Earthroamer or other.

Vzfit

Observer
Family needs a new RV. I want the 2008 Earthroamer on their site or the one @tcope has for sale. The family is leaning towards a Dynamax Force HD Super C motor home or an Airstream 33 Classic. We have already deemed the Airstream 4x4 Interstate too small for a family of 3 and 2 dogs. Thoughts? What else should we consider and give me a reason I shouldn't make a command decision and get the ER.

And btw, my raptor/camper rig is for sale too.

Darwin

Explorer
Ram 5500 cab and chassis with 108 cab to axle, 12 foot flatbed, 12 foot camper built to your specs from xpeditioncamper from camperlogic.com ( has a build thread on here a few spaces down). Pirelli 335/80/20 ps22 tires. This in my mind is a much cheaper and better built set up than an earthroamer.

edit: also Ram much better chassis than 08 ford with the 6.4 motor.

Vzfit

Observer
Thanks, I wonder if he could sub in a new Ford instead of a Dodge? Also, what price point are we looking at with camperlogic ? I know the 6.4 isn't as bad as the 6.0....

EMrider

Explorer
As much as I love our SMB, the shortcomings of a heavy vehicle are quickly obvious when you hit the dirt.

If I were starting over and wanted a 3 person/2 dog rig optimzed for offroad, I'd get a JKU and a purpose built off road trailer with a good RTT.

If I wanted to cover larger distances and valued comfort, I'd get an standard RV and tow something behind for fun on the trails.

R

adam88

Explorer
My first question to you would be what are your goals? You mention an Earthroamer and an Airstream Interstate 4x4 in the same breath and they are totally opposite ends of the spectrum. The Airstream is a dually 4x4 that is intended for snowy roads and maybe some gravel. It's not intended to do any serious off-roading. The earthroamer on the other hand is fully loaded with winches and air lift systems, big tires, beadlocks, etc. Way different beast. If your family doesn't need to go off-road hardcore then I would look at something like a Tiger. If a pass-thru cab is not required, then you can save yourself hundreds of thousands of dollars by simply getting a crew cab pickup with an 8 foot bed, and putting a huge camper on it. If you want the pass-thru then you'll need to pay for it though (hundreds of thousands of dollars).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles