who is using a real gps vs a tablet

dstock

Explorer
I found the typical 4 or 5 inch screen gps units to be too small to work for me off road. If I had a question about whether to go up this wash, or that wash I couldn't make the screen show me enough to make a proper decision. The tablet I'm using is already too old to upgrade the firmware, but it displays topo maps just fine, and it was under $150 when I bought it. Its got a 9 inch screen, so I can see enough detail and far enough ahead to make a decision. I've turned off auto updates, so until I decide I can't take it anymore this is what I have ( FWIW, this tablet is now old enough that I have a newer iPAD for my regular use, this one is essentially a dedicated GPS now)

I originally tried out tablets for the screen size as well. The 10 inch was a bit to big in the Jeep interior but the 7 inch seems to be the sweet spot.

Turning off auto-updates is a good idea, I don't use the tablet for anything else at this point.

Thanks for the info!

big44g

I can say I use all of the above. Being a Geologist I love maps. I have most of the western states in Delorme paper maps and I also use AAA and free state maps. However my setup includes the Gaia, Earthmate and Google map apps loaded on my iPhone and iPad. The apps have some little thing that I like on each one. I also have a Garmin Oregon 600 and a Garmin Nuvi. I use Garmin Basecamp on my Mac to keep all my track research and trip planning under control. I use my Garmin Oregon to record my entire trip. I also use the Oregon or Nuvi to navigate the black top. I like the Garmin routing software, it just seems to work better most of the time. Once off the black top I use my apps and/or Oregon to follow a Track and do not route. I love to use my iPad due to the screen size. Once I get out of the 4Runner, In use my Oregon and iPhone to follow my hiking tracks. I also load my Oregon up with point of interest “POI’s” like: Walmart’s, campsites etc so when in need I can find it. There is no one perfect solution, so I have what works for me that I have learned over the years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I know the OP, already purchased, however I will also share my experience,

I have used a multitude of various GPS systems, stand alone devices, and tablet programs. For work we issue garmin nuvi( whatever walmart has on sale at the time) have about 33 of them we use. We have a in house mapper who hand builds routes to our remote sites, and our crews use those. Some of us have company required Ipads, and use whatever mapping software Apple uses to get to a " hard" destination.( like the closest town, or named road) then the in house program/ app/ or google earth to figure it out from there. we have used HP handhelds, and tried tremble, Nomads and recons.

Currently for personal use I have a verizon zenpad 8( Android operating system, w/ removable memory which was a big deal for me personally, and is also connected) I have backcountry navigator installed on like it, I have the most recent USFS maps of Oregon, Washington, Idaho, California, Wyoming, Alaska and Baja Mexico saved to the SD card. Allows me to create, add, or input routes, gps tracks from others. So I can use it w/o cell or data service. It will not do turn by turn, but I can follow the line, trail, or road. It has a massive list of options for source maps, and waypoints trails that can be imported. The app was a one time purchase of I think $12 for the Pro version, but has a free one. I have switched it to my new tablet when I upgrade once so far.

If I want turn by turn, I use google maps on the same tablet, will do turn by turn and find things during the drive/search function. For example driving to a destination and am somewhere, I can say " ok google find me the closest fuel" it will find it, usually with prices and I can add a stop for it to route me to, same with hotels, etc. It integrates with my saved places, and lists on google maps of places around the world id like to visit, make trips extremely easy to plan.

Something to note, I do have an unlimited data plan.
There is no perfect system for any one person, or thing. My biggest advice, research, and than get to know your prefered program.

happy Trails

MCX

TalesFromTheDesert.com
My setup...

I have an old iPhone 6s+ that I had laying around. So, I deleted all apps, music, photos, etc. and use it with Gaia GPS and also download Google Maps for offline use. It's the 128GB model and the larger screen, so it's a perfect size and setup for my use.

YMMV

ohiobenz

Lots of good input in this thread....
I'm sourcing a system for my LMTV, currently considering an iPad as the "base" because I also need a display for the Recoda 4 camera DVR system.
A friend recommended a Garmin 18x USB navigator unit.
I also plan to have an external SSD drive for downloaded maps and music.

After several trips where my Samsung S8+ lost connection I'm not willing to depend on my Sprint data again. Last week my SIM card died and nothing worked, so I need something independent.

Hiking outside of Phoenix a year used Gaia tracking, which worked well, but the phone battery life didnt.
Since the LMTV will have solar backup I'm not worried about power use.

Comments and suggestions?? Cab space in an LMTV is enormous and my eyes like big screens :)
I've read so many software/map/track suggestions that its hard to decide what works best for me.

malibubts

Adventurer
Lots of good input in this thread....
I'm sourcing a system for my LMTV, currently considering an iPad as the "base" because I also need a display for the Recoda 4 camera DVR system.
A friend recommended a Garmin 18x USB navigator unit.
I also plan to have an external SSD drive for downloaded maps and music.

After several trips where my Samsung S8+ lost connection I'm not willing to depend on my Sprint data again. Last week my SIM card died and nothing worked, so I need something independent.

Hiking outside of Phoenix a year used Gaia tracking, which worked well, but the phone battery life didnt.
Since the LMTV will have solar backup I'm not worried about power use.

Comments and suggestions?? Cab space in an LMTV is enormous and my eyes like big screens :)
I've read so many software/map/track suggestions that its hard to decide what works best for me.

I'd grab a 10" Android Tablet, a MicroSD Card (128GB, 256GB, etc), a rugged case and call it a day. That skips the need for an extra SSD to lug around and worry about. All WiFi based and you can use Gaia to cache your maps on the SD card. You can cover your music needs as well.

This is pretty much what I run except an 8" Tablet (Samsung Tab S2). I also use Gaia on my phone and have another copy of all the maps cached there as well.

malibubts

Adventurer
No external GPS antenna??
Kind of like the rugged case aspect, whatever works for you. Personally I have had no issues with the built in GPS in any of the Android devices I've used. I can't say that I've ever had a fail to lock and usually get +-15 feet, which is plenty for me. I'll add I also don't have the devices up attached to the windshield, they are further back into my truck cab on mounts.

I also have an app called GPS Status that I've found is very useful. It's pretty close to raw output from the GPS so you can get a good idea of how things are looking on that front. You can also have it pin info in your status area when an app requests GPS. I use this and it's pretty handy with quick stats like accuracy.

All that said, I do know Dual makes a variety of add on Bluetooth connected GPS antennas. When I first starting using my phone/tablet I considered getting one, but have had really no reason to at this point.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

ohiobenz

Ok, so my search continues for a multi-purpose tablet which can be mounted in my truck and do the following things: 1) built in GPS or sufficient ports to accept an external antenna plus 2) a non-wifi video in (possibly VGA) capability from my DVR which is tied to multiple cameras. I am not planning to record on the tablet, just monitor.
3) Keyboard needs to be loose and bluetooth for the navigator to have on their lap, or stowed. 4) Bluetooth mouse a plus. 5) Docking station ability also a plus if it provides additional UDB ports. 6) SD card slot(s) a must for maps etc.
So far I find that iPads have no video in capability and Samsungs don't have internal GPS or non-wifi video in.

MOguy

Explorer
I like my old school GPS and compass because they are more durable and can take a beating more so then a tablet but Technology is cool, it works and it makes life simple so I got a tablet but it was too big. Now I use a smart phone I got on a black Friday sale. It is GPS combatable (reads satellites) without a cell signal. I have no cell plan for it, I down load what I need at home from my Wifi and then hit the road. I paid 20 or 30 bucks for it, I don't do any banking or anything else requiring perosnal information on it. If it gets damaged, lost or stolen no big deal compared to losing or damaging my phone or my tablet.

I leave the tablet at home and my actual cell phone stashed were it can be better protected.

Tswhit15

I'm using a tablet with Gaia and have been very happy so far with it. I also use a touch screen laptop with a usb globalsat GPS puck (is that what you mean by real gps?) which is what I had prior to the tablet but I also still carry for backup. And of course paper maps and a compass because that will never let you down.

dmwhiteman

Observer
We've been using a galaxy tab a with various apps and it has been working pretty well. Gaia is a must for tracking trails, but there are several free apps that do turn by turn pretty well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ohiobenz

I use a GlobalSat 353s4 USB puck in my Surface Tablet. It works fine.
Still looking for dual purpose software that will run on Win10 - turn-by-turn + GPX tracks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles