If Ford brings back the Ranger, will they make a Raptorized version?

p nut

butter
Actually, all the ones I mentioned were FI, but you are right most of them were tuned wrong!

I know a lot of those aftermarket companies like Garrett and APR made a killing promising big HP for not a lot of money, but bet they didn't consider the cost of an engine rebuild! A friend of mine cracked his block on his 300zx doing that exact same thing.
-
I guess I find some comfort in that the 2.7L Ecoboost (and now the 3.5L) block is CGI--same as diesels, which hopefully translates into the turbo diesel like longevity. And I am certainly staying far away from any sort of engine mods.

ScottReb

Adventurer
The real question for me is payload. Will it match the ROW Ranger which has payloads greater than most half tons.

Dalko43

Explorer
The real question for me is payload. Will it match the ROW Ranger which has payloads greater than most half tons.

The Aussie version can have a payload rating up to 1095kg's (~2400lb's). Hopefully Ford uses the same frame as the one used on the global version; if the North American version can at least handle 1,800lb's of payload, I'd be happy. The Ranger over there has gotten a lot of good reviews and the optional 3.2 Inline 5 diesel seems to be well-regarded for its power and reliability.

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
The Aussie version can have a payload rating up to 1095kg's (~2400lb's). Hopefully Ford uses the same frame as the one used on the global version; if the North American version can at least handle 1,800lb's of payload, I'd be happy. The Ranger over there has gotten a lot of good reviews and the optional 3.2 Inline 5 diesel seems to be well-regarded for its power and reliability.

It won't.

They will not get within even a few hundred pounds of the F-150. Also look at the ZR2. It's payload is only 1100 pounds. I think the Raptor is like 800 or something silly. It'a all due to the soft suspension for off-road. So if there is a "Ranger Raptor" it won't be better than the F-150 and will be around the ZR2.

The regular Colorado is like 1550 lbs. In short we will not be getting a 2400 lb payload Ranger, even if it can handle that payload they will nerf the specs to retain F-150 sales and draw Colorado buyers back.

gwittman

Adventurer
-
I don't think they need a Raptor version. Probably need more of an off-road version than anything else (the FX4 package is garbage).
Sorry for the late reply on this, I was on an extensive off-road trip with my FX4 and did not see this thread. What is your "the FX4 package is garbage" statement based on? My 02 FX4 has proven to be very capable off-road. I bought the first year model when they came out because it is very much like I would set up a vehicle. Bilstein shocks, Torsen differential, manual transfer case, BFG AT tires, good tow hooks, and decent (not great) skid plates. I liked the rear Torsen so much, I installed one in the front too. My FX4 has over 220K miles on it and a lot of that being off-road. It has required no major work and none of the FX4 package has required any repair except for replacement of the Bilstein shocks at around 110K miles. You are certainly entitled to your opinion but it should be based on some kind of facts. I would like to hear them. I may need to know what to look out for.
I am also interested in the new Ranger when it comes out but will wait a few years to see how reliable it is and if Ford offers a model that has been upgraded for off-road. I also tow a race car so don't want to loose too much pay load or towing capacity.

Dalko43

Explorer
It won't.

They will not get within even a few hundred pounds of the F-150.

Well, here is to hoping that they do. Or if they don't, I at least hope Ford uses the same frame and axles as what are used in the global version...that would at least give Ranger owners a good foundation to start with if they want to go mod-happy. I'm looking forward to this vehicle regardless.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient

I have been driving a 3.2 diesel Ranger here in New Zealand this past month and have a Colorado Duramax LT at home in the states. The 3.2 is a torquey beast, feels a touch quicker than the Colorado judged by seat of the pants as well as a touch less lag when you give it the beans off the line. I never felt like lag was an issue in the Colorado, though I haven't driven that at elevation yet. I will say the ride quality and over all feel of the interior is much less refined. The integrated center info screen stuff seems crude and slow as well. It's not quite as drum tight as the Colorado nor not nearly as quiet inside either. I am sure the US versions will be altered for that marker's tastes and that will likely address the cheap feeling of the interior. Also, if they do bring a version of this diesel it is assumed emissions will likely take some of the pep out of its performance as the vehicles in NZ run very dirty and are not close to the US standards. I see more Holden versions of the Colorado Duramax around here than the Ranger. Even some being used as police vehicles. The Hilux is king of the pickups though, with the 70 series trucks second for the heavier work.

Last edited:

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
Well, here is to hoping that they do. Or if they don't, I at least hope Ford uses the same frame and axles as what are used in the global version...that would at least give Ranger owners a good foundation to start with if they want to go mod-happy. I'm looking forward to this vehicle regardless.

Agreed. I thought the ZR2 would never happen and it did. I thought the Raptor wouldn't sell and it did. I thought the 4Runner would be long gone by now and it's not. So here's to me being wrong yet again :sombrero:

For me I ultimately hope they give us the real deal Ranger, then build a topless Bronco onto it for a real Jeep contender. But that may be asking for a lot.

p nut

butter
Sorry for the late reply on this, I was on an extensive off-road trip with my FX4 and did not see this thread. What is your "the FX4 package is garbage" statement based on? My 02 FX4 has proven to be very capable off-road. I bought the first year model when they came out because it is very much like I would set up a vehicle. Bilstein shocks, Torsen differential, manual transfer case, BFG AT tires, good tow hooks, and decent (not great) skid plates. I liked the rear Torsen so much, I installed one in the front too. My FX4 has over 220K miles on it and a lot of that being off-road. It has required no major work and none of the FX4 package has required any repair except for replacement of the Bilstein shocks at around 110K miles. You are certainly entitled to your opinion but it should be based on some kind of facts. I would like to hear them. I may need to know what to look out for.
I am also interested in the new Ranger when it comes out but will wait a few years to see how reliable it is and if Ford offers a model that has been upgraded for off-road. I also tow a race car so don't want to loose too much pay load or towing capacity.

No offense meant, buddy. I don't know much about what's included in your older Ranger. My comment was based on what you get with the FX4, on today's models (F150, specifically). Which is basically "off-road tuned front shocks", a decal, and some plastic "skids". They say rear locker as well (which, by the way, are 3.31 rear-only---which confuses me why they'd choose that on an off-road pkg), but that's a stand-alone option you can get on any trim level. So, my opinion is that it's not worth the add-on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles