How far can you get with a 2WD and a shovel?

nicholastanguma

Los Angeles, San Francisco
I had VW Brasilia in Bolivia.
Same platform as VW beetle (the old one). Rear wheels, no diffs, independent suspension. Plenty of clearance, and fairly light, and good tires. I got to places where even 4x4 had trouble to get into (jungle, mountains etc). It would slide over mud, float over water, jump over rocks. I loved it. However it was a workhorse, no heating, no air, everything manual, no good seals. No electronic assistance for anything. Could be fixed with bit of wood and wire. Air cooled engine so no water issues. It was like driving kubelwagen, which actually had lots of common with it. Only problem I got, was that eventually all driving on bad roads started to show up in metal fatigue, started getting cracks here and there.
Got stuck in river beds now and then, but that was due to wrong air pressure, I did not know much about air pressure then. Here are some pics from Amazon jungle on my way to Noel Kempff National Park, getting stuck crossing dry river beds, fixing bend steering rod, and up in the Andes
View attachment 413408View attachment 413409View attachment 413410View attachment 413411View attachment 413412View attachment 413413View attachment 413414

This is absolutely fabulous. Thanks for sharing, mate! :clapping:

I've been doing the off-piste aircooled vee-dub thing for several years now, and aside from motorcycles, it is hands down a way more fun experience than driving 4x4 trucks.

WestBoundDave

Observer
David.L; nice 2wd, though bumpy, roads...(the sand would likely be fun)...

Personally; I have always viewed getting back safely, under my own power, as the more important...
Where cell service is nonexistent you either make it work or are dependent on the kindness of strangers...(better have good walking shoes).

Enjoy!

That is why I had the mountain bike on the roof. If all failed, I would peddle out, but fortunately I never needed to.

WestBoundDave

Observer
I've been doing the off-piste aircooled vee-dub thing for several years now, and aside from motorcycles, it is hands down a way more fun experience than driving 4x4 trucks.

It was great!! I still have the VW stashed in Bolivia, even though I might not go back, and it is undrivable now (it has not be driven for 10 years now), I just cannot part with it, it was part of me.

WestBoundDave

Observer
Lucky that you can lead that kind of lifestyle, I wish I could, but got married, got kids etc etc etc etc etc... So now I just keep dreaming and planning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles