who is using a real gps vs a tablet

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
With the TRX system, you have the choice of using the government supplied data, the basemap, user generated tracks (so you can see what others experienced), or imported GPX files. You're right, the BLM hasn't supplied us with trail data yet for Chinaman Gulch. But it's in the basemap, so I was able to create a route on it in a few minutes on the TRX Trailhead site. Here's a link to it: http://bit.ly/2u1vKcx

Anyone with a TRX account profile can save that route for future reference, and TRX7 users can use it to get turn by turn street directions to the trail, as well as follow the trail.

View attachment 410180

And here's the Hema Cloud link that anyone can use & sync to their app on Android or iOS =)

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
With the TRX system, you have the choice of using the government supplied data, the basemap, user generated tracks (so you can see what others experienced), or imported GPX files. You're right, the BLM hasn't supplied us with trail data yet for Chinaman Gulch. But it's in the basemap, so I was able to create a route on it in a few minutes on the TRX Trailhead site. Here's a link to it: http://bit.ly/2u1vKcx

Anyone with a TRX account profile can save that route for future reference, and TRX7 users can use it to get turn by turn street directions to the trail, as well as follow the trail.

View attachment 410180

FYI, tried your android based app and it crashed multiple times, failed to run most of the time and when I did get it to run it ate way too much battery life. Tried on three devices (galaxy tab a 10.1, galaxy tab a 7", samsung galaxy note 5) with the same results. Tried using the internal gps system on those devices as well as a dual electronics XGPS150.

We've concluded that we're not able to locate a tablet/phablet & prepaid or pay as you go plan. because of this and because of our last trying this past weekend.. we've figured out our best approach.. Just purchase a large tablet or a better travel map and use the hotel's wifi to map our route the night before we leave again. So after we have the new coils/shocks installed, we'll be looking into a 10'' or more tablet and use the smart phone on the fly until we reach the hotel. Hell we might even break down before getting the coils/shocks and purchase the tablet anyway.

I am not sure why you are having so much trouble. Here is what I did.I bought a Lenovo 10 inch tablet. 150ish. A 128 gb sd card $ 50 You could go smaller for 1/2 the price and us topo maps pro for $12 Next I used my wifi set up at the hotel in flagstaff where I was to download the program. Then when I go home I experimented with using the the program and download the different maps You simply draw a big square or rectangle with you finger on the tablet and click the down load button then doit again for the next area you want. I know you are on tight budget but check the sout it might be your answer to everything Insane Audio Jeep radio jk2001. it has built in topo preloaded for the entire country and can add anything you want as long as it is android.

@Jeep or Tacoma we're devoting our time and effort into just traveling and using what we have cheaply as possible.. Plus we're saving to have the jeep upgraded along the way. Next upgrade will take place in a few months. So it's not a big deal and I've seen your topic and could be an option for us. Just not at the moment, Wife is using the small 4.5'' Android screen but sure she wishes it was a 10'' screen. Actually last time out, see did look at tablets, but ended up getting a new small more detailed road atlas.

lugueto

Adventurer
Dedicated device all the way.

I personally have a Garmin Gpsmap 62S. Its served me well over 7 years and over 100.000km of trips

Sure, it has a tiny screen compared to a tablet, phone, or even a Montana or new Gpsmap 276c. But its rugged, the receiver is incredibly reliably and I can use it for other activities.

I might drool over a new, larger model. But I can't bring myself to spend anything on a GPS device. This thing has everything I need and nothing I don't.

dlh62c

Explorer
^ A Garmin GPSmap 62s has served me well, even in Mexico.

Garmin's BaseCamp program does a fine job of planning out routes.

Tswhit15

I currently have been trialing Gaia on my Iphone and may eventually port over to a tablet of some sort with Gaia on it. As my go to I'm using a windows 10 2-1 laptop which folds into a touchscreen tablet (only 12 inches) loaded with a variety of things but mostly windows mapspro which believe it or not has served me very well so far. I pair this with a usb globalsat GPS puck.

Better Late than Never Update:

Welp over the weekend we took the plunge and purchased the Samsung Tab A 8.0 as our very first travel tablet. Selecting a totally random Walmart on our way to the outer banks, we purchased the last Tab A they had in stock and in doing so, seem they gave us a discount. Sure might seem outdated and we're having a hard time finding a few accessories, the tablet in general worked very well.

The WiFi tablet was able to maintain a steady connection in most places except while crossing a few long bridges. i would suspect that in this case, one should download the offline maps. But it wasn't necessary at the time. We're looking into a way to mount the tablet on or in the dash for hands free use. As a quick way to mount the tablet, we purchased a portfolio case/cover which opens like a binder/notebook. folding the one flap over, we placed the notebook cover down through the dash's forward grab handle. Pow.. worked like a charm.

Next on tap is a silicone/hard shell hybrid cover arriving in a few days via Amazon.. then next week a 64GB Sandisk micro SD card will be arriving. In total, we have 2 smart phones, (pay as you go) one pocket camera and now the tablet.. This list could grow in the next few months with the addition of the Hero4 or Hero5 GoPro camera & the Karma hover cam handle.

Yotadude

This has me thinking of the iPad mini now. Has anyone had a problem with the glare on the screen in bright daylight? if so did you find screen cover or something to reduce it?

@Yotadude

It's been our impression that adjusting the settings as to allow for brightness or darken the screen can help. The tablet even on a sunny day (while it lasted over the weekend) worked very well self adjusting to the current conditions unlike the LG smart phone we have. Often the wife and I could not see the screen in varying light and there wasn't any adjustment on the smart phone for this. It has been said that the iPad etc does have one of the best screens for viewing in almost to near direct sunlight, but we've not seen or tested this. So your question would need to be explored a bit more by those whom already have the iPad set up.

Yotadude

Thank you for your opinion on this. I will start looking for well reviewed blue tooth or other gps devices to attach to the iPad. If there are good gps units then I think my decision is made. I will dig a bit more regarding people here on the forums for any additional screen quality input.
Thank you again,

Cheers,

The market is very poor for stand alone GPS.

I have just been perusing the gps selections and i am sdaly dissapointed at how few decent gps units are out there. Take garmin for starters. looking at their auto section they have mostly street stuff and I could not tell form their website wether you can upload topo maps maps on to their unit and if the topo maps are the garmin ones. Thes maps seem to me to be very poorly drawn with many angular lines instead the smooth flowing likes like on a typical usgs paper map. per hap i am wrong if so please point me to it. The handhelds are all so small I think it owuld be a PIA to try and naviagate with such a small screen.

Then there is Magellan the explorist. It looks pretty nice but the reviews say" it just an adroid device with free maps loaded on " I don't about the veractiy of that or not but idoens't bode well for that product.

Lowrance is stillmaking GPS units but they are called chart plotters and there still several sizes available but hey are pricey rugged and i suppose you get what you pay for type of thing.

I don't knowanything about TOM TOM and form what I hear if you are using a tablet they can get hot and shut down.

VERY DISSAPOINTING!
So Garmin or Magellan or Lowrance step up to the plate buld

martnH

I have just been perusing the gps selections and i am sdaly dissapointed at how few decent gps units are out there. Take garmin for starters. looking at their auto section they have mostly street stuff and I could not tell form their website wether you can upload topo maps maps on to their unit and if the topo maps are the garmin ones. Thes maps seem to me to be very poorly drawn with many angular lines instead the smooth flowing likes like on a typical usgs paper map. per hap i am wrong if so please point me to it. The handhelds are all so small I think it owuld be a PIA to try and naviagate with such a small screen.

Then there is Magellan the explorist. It looks pretty nice but the reviews say" it just an adroid device with free maps loaded on " I don't about the veractiy of that or not but idoens't bode well for that product.

Lowrance is stillmaking GPS units but they are called chart plotters and there still several sizes available but hey are pricey rugged and i suppose you get what you pay for type of thing.

I don't knowanything about TOM TOM and form what I hear if you are using a tablet they can get hot and shut down.

VERY DISSAPOINTING!
So Garmin or Magellan or Lowrance step up to the plate buld
You can upload Garmin topo on the street GPS. But the details will be different
Better to buy a Garmin hiking gps for automotive use
Like oregon 750

I don't think the sharp angle lines are a problem

In fact it won't affects you navigation ability. The gps doesn't have to be very accurate to the meters at all

When travelling I always carry a electronic gps and paper map

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles