If Ford brings back the Ranger, will they make a Raptorized version?

p nut

butter
Ha ha....gaaaad I really can't giant cod piece grills that are in fashion now-a-days, I am not as tolerant as you...I wince every time I see 'em...which is often! probably why I my crow's feet by my eyes are getting worse and worse... :D

Nissan has a special, every Titan purchase you get a free 55 gallon drum of John Thomas on Attention pills....

You just need to accept it, like the auto transmissions. The black cladding hides a lot of that on the XL anyway. :D

Dalko43

Explorer
Autos are like wearing sweat pants in public, you gave up on life... :D

A real man, and woman for that matter, should know how to drive a manual...it's just a good skill to have in your back pocket.

That said, modern auto's are so damn good, reliable and efficient, that I see little value added for putting them in a SUV or pickup, especially ones setup for overlanding. Driving a remote stretch of road in Mongolia or some African nation, I could see how the simplicity of a manual makes sense. But for overlanding in North America, or even most parts of Central and South America, the auto makes more sense IMHO. I love shifting my own gears during a spirited drive in a sports car, but for long drives for camping and overlanding, I'd much rather let the auto do the work while I can have a free hand to drink coffee (and stay awake) or manage my navigation unit. Auto's in an overland-built rig sound great in theory, but in reality they can be a huge PITA, especially when dealing with technical terrain and/or congested city streets.

p nut

butter
A real man, and woman for that matter, should know how to drive a manual...it's just a good skill to have in your back pocket.

That said, modern auto's are so damn good, reliable and efficient, that I see little value added for putting them in a SUV or pickup, especially ones setup for overlanding. Driving a remote stretch of road in Mongolia or some African nation, I could see how the simplicity of a manual makes sense. But for overlanding in North America, or even most parts of Central and South America, the auto makes more sense IMHO. I love shifting my own gears during a spirited drive in a sports car, but for long drives for camping and overlanding, I'd much rather let the auto do the work while I can have a free hand to drink coffee (and stay awake) or manage my navigation unit. Auto's in an overland-built rig sound great in theory, but in reality they can be a huge PITA, especially when dealing with technical terrain and/or congested city streets.

Another added value is in case of injury in the back country. I separated my shoulder skiing about 15 years ago and at that time, was driving a stick. I had to call a friend to come get me, since I couldn't move my right arm. Had it been an auto, I could've driven home by myself. I sometimes bike in remote places, so this just takes out one more risk of not getting home.
And of course, driving and eating a fat juicy burger without getting grease and ketchup all over the place is a bonus, too. :smiley_drive:

Clutch

<---Pass
Funny, that's what I say about motorized bikes.

:D :D

Touche!

(I rarely touch the mountain anymores...)

The new autos aren't too shabby to be honest, kinda dug the shiftable auto in the new Tacoma. That said I am manual trans dude through and through. Think it is from driving them for 30 years now...learn to drive in a '76 F350 dumptruck.

Truck just isn't a truck if you can't shift your own gears, yan know what I mean?

Another added value is in case of injury in the back country. I separated my shoulder skiing about 15 years ago and at that time, was driving a stick. I had to call a friend to come get me, since I couldn't move my right arm. Had it been an auto, I could've driven home by myself. I sometimes bike in remote places, so this just takes out one more risk of not getting home.
And of course, driving and eating a fat juicy burger without getting grease and ketchup all over the place is a bonus, too. :smiley_drive:

I broke my collar bone racing mountain bikes at the Sea Otter Classic years ago...shifted with my left arm for 7 weeks as it healed...got pretty good at eating burgers while sipping on a drink and shifting gears.

Will say having at least one auto in the fleet is nice to have for "just in case" injuries...

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Broke my foot racing Virginia City Grand Prix
Broke my collarbone at a local Motocross event
Broke my wrist on a supercross track
Was very happy to be driving an automatic all three times. Just wished it had been a slammed mini truck to help with loading/unloading the bike.

So the ZR2 needs to be "accessibility capable", or I'm going to have to find another sport... Maybe Tiddlywinks. :)
In the meantime that awesome suspension will help when I run over the curbs on the way to emergency.

p nut

butter
I broke my collar bone racing mountain bikes at the Sea Otter Classic years ago...shifted with my left arm for 7 weeks as it healed...got pretty good at eating burgers while sipping on a drink and shifting gears.

Will say having at least one auto in the fleet is nice to have for "just in case" injuries...

Yeah, I learned to drive in a stick shift ('86 Mazda). And had manual cars for my entire driving career until about 10 years ago. Got tired of the auto after a couple years and bought a manual for a bit, but it was a sports car. I drove a 5-sp Tacoma as well. All great in their own way (although the clutch in the Taco was horrible).
A relative of mine has a '98 Dodge 3/4 ton diesel with stick he bought new, and still loves it (except for diesel maintenance--he wishes he bought a gas engine). Gets in your blood, I guess. Me, I value the free hand to snack while cruising on a long road trip with the fam in my sweat pants!

Clutch

<---Pass
So the ZR2 needs to be "accessibility capable", or I'm going to have to find another sport... Maybe Tiddlywinks. :)
In the meantime that awesome suspension will help when I run over the curbs on the way to emergency.

Ha ha! Slammed mini truck sure would be nice for loading bikes, with a wounded wing...

I like Renner's El Camino...

oooh...my dad came down with MS, some 40 odd years ago. I remember him having to lift his leg on and off the clutch in our F700 dump...just refusing to give in to the disease, before he got real bad. So part of my refusal to give up a manual trans, you just never know what tomorrow my bring. Pushing on the pedals and pulling on levers gives me a reminder every day how damn good I have it.

Clutch

<---Pass
I make so many bad assumptions about people wearing sweatpants in public. I'm sure someone will give me heat for that.

Yoga pants are the new sweatpants...but ...yan...know...."yoga pants" has a totally different meaning at Whole Foods than it does at Walmart.... :D

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah, I learned to drive in a stick shift ('86 Mazda). And had manual cars for my entire driving career until about 10 years ago. Got tired of the auto after a couple years and bought a manual for a bit, but it was a sports car. I drove a 5-sp Tacoma as well. All great in their own way (although the clutch in the Taco was horrible).
A relative of mine has a '98 Dodge 3/4 ton diesel with stick he bought new, and still loves it (except for diesel maintenance--he wishes he bought a gas engine). Gets in your blood, I guess. Me, I value the free hand to snack while cruising on a long road trip with the fam in my sweat pants!

Number one reason I am so resistant to buy a new truck, pickins are slim for a manual trans. Pretty much either a Tacoma or a diesel Ram. Believe even Nissan discontinued manuals in the Frontier.

It's in my blood...can't seem to give it up.

p nut

butter
Number one reason I am so resistant to buy a new truck, pickins are slim for a manual trans. Pretty much either a Tacoma or a diesel Ram. Believe even Nissan discontinued manuals in the Frontier.

It's in my blood...can't seem to give it up.

Even the manual aficionados BMW is giving the stick the chop. If you want a manual, better get that Tacoma sooner than later. I can't imagine Toyota lasting too much longer, either.

Dalko43

Explorer
Even the manual aficionados BMW is giving the stick the chop. If you want a manual, better get that Tacoma sooner than later. I can't imagine Toyota lasting too much longer, either.

BMW still provides a manual option for most of their M cars, excluding the M crossovers like the X5M. Their regular commuter cars have gradually been weened off the manuals, but the real driver's cars (M2, M3/M4, 1M, even the M5 I believe) still have manuals. Same for Porsche I believe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94