Stock Vehicles in the Wild ???

swrider

Observer
Hey everyone,
This seems counter intuitive, seeing as how this forum is all about our vehicles and what mods we do, or want to do, to them.
But I am curious, who out there still takes their stock 4x4, or God forbid, 2x2, out on the trails?
I think it would be cool if we all chimed in with what vehicle we have, our experience level, where we've taken them, and what we plan to do.
It might be good for others out there to see that you don't have to own a built 4x4 to go out and explore.

I'll start it off:

2014 Chevy Silverado Z71. Somewhat of a newb, although i've gone on many dirt roads all over Souther Mexico and now starting to explore the outdoors in Las Vegas.

Cheers.

Cyph86

Hey everyone,
This seems counter intuitive, seeing as how this forum is all about our vehicles and what mods we do, or want to do, to them.
But I am curious, who out there still takes their stock 4x4, or God forbid, 2x2, out on the trails?
I think it would be cool if we all chimed in with what vehicle we have, our experience level, where we've taken them, and what we plan to do.
It might be good for others out there to see that you don't have to own a built 4x4 to go out and explore.

I'll start it off:

2014 Chevy Silverado Z71. Somewhat of a newb, although i've gone on many dirt roads all over Souther Mexico and now starting to explore the outdoors in Las Vegas.

Cheers.
Stock 4x4s are pretty damn capable. I took my stock 04 silverado duramax out on plenty of trails. A good line, knowing what your vehicles clearances and dont forget a wheeling buddy and recovery gear just in case.
a860210a46829a70976f88d13588fdfd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

INSAYN

Adventurer
Granted I don't cover the globe, or try to tackle the jungle, but I did just fine touring the SE Oregon desert for two weeks. Over 350 miles of it was heavy wash board gravel roads, rutted out trapper trails, and some steep switch backs going into the back country. Many many trips of playing in the snow, trekking in the sand dunes, touring the off road trails in Oregon coast range over the past 20 years with this truck.

All this in my completely stock '97 Tacoma Xtra-Cab 4x4 LE without lockers, or any fancy bumpers, winch, hi-lift, Max Traxx, snorkel or really big tires.
From the factory it came with 31x10.50 tires so I have stuck with that size.

No issues, nothing broke, never got stuck using common sense where I put my tires.

With that, a person driving a stock vehicle just needs to pay attention to the trails he plans to go on and understand any limitations the vehicle may have and drive accordingly.
You can have a great time off road, or just in the outback in your rig if you don't treat it like a fully decked out rig with all kinds of recovery gear and upgrades.

Air down and go have fun!

Ashton

My dodge 2500 LD 4x4 is pretty much stock. A RV battery to handle the stereo is about the only upgrade that has been done to her yet. I have plans, but being on a budget to get clear of life debt means that building a 'rig' is not a priority right now. I'm being told it is in the plans, though the woman friend wants me to get something more 'economical'. She's got 123k on her right now (the truck, not the woman) and needs a transmission (hanging on to 2nd, clunking into reverse, shift selection is off) and a steering and suspension overhaul (tie rods and ball joints, dampeners and bushings, shocks front and rear). Once the suspension is shored up, the brakes get attention along with a meaningful tune up (air filters, wires, new coil, spark plugs etc). Many plans, and I love this truck. I'm sure I'll end up moving on to something with better gas mileage (being a DD and all, filling up twice a week @ $80 a pop isn't in my budget yet).

I've taken the long bed up some shorter sections of questionable trail. I also, accidentally, took it down a OHV trail once and, purposefully, through a few mud pits and water crossings. I generally am only limited by my own fear as I'm often out there alone and don't feel like being stuck. Once I get the suspension and steering done, the transmission put in and the brakes upgraded, I can start looking for trails that are 'rated' and really test her out. So far, she does nothing but climb and move forward in 4Low.

The rig, resting under the mossy pines and redwoods of the North Eastern Sierra.
IMG_0990_zpsnmbmlled.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
I'll think you find the large majority of folks here are 'stock' or nearly so. And I'm including folks with stuff bolted on all over the outer surfaces of their vehicles.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
2 x 2 ? :confused: So 2 wheels x 2 wheel drive?
Would that be something like this:
trail-breaker-1.jpg

Not something very common and not street legal but I think there are people who run them.
To answer your question a little more seriously yes, there are lots of people who run stock or near-stock vehicles here. Just because you don't see them posting up their non-modifications doesn't mean they're not out there. I had been 4 wheeling for decades before I ever put a lift on a vehicle, in fact my current Suburban is only the 2nd lifted vehicle I've ever owned and the only real purpose for the lift was so I could put slightly larger tires on it.
I think most of us like to tinker with our vehicles a little bit to make them more useful to us but by no means are most of us running heavily modified vehicles.
As far as 2wd goes, there are quite a few people running 2wd rigs, too. I had a 2wd Ford Ranger from 1999 - 2003 and did a lot of off-road camping in it. I understood the limitations of the 2wd and stuck to mostly well developed Forest Service or BLM roads but I had a great time with it.

Last edited:

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
2 x 2 ? :confused: So 2 wheels x 2 wheel drive?
Would that be something like this:
trail-breaker-1.jpg

Not something very common and not street legal but I think there are people who run them.
To answer your question a little more seriously yes, there are lots of people who run stock or near-stock vehicles here. Just because you don't see them posting up their non-modifications doesn't mean they're not out there. I had been 4 wheeling for decades before I ever put a lift on a vehicle, in fact my current Suburban is only the 2nd lifted vehicle I've ever owned and the only real purpose for the lift was so I could put slightly larger tires on it.
I think most of us like to tinker with our vehicles a little bit to make them more useful to us but by no means are most of us running heavily modified vehicles.
As far as 2wd goes, there are quite a few people running 2wd rigs, too. I had a 2wd Ford Ranger from 1999 - 2003 and did a lot of off-road camping in it. I understood the limitations of the 2wd and stuck to mostly well developed Forest Service or BLM roads but I had a great time with it.

Also when people say 2x4 instead of 4x2.

swrider

Observer
hahaha, yeah i meant to say 2wd.
I mostly explore the dirt roads outside of Las Vegas, but even then not too much because so far its only myself and the wife, and I don't really need to get stuck out there and then having to figure out how to get out of it. I have thought about carrying a Hi Lift jack and some straps, but then out in the desert it gets pretty hard to tie off something to help yourself pull out. And it really sucks when you're a few miles into a road only to come to a point where it becomes too technical to continue, only to realize that you don't have the room to really turn around and end up going back in reverse until you find a good spot :/

p nut

butter
hahaha, yeah i meant to say 2wd.
I mostly explore the dirt roads outside of Las Vegas, but even then not too much because so far its only myself and the wife, and I don't really need to get stuck out there and then having to figure out how to get out of it. I have thought about carrying a Hi Lift jack and some straps, but then out in the desert it gets pretty hard to tie off something to help yourself pull out. And it really sucks when you're a few miles into a road only to come to a point where it becomes too technical to continue, only to realize that you don't have the room to really turn around and end up going back in reverse until you find a good spot :/

Even in modified rigs, you've got to always be careful. I am in the same boat as you, although since my kids are little, we don't get too much off the beaten path. Still, there are plenty of backcountry roads to be travelled. If I head deeper into the remote areas, I would carry some Maxtrax, maybe an exhaust jack or hilift (or both), winch and pull pal, satellite phone (all or mix/match). And of course, simply letting someone know where you're going and having emergency food/water/gas/supplies would be prudent.

Jelorian

Adventurer
Like Meili mentioned, you would be surprised how far you can get with 2wd and sensible driving. Just last weekend I didn't even put her into 4wd and we went up some moderately difficult trails. Taking your time and picking a good line sometimes benefits more than powering through with 4wd.

Clutch

<---Pass
always have the mindset of 2wd gets you there, 4wd gets you home.

4WD just gets stuck further away from help. ;)

----

To the OP.

Just look at ranch and Forest Service trucks...pretty much bone stock. I'll be on what I think is a gnarly rough road in the "back country", then run into a rancher in his bone stock F250 on street tires...and that is daily life for him.

onemanarmy

Explorer
Or watch the camel trophy vidoes....some mud terrain tires and a winch is really all you need.

Or look up the old around the world expeditions with stock VW bugs.

no need for all this stuff, but it is fun.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
When it comes to stock vs modified, it really does come down to how you use it. I would take my Bronco out on trails when it was still stock and give all the modified jeepers a run for their money. In fact, the only modifications I've really made performance wise would be a 2 inch lift and that was only to fit a slightly taller tire, and because there was this one rock shelf on the trails I would go to that I always slammed the rear bumper on when going down it. Not hard enough to damage it, but it was plenty jarring.

Before the Bronco, I drove a 91' F150 and never got stuck, even with street tires. And before that, I drove and 85' Ranger 4-banger 2wd and also never had a problem with it. It really does come down to how you drive it and knowing your limits.

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
My trucks are close to stock. Just a leveling kit, airbags and slightly more agressive 10 ply tires in stock size, and a few other add one on my 4x4.

IMG_20160423_144741711_zpsmpwmaxnw.jpg

IMG_4045_zpsgzs1zpqb.jpg

Lift spindles, rear blocks and some pizza cutters on my 2wd plus a few other little things

IMG_2407_zpsm1chwylb.jpg

IMG_2729_zps2jfeahdu.jpg

If I know I'm getting deep into the woods, I'll drive a good amount of the way then go by snowmobile or atv. But also love exploring by snowmobile or atv, lots of times putting over 100 miles a day in the backwoods, in places no truck would go no matter how well equipped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke