If Ford brings back the Ranger, will they make a Raptorized version?

p nut

butter
BMW still provides a manual option for most of their M cars, excluding the M crossovers like the X5M. Their regular commuter cars have gradually been weened off the manuals, but the real driver's cars (M2, M3/M4, 1M, even the M5 I believe) still have manuals. Same for Porsche I believe.

I'm sure the purist will throw a tantrum if the M or P-cars got rid of the manual. Although the dual-clutch cars I've driven, including a friend's Scaglietti, were all excellent. Some gaff at them saying real race cars have 3 pedals, but I wonder if they've seen the cockpits of any F1 cars.

Clutch

<---Pass
If you want a manual, better get that Tacoma sooner than later. I can't imagine Toyota lasting too much longer, either.

Yeah its' days are numbered. Only 2 options left if you want an ACLB. Neither one I am too too crazy about how they spec them. Kinda silly spending all that money if I can't get exactly what I want. My 1st gen has everything I want and nothing I don't need. Just don't like anything on the market no matter the brand. Only see the choices getting worse.

Last edited:

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Yoga pants are the new sweatpants...but ...yan...know...."yoga pants" has a totally different meaning at Whole Foods than it does at Walmart.... :D

Well yeah but yoga pants are sexy as F. Its becoming an OK thing to wear yoga pants to work with a nice blouse on a casual friday. I won't complain about that at all.

On the BMW Topic, I'd love to see a super luxury super off road SUV come around. Similar to the Mercedes 6x6 thing but something more affordable and practical.

I'd rock a BMW Raptor type X5 vehicle with lockers.

I like where this thread is going. Yoga pants and offroad BMW's.

Dougnuts

Apparently those of us who are ready for the new Ranger all have similar tastes. I'd like to join the club.

I agree that a mini-Raptor isn't necessary, just make a tough truck that's 80% the size of an F-150 that can get mid to high 20s mpg with a turbo-4. Kind of like a Ridgeline with just a touch more truck DNA (body on frame and solid axle acceptable).

p nut

butter
Apparently those of us who are ready for the new Ranger all have similar tastes. I'd like to join the club.

I agree that a mini-Raptor isn't necessary, just make a tough truck that's 80% the size of an F-150 that can get mid to high 20s mpg with a turbo-4. Kind of like a Ridgeline with just a touch more truck DNA (body on frame and solid axle acceptable).

They may have to downsize the engine to get those kind of numbers, but hopefully they'll offer something like that. I'm sure it'll still have plenty of power.

XJLI

Adventurer
I'm thinking three motors... The 3.0 V6 diesel, 2.7L ecoboost, and maybe the 3.5 non-turbo V6. I really really really hope it gets the aussie 3.2 diesel but I doubt it since they're already putting the JLR Ingenium 3.0 V6 diesel in the F150.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Well yeah but yoga pants are sexy as F. Its becoming an OK thing to wear yoga pants to work with a nice blouse on a casual friday. I won't complain about that at all.

On the BMW Topic, I'd love to see a super luxury super off road SUV come around. Similar to the Mercedes 6x6 thing but something more affordable and practical.

I'd rock a BMW Raptor type X5 vehicle with lockers.

I like where this thread is going. Yoga pants and offroad BMW's.

It's not sexy when yoga pants are filled with 200 pounds of cottage cheese.

Dalko43

Explorer
I'm thinking three motors... The 3.0 V6 diesel, 2.7L ecoboost, and maybe the 3.5 non-turbo V6. I really really really hope it gets the aussie 3.2 diesel but I doubt it since they're already putting the JLR Ingenium 3.0 V6 diesel in the F150.

I've seen articles throwing around the idea that if they use a diesel in the new Ranger, it will likely be a derivative of the inline 5 currently used in the global Ranger platform. I think the 3.0l V6 (shared with some Range Rover platforms) is destined for the F-150.

p nut

butter

The new 3.3L N/A V6 for the '18 F150 is supposed to make more hp/tq than the 3.5L. 290hp/265tq. And supposed to get better MPG. Might be a winner in a Ranger platform.
-
And the 2.7L now making 400ft/lb @ 2,750rpm (from 375ft/lb @ 3,000)---that's nearing diesel numbers.

Last edited:

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
And the 2.7L now making 400ft/lb @ 2,750rpm (from 375ft/lb @ 3,000)---that's nearing diesel numbers.

I remember the SVO mustang, the GMC syclone, the original eagle talon and all the different rice rockets that take small displacement engines with too much turbo and go racing on the weekends then spend all week wrenching to fix what the boost does to a small engine, can't say I'll believe in the ecoboost design until they start showing diesel numbers in longevity too!! I'm sure there are a few out there with high miles BUT.. were they driven hard? time will tell, until then give me the V8's or the diesel V6!

p nut

butter
I remember the SVO mustang, the GMC syclone, the original eagle talon and all the different rice rockets that take small displacement engines with too much turbo and go racing on the weekends then spend all week wrenching to fix what the boost does to a small engine, can't say I'll believe in the ecoboost design until they start showing diesel numbers in longevity too!! I'm sure there are a few out there with high miles BUT.. were they driven hard? time will tell, until then give me the V8's or the diesel V6!

Most of the engine failures were from people "tuning" the engine way outside of capacity. They'd just turn up the boost without properly strengthening the internals, fuel mgmt, etc. Lots of dumb people for sure.
-
That's not a good comparison. Not only because of the poorly planned modifications, but there just weren't that many OEM FI cars. Mitsu/Eagle and the Supra are the only ones I can recall. I guess VW as well. Kept stock, I think they all did very well.
-
I can't speak for the Ecoboost, though. Mine is still around 20k miles. Friends/family have them with more miles, but nothing approaching 200k. However, I'm not worried. If the turbo's go, I will gladly repair and keep on going. The pull up high elevation mountain passes is astounding, even compared to my old V8's. Maybe only rivaled by TURBO Diesels.
-
For what it's worth:

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Most of the engine failures were from people "tuning" the engine way outside of capacity. They'd just turn up the boost without properly strengthening the internals, fuel mgmt, etc. Lots of dumb people for sure.

Actually, all the ones I mentioned were FI, but you are right most of them were tuned wrong!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles