Which comes first - Fridge slide, or solar to power fridge?

swduncan

Observer
Ok, I've got an ARB 63qt fridge, and it's awesome.

So far I've never gone without moving the truck at least once a day when using it - 3 kids, last minute planning, lots of trips out to get whatever from wherever. No battery issues so far - truck's about 3 years old.

But I'm going to Cape Lookout NS in July and will be parked for (I think) a few days at least. OTOH we might end up exploring in the truck, so who knows, but will need power whether it's running the truck or solar.

I drive a pickup, and dragging the fridge in and out is a pain. A slide would be sweet. I've thought about home building, but so far I'm still looking at the ARB slide.

I know I will end up with both eventually, but right now it would be easier if I went for just one - both are roughly the same cost the way I'm going to do them.

Right now I'm leaning toward solar, but wanted to get another perspective...

Anyone out there in the same boat?

Steve

crusaderJK

Adventurer
Looks like solar power is a necessity, while the fridge slide only makes it more convenient to get to your food.
Solar first!

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Agreed, knock out priorities in order. You might be able to trade that slick slide/mount to the guy who gives you a jump start when your battery's dead.

Stryder106

Explorer
Wby not add a third consideration: Installing a dual battery setup? It would resolve your fridge power issues and give you a backup for while you're out and about in the back country. I also just purchased the ARB63 and the slide (haven't installed them yet), but I already have a dual battery setup installed. From everything I've seen, you can go three days without starting the truck - but I wouldn't try that with just a single battery to rely on.

grogie

Like to Camp
I had also thought about a slide, but I didn't think that it was really a must have. Since I bought my Jeep in 2005, I've been dragging a cooler in and out on trips, which frankly was tiring, and last month I finally installed a Tembo Tusk slide. I ended up building a false floor that uses the bolts and holes that the rear seat used, and than the slide attaches to the false floor. I can't tell you how awesome it is! In fact I liked the improvement so much that I than ordered a Snomaster fridge, which I'm currently working on setting up a dual battery system using the National Luna split charge.

The false floor...

k5Fkg1.jpg

ezygCd.jpg

The slide is very well built and easy to use. I can't believe I went as long as I did without it...

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Slide

Slide first, no question. I've gone years on a single battery and no solar for the fridge, but only lasted 3 major trps without wanting a shelf over the fridge for more stack ability, which meant a slide was a necessity. I love it and I've never looked back.

If I was not trying to use the space above the fridge in my JK, I might think slightly differently, but I doubt it.

swduncan

Observer
I had also thought about a slide, but I didn't think that it was really a must have. Since I bought my Jeep in 2005, I've been dragging a cooler in and out on trips, which frankly was tiring, and last month I finally installed a Tembo Tusk slide. I ended up building a false floor that uses the bolts and holes that the rear seat used, and than the slide attaches to the false floor. I can't tell you how awesome it is! In fact I liked the improvement so much that I than ordered a Snomaster fridge, which I'm currently working on setting up a dual battery system using the National Luna split charge.

The false floor...

k5Fkg1.jpg

ezygCd.jpg

The slide is very well built and easy to use. I can't believe I went as long as I did without it...

Hi Gogle - Which slide is that? It looks like it has dual slides so it comes out further. I've checked the Tembo site, but they very little information about travel. Same with ARB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles