked the old and curent FG's and NPS's because they are so easy to modify but the new model NPS 300 looks scary as far as the modifications go. Very restrictive for a second stage manufacurer. However when you compare a standard new model to a standard old model they are just awesome. A quantum leap from the old in every respect. Very keen to see the new FG. I bet they will be a big jump too.

Oh no gear change cables > They're vacuum operated. That will make you guys happy but definitely not the beach operators. How did you get on with your cracked crossmember?

haven

Expedition Leader
Just to avoid confusion, the Fuso FG model just introduced to Australia is the same as the FG sold in USA and Canada for the past two years. So (finally) the cool stuff being developed Down Under for the Fuso will bolt right up to USA versions. Except for the left hand vs right hand drive issue.

Last January, Fuso in USA said they would have an announcement about the FG in Fall of 2008. Well, here we are, and there's nothing new to report. However, Fuso is offering special financing or free diesel for a year if you purchase a new FG.

Maybe they are trying to clear inventory before announcing an improved model. Or maybe the special deals are just an attempt to avoid going out of business like other medium truck makers have.

Chip Haven

engineer

Adventurer
I forgot to measure the bloody rims again... AARRRGGHHH!!!!
The new FG is nice, i'll get some pics tomorrow. they are HEAPS quieter than the superceeded model. New engine, box and remodelled tranny by the look of it too. still the 4mm rear chassis section :mad: still the short springs, gone is the umbrella hand brake, the storage built into the middle seat, T,case selector is where the gear shift was, gearshift now on the dash.
Heaps of get up and go, but you hit a brick wall at 3000 rpm, and it is a big brick wall.

whatcharterboat

The new FG is nice, i'll get some pics tomorrow. they are HEAPS quieter than the superceeded model. New engine, box and remodelled tranny by the look of it too. still the 4mm rear chassis section still the short springs, gone is the umbrella hand brake, the storage built into the middle seat, T,case selector is where the gear shift was, gearshift now on the dash.
Heaps of get up and go, but you hit a brick wall at 3000 rpm, and it is a big brick wall.

I'm really keen to see your pics. Chip says that they have had our new model for the last 2 years in the US but do they have the Euro IV spec? (Chip, Can you confirm this???).

I know on the new Euro IV Isuzu, the exhaust system is the most complicated thing I've ever seen. It has a DPD (Distillate Particle Diffuser) and what looks to be a variable back pressure valve behind that. Also a variable output turbo controlled by an electric servo????. Hope nothing goes wrong in the bush. Also I've heard of other second stage manufacturers changing the lengths of the exhaust pipe and then finding that the engine management won't cope at all. Luckily we were warned first.

But overall as I said before, they are a huge improvement. Really big cab with the mud flaps on the doors which make it easier to enter / egress, pretty much better everything than the last model >>, longer front springs (still not as long as ours though), optional navigation and dual camera system connected to the LCD media screen on the dash. Push button 4wd/Hi Lo , airbags, Michelin M+S tyres, new wider chassis (850 mm) with straight rails (I much prefer the step down on the FG but). Could go on and on. Completely new in every respect.

I haven't driven this Isuzu yet. Pulled it apart straight away but hope to get a drive in a couple of weeks when it's finished.

I know the new FG is supposed to have alot more grunt but I've driven old ones with trick "Vortex" exhausts including 3" exhaust valves, chipped computers, modded turbos, etc and with the taller gearing of the bigger wheels and they are awesome. So good on fuel and power. I think the new era of Euro IV , V, etc is going to severely limit the modification scene and what we do at work.

Even mounting water and long range fuel tanks between the rails is a tough one with all of the hardware under there. Not to mention dramas fitting winches and bullbars because of the Airbags. Oh well. Sign of the times I suppose.

Luckily the cab is so big because this one we are doing at the moment is for a guy who is about 6'4" with a walking disability and it will end up with a suspension seat and a clutch pedal mod to make things easier for him.

Chip. If you read this, do you know if Isuzu are considering moving into the North American market yet to compete directly with Fuso?

Actually we have 4 different model Isuzu's in our workshop at the moment ('93, '04, '07 and the '08) so I should line them up next week and take a pick. Also have a very tough looking SWB '07/'08 FG I'll take a pick of that too cause it would be a great size for a camper. Engineer is your bus a SWB?

Take it easy. John

whatcharterboat

Chip. If you read this, do you know if Isuzu are considering moving into the North American market yet to compete directly with Fuso?

I know you made a comment about this a couple of months back but I was wondering if you heard anything new. It will have to happen soon, I'm sure.

engineer

Adventurer
Also have a very tough looking SWB '07/'08 FG I'll take a pick of that too cause it would be a great size for a camper. Engineer is your bus a SWB?

Take it easy. John[/QUOTE]

[
CapeYorkwithross030.jpg

whatcharterboat

Swb

CapeYorkwithross030.jpg

Yeah The shorties look great. You know we hardly ever build 'em. Only done a couple since I started but I reckon they are just the perfect size for an expedition vehicle. I'm sure you get flooded with questions about it when you're out doing tours and probably, it'll get snapped up quick when you retire it by someone wanting to build a camper.

Actually I've seen that truck before when I was visiting family up in the Daintree. You probably even had our fuel in it. Haha.

John

alan

Explorer
Yeah,
There a great size, finally took the old tray of mine to see what i've got, has anyone considered removing 1/2 the leaf spring packs front and rear and adding coil springs to improve the ride? as they do with toyota's.

whatcharterboat

Alan. Gidday.

Yeah , I'm pretty sure my boss tried it about 10 years ago. I know we've got a pic of it on the wall in the office. We've tried airbags too but they're still not as good as the longer leaf spring packs. Sure a full coil setup is the go but half coil and half leaf???

IMO It's the length of the standard leaf that's the restricting factor and that won't change just by adding coils. Sure there may be some improvement in the ride but you can improve them a lot more than this and without too much more work (especially while the tray is off).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles