Camp stereo

akpostal

Adventurer
A friend of mine has been known to shoot stereos of strangers out on the river, which is dumb seeing as we all seem to be armed for bears. At the beginning of our floats phones get turned off and double ziplocked, and no stereos.

When I went camping with my bother and his family, I had to threaten to pull the car battery to keep him from noise pollution with the radio. I wont even bring a radio solo camping/floating.

kdeleon

Observer
Noise pollution aside, i have a Sony SRS-x5 which produces great sound. I use it in the patio and camping. Volume mostly for the immediate camp but when dispersed camping i turn it up when the kids want to go dancing. Lots of times the car stereo works to pipe in some tunes while enjoying the fire. Nothing like listening to the oldies reminiscing your youth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FJOE

Regular Dude
I will second the UE Boom series. I have the Boom and the Boom Mini, and both are great. You can get the app on your phone, and calibrate the speakers and download updates as well.

Flat_Ernie

Observer
does it atleast come with a free yeti cooler?!?!
you can get some pretty awesome bluetooth speakers for <$50

If you honestly think that, yuo dont know what awesome really is
The sound quality and overall greatness of a 50.00 skullcandy speaker is garbage compared to the 150+ speakers.

And Bose speakers generate high quality sound with very good base out of tiny speakers. I use the soundlink mini - not very waterproof or anything, but usually it's inside with me. Normally it's paired to an MP3 player or my phone.

For those concerned about noise pollution - they also make awesome bluetooth, noise cancelling ear buds that are amazing.

dlh62c

Explorer
I use a SiriusXM Portable Speaker Dock SD2 for my Satellite radio. Having English speaking radio in Mexico helped me keep my sanity.

Lykos

Super Trucker
Much of my music now comes from Amazon Prime.. You can download music for free (to a limited number of devices) so that you can listen offline.

I've had Prime for years but never knew this. Since reading your comment I've been downloading gobs of music.
I truly appreciate you chiming in. Thank you!

Chili

Explorer
I've had Prime for years but never knew this. Since reading your comment I've been downloading gobs of music.
I truly appreciate you chiming in. Thank you!

You know about their TV streaming services too, right?!? I use my FireTV all the time!

Haha, no worries though. I knew about it for a while before trying it, and one day I was trying to explain a song to a friend and downloaded it. It was at that point I realized how easy it is and I have used it regularly ever since!

Search for playlists too, there are some really good ones!

RoyJ

Adventurer
Here's what I rock, a Klipsch KMC 3, about the largest "portable" speaker you can buy:

c700x420.jpg

Runs on 8 D cells. I use a 12V DC to 18V DC laptop power supply to power it from my deep cycles. About 50 watts true RMS.

gildo

My 50cal boom box.
I've since completed it, the grilles are bolted on and it has a pair of bumper rails on the end to protect the plastic parts.
USB, FM, TF Card, Aux input and Bluetooth.
Charger and remote store inside the can.

Attachments

• IMG_7111.jpg
    IMG_7111.jpg
    487.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7109.jpg
    IMG_7109.jpg
    455.7 KB · Views: 19

Chili

Explorer
I was in a Brookstone store the other day and ran across their outdoor speakers, which seemed really nice. The sound was really good and they are supposed to be weatherproof and whatnot. The battery life is listed as 4.5 hours per charge, which isn't terrible either. Though I'm sure that higher volumes and more bass will cut that time down. Anyhow, they seem worth checking out. I'm considering picking one up, and if I like it maybe one or two more. I would probably use them at home mostly, on the back patio, but would be nice to throw in the rig for trips too.

http://www.brookstone.com/big-blue-...ml?bkiid=lp_02C0301_062917_big_blue_party_360

Meili

Adventurer
No useful information but reminded me of a prank I played on a camping trip years ago.

One of our friends girlfriends (now wife) was totally freaked out by the movie " Deliverance". Not sure why "she" was freaked out.

Just go, " da ding ding, ding ding, ding ding diiiiing", she would start jumping around screaming.

So one late night camping I closed the window in my VW bug that was facing camp, opened the window facing out into the woods.

I had made a cassette with 10 minutes of dead space then Dueling Banjos from the soundtrack would start.

Cranked the stereo, hit play and settled down in my tent with my girlfriend (now my wife).

10 minutes later you hear the banjos that sound like they are coming from deep in the woods.

10 minutes and 15 seconds all hell breaks out in their tent. Never laughed so hard!

She did not sleep that night.

To this day, 25+ years later, she will still bring it up.

You could always go John Cusack!

Attachments

• john c.jpg
    john c.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 15

TwinStick

Explorer
I love music. Almost all kinds. Not into heavy metal or opera. I do like some Edith Piaf though as well. Anyways, in our "just off the beaten path 18' camper" , I installed 2 of these inside the camper: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Speakers/A-Series/TS-A1676R . I have these for inside and outside with quick connect banana plugs . I am having a Kenwood AM/FM/CD w/front aux & usb inputs installed on 9/14/17. Then we will be set for a while. It has the pre-outs for an amp & subwoofer as well. Not sure i will ever go that route but i like options. Original Camper stereo & speakers sounded worse than the children's electronics i saw & heard in Communist East Berlin, back in the early 80's.

I have camped next to "that guy". It is no fun at all, especially one that is steroided up & looking for a fight. I couldn't win with him. I told him that I love loud, clear music as well, but there is a time & place for everything & this is not the time or the place. He didn't care. What a loser he was. I have such a wide variety of music on my phone, I almost always get asked "where did you find all that great music" by someone while camping. I don't blast it at all, just loud enough that we can hear it outside. I never want to be "that guy." I would rather listen to silence than to crappy quality sounding music-even if it was a favorite.

When I was in the US Army, in Germany, in 1981-1984, us truck drivers would buy a thick/wide briefcase & install a Pioneer AM/FM/Cassette receiver & 2, 6x9 speakers in it & plug it into the 12v lighter plug. It was not "authorized" though. We would just turn the briefcase upside down if a supervisor/Sgt was coming, or turn it around if carrying it. And just don't turn it on until well away from the Motor Pool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke