Towing with a 96 LS

bstone

Hi All-

Sorry if this has been asked before- did a search but didn't find anything. Question is, I'm looking to pick up a 96 LS, but I am wondering about towing capacity. I may be also picking up a pop up tent trailer, and curious if the 3.0 will handle it. I'd be pulling it in the CO mountains. Looking more for actual experiences towing rather than just specs. Trailer would be 3000 lbs or less, I'm thinking. Any thoughts?

Thanks-
Brady

Swank Force One

Adventurer
It's not going to be bulling up steep grades to 12k' in overdrive at 70mph if that's what you're asking. :)

But as long as you're ok with being patient, it'll be just fine. Make sure trans/brakes are in good order and roll.

bstone

It's not going to be bulling up steep grades to 12k' in overdrive at 70mph if that's what you're asking. :)

But as long as you're ok with being patient, it'll be just fine. Make sure trans/brakes are in good order and roll.

Oh, no- I realize that. Just wanted to make sure it would do it. I've read a few things here and there about the LS with the 3.0 being a bit underpowered in general, so if that's true, was concerned that adding the trailer might be too much.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Oh, no- I realize that. Just wanted to make sure it would do it. I've read a few things here and there about the LS with the 3.0 being a bit underpowered in general, so if that's true, was concerned that adding the trailer might be too much.

It is, but 3000lbs isn't a HUGE difference when you're talking about a big heavy truck that's underpowered in the first place. It'll work harder for sure, but there's nothing inherently bad about a motor working hard if it's in good shape to start with.

I'll be using my 98 to tow a car hauler and my Miata. I've just accepted that for the 1x a year i tow across the Continental Divide, it'll be pretty slow. :)

plh

Explorer
3000 lbs would be a lot for my '93 SR 3.0l to tow anything long distances. I've tow-bared my '88 Raider (3,200 lbs?) a few time with it for 50 mile trips, about as far as I'd want to go. I also tow a 5'x10' enclosed haulmark trailer with it, maybe around 2500 lbs, not too much fun either, I could not even fathom driving in the mountains with that kind of load . You WILL WANT trailer brakes.

I know there were some changed between my '93 3.0l (151 hp 174 ft-lbs) and a '96 3.0l (177 hp - 188 ft-lbs) - but not that much difference.

You would want a 3.5l at least.

Did I say TRAILER BRAKES?

Last edited:

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
I'd agree with the comment about being patient. I did a big trip out west a few years ago, 4 people & fully loaded including a rooftop carrier. I don't know how much we weighed (heavy!), but it got the job done even in the mountains. We weren't a rocket ship though that's for sure. My reference though for "doing it" is pretty good. I tried to pull the smallest u-haul trailer available across the country with a Saturn SL, manual trans. It did not "make it" through the Rockies. At altitude, climbing the long grades in Wyoming, the fastest I could go on the highway was in first gear and 25 mph. So I had to trailer it behind a big u-haul for the rest of the trip. It didn't kill the car, but the car just could not do it. With that as my reference, the Montero did it all with no problems.

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
Tire size, therefore, final drive ratio, will be important, too. 31" tires will be O.K., but going any bigger is going to slow you WAY down.
Mention was made of trailer brakes. Do this.

John B.

quailchaser

Observer
Towing capacity is 5000 lbs. Should be okay. Things to remember. Relatively short wheelbase SUVs (compared to trucks) tend to have a tail wagging the dog affect sometimes. Also, at least my 98 tends to get a hot tranny when towing, especially at lower speeds. I pulled some quads up winding dirt mountain roads and the light came on. Temps tended to cool when moving more with more air flow. I have brakes on my quad trailer just in case, but that is overkill. I use the brakes to keep the trailer from pushing me down steep muddy or snowy roads, but it still pays to slow down no matter what.

I've towed 5th wheels, snowmobiles, and atvs all over Colorado, you should be fine, just watch your temps. I think if you get an OBDII adapter and use the torque or torque pro app, you can monitor at least engine temp real time. Remember, when in doubt, slow and gear down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz