A/C: DIY Split System from a Window Unit?

MudderNutter

Adventurer
I was browsing around looking at various A/C solutions that people have come up with, and I stumbled on this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpxWxXg5jeg&t=3s

He took a normal window A/C unit, and removed the condenser. He got an additional fan to blow on the condenser (while leaving the stock fan in place on the unit). Then he mounted the new fan/condenser under his van, and ran new tubing back to the unit. He also said that he had to put a new fitting on one of the lines so that he could re-add refrigerant. It seems like this is a great, and very cheap solution... especially if he put some protection over the condenser. Claims that this setup has been running without any problems for 3 years.

What do you guys that know a bit about this subject think?!?

Pntyrmvr

Adventurer
Refrigerant line length is always an issue, this idea sounds like fun. Cheap parts sources anyway.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

MudderNutter

Adventurer
Yeah it seems like it could be a great solution if it can be made to be reliable. Those energy star units have a very low power draw. I was reading about people getting them to run with no problems on a 1000 watt Honda generator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles