Southwest '17 F150 build. Going faster than your average rig.

p nut

butter
A comparable diesel engine (something like the 2.8l duramax) would likely get a few hundred miles of more range with a similar-sized tank. I really like where Ford is heading with their ecoboost series of engines (I wish other companies....ahem Toyota...would follow suit). But the fuel economy advantage, especially when towing, still lies with the diesel.

No doubt about that (RE: bigger tank and FE); however, that would add even more weight to the duramax that it doesn't need. I don't think they've even got room for a bigger tank under there?

malibubts

Adventurer
A comparable diesel engine (something like the 2.8l duramax) would likely get a few hundred miles of more range with a similar-sized tank. I really like where Ford is heading with their ecoboost series of engines (I wish other companies....ahem Toyota...would follow suit). But the fuel economy advantage, especially when towing, still lies with the diesel.

I can get 600+ miles easy on my 26 gallon tank, having a 36 gallon tank would put me right around the 1,000 mile mark out of a tank. Titan makes a 39 gallon tank that swaps in for my truck, but it's hard to justify dropping 1k on a fuel tank.

GreggNY

I can get 600+ miles easy on my 26 gallon tank, having a 36 gallon tank would put me right around the 1,000 mile mark out of a tank. Titan makes a 39 gallon tank that swaps in for my truck, but it's hard to justify dropping 1k on a fuel tank.

These diesels are definitely tempting. I can run my F150 2.7 getting a steady 23ish mpg highway if I keep my foot out of it, and have got close to 700 miles out of a tank mixed. I'm confident I could get a good amount more if it was all highway. But the diesels keep calling my name lol

Trophycummins

Adventurer
The range doesn't bother me. My truck is only getting about 400-450/ tank with the 36gallon tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D45

Explorer
Borh of your builds are awesome! How do you feel about the reliability of the ecoboost motors when you're far 'out there'? I traded out of a modded rubicon and now have a '17 F150 with the 2.7, and have been thinking of going to a 2500 ram cummins.

Sell your truck and get a Dodge, diesel.....if you need the diesel and can afford the maintenance

I miss my 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab (4WD, Long bed) a lot, best truck ever

These Fords are junk and get horrible fuel mileage, especially with the over rated 3.5L Ecoboost

Betarocker

Adventurer
The newer Rams with the 6.7L Cummins don't get nearly the same fuel economy of the older 5.9L. The manuals are considerably detuned now due to the fragile transmission. My boss had a 2003 5.9 w/ manual and now has a 2016 w/ manual. He doesn't like the new one, except the engine brake. Noticeably lower torque off the line due to the detuning of the power curve to keep the transmission alive. He's a Dodge guy through and through, but now considering a Ford after driving my truck.

D45

Explorer
2003 and 2004 were the BEST years for the common rail Cummins, even though these years have slightly less power, they had much better internals and design features

DT75FLH

Adventurer
I liked your ram build..and will be subscribing to this one

I also went with a 16 f150 xlt..3.5 and the 6 speed...with icon 2.5 up front and a set of rear, 2012 raptor, take off rear shocks...i had them lower the pressure to compensate for the lighter body when i had them rebuilt. (one had a bent shaft)

I love the truck, and I can bomb a lil bit, in the desert...Not at the level of your truck but fast enough for me. I rented a tear drop trailer in Utah for a weekend...and towing on washboard at 40 mph was nice and smooth.

I was running a 285/75/18 (34.8 tall) and still averaged 16 mpg on a 4k mile trip over the Colorado Rockies at 80 mph. so im happy. in fact climbing over 12k ft i was at 17.4 mpg in both directions.

im now running a 285/75/17 (33.8) on raptor take offs to get the 8.5 in wide rim, it looks more proportional now.

I have the sport pkg with the center console and shifter...I just installed a raptor steering wheel with the paddle shifters. the leather is nicer than the stock wheel and the paddle shifters are working, the factory plug on the clock spring just needs 3 wires added to it. I also swapped my steering wheel center so every thing works like stock.

Trophycummins

Adventurer
I liked your ram build..and will be subscribing to this one

I also went with a 16 f150 xlt..3.5 and the 6 speed...with icon 2.5 up front and a set of rear, 2012 raptor, take off rear shocks...i had them lower the pressure to compensate for the lighter body when i had them rebuilt. (one had a bent shaft)

I love the truck, and I can bomb a lil bit, in the desert...Not at the level of your truck but fast enough for me. I rented a tear drop trailer in Utah for a weekend...and towing on washboard at 40 mph was nice and smooth.

I was running a 285/75/18 (34.8 tall) and still averaged 16 mpg on a 4k mile trip over the Colorado Rockies at 80 mph. so im happy. in fact climbing over 12k ft i was at 17.4 mpg in both directions.

im now running a 285/75/17 (33.8) on raptor take offs to get the 8.5 in wide rim, it looks more proportional now.

I have the sport pkg with the center console and shifter...I just installed a raptor steering wheel with the paddle shifters. the leather is nicer than the stock wheel and the paddle shifters are working, the factory plug on the clock spring just needs 3 wires added to it. I also swapped my steering wheel center so every thing works like stock.

Got a how to on how to make the paddle shifters work?

I'd be really interested in doing that.

damon1272

Observer
Very nice build. Though I love the new Raptors they are over priced and then you have to throw on dealer markup. Nice to see more of a pre runner set up on this board. Kind of the same concept I am going with with my Bronco. Never the less cool build. Interested to see how well the new aluminum cabs hold up to prolonged off roading.

Trophycummins

Adventurer
Very nice build. Though I love the new Raptors they are over priced and then you have to throw on dealer markup. Nice to see more of a pre runner set up on this board. Kind of the same concept I am going with with my Bronco. Never the less cool build. Interested to see how well the new aluminum cabs hold up to prolonged off roading.

Got a build on your bronco? I've got a full size that's getting a pallet of solo Motorsports/desolate Motorsports parts thrown at it soon

DT75FLH

Adventurer
Here is a write up on F150 Fourm.
https://www.f150forum.com/f118/raptor-shift-paddles-non-raptor-write-up-377692/
BTW, really have enjoyed both of your builds on here.

That is the write up I used..

If you have the factory pins then it's super easy...the is a member selling a small 3 wire harness that uses the factory clock spring pin connector wires and even color matches the wires you need to connect to behind the glove box for 60.00 on the f150 forum....

Factory plug behind the clock spring that the steering wheel connector attaches to...it's pin number 9...10... and 11...run the 3 wires to main plug behind the glove box and tap into the up shift. Down shift. And ground....it took me longer to get the wires run behind the center console, than it did to install the steering wheel or splice the wires.

DT75FLH

Adventurer
And browse through the for scan thread there....you can turn a XLT into a lariat with out going to the dealer....

I. Did not get the FX4 pckg...but ended up putting all the factory skids plates on. Bought of ebay...and bought the 7.00 factory hill descent conto button and factory integral trailer brake and was able to turn them both on....

If you have the sync3 . I just added a nav module and now have factory navigation. ...using the android auto worked ok..but it was glitchy, kept locking up. And leaves the phone on so it would get hot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier