Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: who is using a real gps vs a tablet

Quote Originally Posted by TrailBadger View Post
    Better Late than Never Update:

Welp over the weekend we took the plunge and purchased the Samsung Tab A 8.0 as our very first travel tablet...

Look at Panavise in conjunction with RAM mounts. Solid setup.
    1995 Toyota T100 DX "Black Betty" (Currently with me abroad)
    -3.4L 5VZ-FE
    -4x4
    -Regular Cab/Long Bed
    -General Grabber All Terrains
    -2 Spares, Skids, Lights, Snorkel, Nav, Comms, etc...

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    -Firestone Destination All Terrains

Instagram

This has me thinking of the iPad mini now. Has anyone had a problem with the glare on the screen in bright daylight? if so did you find screen cover or something to reduce it?

@Yotadude

It's been our impression that adjusting the settings as to allow for brightness or darken the screen can help. The tablet even on a sunny day (while it lasted over the weekend) worked very well self adjusting to the current conditions unlike the LG smart phone we have. Often the wife and I could not see the screen in varying light and there wasn't any adjustment on the smart phone for this. It has been said that the iPad etc does have one of the best screens for viewing in almost to near direct sunlight, but we've not seen or tested this. So your question would need to be explored a bit more by those whom already have the iPad set up.

Thank you for your opinion on this. I will start looking for well reviewed blue tooth or other gps devices to attach to the iPad. If there are good gps units then I think my decision is made. I will dig a bit more regarding people here on the forums for any additional screen quality input.
    Thank you again,

Cheers,

Default The market is very poor for stand alone GPS.

I have just been perusing the gps selections and i am sdaly dissapointed at how few decent gps units are out there. Take garmin for starters. looking at their auto section they have mostly street stuff and I could not tell form their website wether you can upload topo maps maps on to their unit and if the topo maps are the garmin ones. Thes maps seem to me to be very poorly drawn with many angular lines instead the smooth flowing likes like on a typical usgs paper map. per hap i am wrong if so please point me to it. The handhelds are all so small I think it owuld be a PIA to try and naviagate with such a small screen.

Then there is Magellan the explorist. It looks pretty nice but the reviews say" it just an adroid device with free maps loaded on " I don't about the veractiy of that or not but idoens't bode well for that product.

Lowrance is stillmaking GPS units but they are called chart plotters and there still several sizes available but hey are pricey rugged and i suppose you get what you pay for type of thing.

I don't knowanything about TOM TOM and form what I hear if you are using a tablet they can get hot and shut down.

VERY DISSAPOINTING!
    So Garmin or Magellan or Lowrance step up to the plate buld

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep or Tacoma View Post
    I have just been perusing the gps selections and i am sdaly dissapointed at how few decent gps units are out there. Take garmin for starters. looking at their auto section they have mostly street stuff and I could not tell form their website wether you can upload topo maps maps on to their unit and if the topo maps are the garmin ones. Thes maps seem to me to be very poorly drawn with many angular lines instead the smooth flowing likes like on a typical usgs paper map. per hap i am wrong if so please point me to it. The handhelds are all so small I think it owuld be a PIA to try and naviagate with such a small screen.

Then there is Magellan the explorist. It looks pretty nice but the reviews say" it just an adroid device with free maps loaded on " I don't about the veractiy of that or not but idoens't bode well for that product.

Lowrance is stillmaking GPS units but they are called chart plotters and there still several sizes available but hey are pricey rugged and i suppose you get what you pay for type of thing.

I don't knowanything about TOM TOM and form what I hear if you are using a tablet they can get hot and shut down.

VERY DISSAPOINTING!
    So Garmin or Magellan or Lowrance step up to the plate buld
    You can upload Garmin topo on the street GPS. But the details will be different
    Better to buy a Garmin hiking gps for automotive use
    Like oregon 750

I don't think the sharp angle lines are a problem

In fact it won't affects you navigation ability. The gps doesn't have to be very accurate to the meters at all

When travelling I always carry a electronic gps and paper map

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Garmin oregon is touch screen. So does Garmin Montana

Try the Garmin topo map. It is very good in my area. All the relics sites, hiking trails, biking trails, fire trails everything's are there.

Often I find it much better than some off-road navigators like hema etc..

Our reasoning on using Google Maps over the typical GPS/Topo setup is that we really don't need to know the topo and we're drawn towards how the Gmaps is setup. In other words we're not thrilled about how most of the Garmin's or even the Rand Mcnally are set up.. these on screen maps with the topo's are very confusing. Just give us the 2D (looking down) view and nothing more.

I did a bit more exploring on the Samsung Tab A 8.0 today and down loaded my first map. But it's odd having Google say that if the map isn't updated it will expire.. so not sure what that mean. Plus How does one know what maps one needs until one actually needs them & by then it's too late cause you've lost your wifi connection..

Also as a follow up to the brightness adjustment, The Samsung does have a brightness adjustment & an auto brighter setup or system. Which when enabled.. the brightness is turned up or down based on the current light around you. Dare I say it, it's very annoying when the screen fades claiming that with the brightness turned up, can cause eye strain.. I'm sure there is some truth to that, but we would rather have the brightness up as much as possible (but staying out of the red zone)

What we really need is a gps/mapping system like Google maps, that can be installed. I know that Garmin and others have SD maps cards or have seen them. Let's suppose that we wanted to explore NC, then we would plug in a SD reader or chip with all the mapping done for us. But used like google maps which we'e grown accustomed to.

If you don't need the topo info or even find them confusing, then we are not talking about the same thing here......

You can use whatever, or just read the street sighs, right?

@martnH

You're right, My bad. There is a difference between a real GPS system and a Tablet that use a mapping system. So my bad. Plus in our case there's always the good ole paper map.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345