Simple free standing hammock idea

trecash6850

Free standing hammock tripod 3/4" aluminum and 1-1/2" washer for tripod. Hammock attached to aluminum ridge pole which is supporting the weight.
e721038bacd750df3e2942316e078fb1.jpg
c069983dfa81e3ea42110bef575aa8e6.jpg
8b8d1f9958c25cc6a25aacb17f01738d.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

tlin

Adventurer
I like it - easy to also run a tarp over that ridge pole for any extra shade or rain.

JackW

Explorer
Great idea for the end of the hammock not attached to the roof rack of the truck. How long are the tripod tubes and ridgepole?
What wall thickness tubing are you using? Is the other washer welded to the ridgepole?
We are so copying this idea.... with a tripod I could have the hammock under the awning

Attachments

• hammock.jpg
    hammock.jpg
    416.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Takai13

How stable is that tripod? It looks like it would be fairly easy to bump one of those poles and be ceremonially be reacquainted with the ground.

trecash6850

Solid 3/4" aluminum rod was used for all 4 rods. The end attachments on the ridge pole for the hammock has a 1/8" hole drilled with a pin to stop the washer from sliding. The poles dig into the ground and are very solid once weighted. The only force on the tripod is straight down thanks to to ridge pole being in compression. No lateral force on the tripod at all. I've yet to flip it or fall. Love being able to set up my hammock on the beach.
a98090de3fa6aafa70beb1676d6358ff.jpg
fb57d438c83f81e4165fa7b69d64d3d6.jpg

krick3tt

Adventurer
I thought it was using EMT conduit but solid rod works well for this I see. Keeping the washer from sliding seems to be the real trick in stability. Use one or two tripods for interesting application. Goes anywhere. I often camp with no trees around.

DallasFJ

That's an awesome idea. I might have to use this idea when I go fishing to the coast. Are those about 6 foot poles and where did you source them if you don't mind me asking?

shifty98

Observer
Awesome idea! Great for the beach! Anyone tried this with making a triangle and hanging three hammocks off three tripods?

trecash6850

The tripod legs are 6' and the ridge pole is around 9'. All the measurements are dependent on the users size and how you want the hammock to hang. It's important to note that both ends of the hammock attach to the ridge pole to to keep the ridge in compression. If the washers on the ridge are sized appropriately they will cam into the aluminum and not slide but as noted I've drilled a 1/8" hole for a pin to secure them. I only weigh around 170lbs and I'm 5'10" so take the sizing and material recommendations into consideration and scale to your needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles