fzj80 axle swap into 3rd gen 4runner

andysgreenxj

Observer
Has anyone on the forum done a sas on a 3rd gen 4runner using fzj80 axles? Seriously thinking about it using fab parts from ruff stuff for the links and mounts... Any thoughts would be appriciated:bike_rider:

Well, I think the main issue would be the width of the 80 Series front axle assembly. Though having a solid front axle that is "slightly" (1 - 2 inches) wider than the stock 4Runner frontend would help with clearance of bigger, wider tires.

Another idea would be using the 80 Series high-pinion 8 inch third member in a Diamond or Rock Assault housing.

Good luck on the build!

Alan

bkg

Explorer
Unless you go with hellfire knuckles, steering is going to be a bit of a challenge. In the rear, you'll have to contend with the offset diff.

If you can handle that, they are great axles. But... I personally would just get a diamond

andysgreenxj

Observer
Thanks for the input guys! Just trying to figure out the logistics of it all, to see whether or not if its worth it to do the swap, or just stick to the original plan of a widetrack set up from total chaos...:ylsmoke:

jsnow

Adventurer
The biggest issue is the diff is on the opposite side. You would either need to adapt to a gear driven t-case, or as stated earlier, do a custom front housing. I wouldn't worry about the width, it's only 3" wider and you can run wheel spacers on the rear to match the width.

zidaro

Explorer
Ruffstuff is the new owner of Hellfire Knuckles.

But- seriously consider the Knuckle/Hysteer option that Brian at FrontRangeOffroad now offers (Diamond Axle).

Pirate4x4.com is your research friend in this dept.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz