Touchscreen/double din aftermarket stereos for 97 Montero SR?

go kat go

Recently bought a 1997 Montero SR and am in the process of doing a little updating. (On a side note, I have discovered it is wretchedly hard to eliminate the hits for Montero Sport editions when doing a search for parts on google-and before I get yelled at, but I HAVE tried to do my due diligence in searching the forums for this info before starting a new thread, but have come up short.)

So...could someone please tell me which, if any, double din units fit the Gen II.5's? Emphasis on sound quality such as a built-in equalizer vs extra superfluous features such as displaying contact lists. In the past I have had head units from Pioneer; Blaupunkt; and Alpine - much preferred the sound quality of the later two.

I also would very much like to have a unit that has the ability to display live engine performance data. The amount of 'live' OBDii data available for display on 'modern' cars is amazing, however I know the data available for older OBDii cars is limited. Does anyone know what info exactly it is even possible to display for this model year? (Sadly I cannot use Torque; need either an independent software, or, if is run/read through mobile phone, must be Apple vs Android compatible).

Any and all suggestions, as well as any links to installation write-ups/stickies for the 2.5 gens will be very much appreciated.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
The Gen2.5 uses standard DIN sized openings and has two. So realistically, any double din should fit.

As far as "install kits" that might be harder to find. Try using the search term "Montero -sport" when searching. Alternatively it doesnt' look like it would be that bad to just cut the center bar out of the existing oem bezel.

And let us know how it all works out. I'd like an Android Auto double din in my Gen2.5, but in my eyes, the placement of the radio in these trucks would make that pretty much worthless.

go kat go

Crutchfield is your friend

Crutchfield is your friend

Well...Crutchfield is your friend as long as you drive every model year EXCEPT the 97 monty non-sport... :-(
Crutchfield appears to differentiate the sport vs 4x4 sport utility by adding the word sport twice. i.e., "1997 Mitsubishi Montero Sport Sport Utility" or "1998 Mitsubishi Montero Sport Utility". There isn't a choice of 'sport' or 'sport sport' for 1997. Thus far, 1997 has shown itself to be an extremely frustrating model year; betwixt and between most everything.

That being said, is the 97 interior config more simiiiar to the 1996 or 1998 models?

go kat go

" ...Try using the search term "Montero -sport" when searching..."

Yeah I am a bit of a google search master when it comes to drilling down: +, -, |, AND, OR, NOT etc. Problem being it then eliminates the sites that classify it with "sport utility" vehicle

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Stereo console-wise, i haven't seen any difference between any year Gen2 i've come across. Fitment-wise, whatever fits in any will fit in all.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Thank you :)
How about what kind of "live feed" engine diagnostic OBDii info can be displayed?

That i'm not sure about. I've dabbled with Torque Lite, but it was mostly just to clear the engine code for my slowly failing cat. Off the top of my head, it'll do RPM, CLT, IAT, MPH, Ignition Timing. I think that's all i really looked at.

cr4x4cruiser

Observer
Regarding Crutchfield...

When in doubt, call them direct.

If you are having trouble locating units that apply, call them direct...

They are very willing to "mine" their research over the years - and can come up with a solution, I'm sure.

The one company that can likely solve your conundrum with solid answers/ options.

Good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior