Shower/privacy/potty tent solutions?

swduncan

Observer
I've gotten a porta-potti for an upcoming trip boondocking on a beach, and I'm also bringing a shower head/pump combo unit. I had originally thought i'd use the vestibule of our tent for the toilet, but it's not going to work for a shower.

So I'm looking at shower/privacy tents. I don't want one that has the flexiwire frame - putting that back into the bag is a workout I don't need. So I've been looking at this one: http://a.co/3JOV434 My thinking is that it would be big enough for both. I don't mind the potty getting wet, and I figure we can figure out a way to keep the tp dry. But it's another thing to be set up, taken down, cleaned, etc. Not to mention that any tent gets hot in the sun.

Other than just standing by the truck, anyone have another solution?

Kevin108

Explorer
I picked up http://amazon.com/gp/product/B010GSU294 a couple months ago. It works fine, but I'm a big guy and would definitely like a little more room. How small it packs down is really nice though.

2017-06-09%2015.26.41.jpg

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
Thanks Kevin! Was just discussing getting one last night with the wife. We're headed back to Big Bend NP in Oct and a couple of the ladies said there WOULD be a privacy potty area or we'd be staying at the Lodge and not the primitive camp sites.

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
I've gotten a porta-potti for an upcoming trip boondocking on a beach, and I'm also bringing a shower head/pump combo unit. I had originally thought i'd use the vestibule of our tent for the toilet, but it's not going to work for a shower.

So I'm looking at shower/privacy tents. I don't want one that has the flexiwire frame - putting that back into the bag is a workout I don't need. So I've been looking at this one: http://a.co/3JOV434 My thinking is that it would be big enough for both. I don't mind the potty getting wet, and I figure we can figure out a way to keep the tp dry. But it's another thing to be set up, taken down, cleaned, etc. Not to mention that any tent gets hot in the sun.

Other than just standing by the truck, anyone have another solution?
We bought the steel poled Kelty unit from REI. Nice unit save a couple of details. Really difficult to setup by one person and the bag was too small. The frame is plenty strong to hang a bag, but it would be pretty low...so we didn't see the utility in it. It comes with a rainfly and would be fine in the rain. The floor is not removable which makes it a pain to clean if used for a shower (gets all muddy). Needless to say, it went back to REI.

We then picked up an Oztrail Ensuite...it is one of those popup deals. Took a few times to figure out how to out it fold it backup, but it's soooooo fast. We really like it...has good ventilation, more side windows over the kelty (all the upper windows are covered by Kelty rainfly). It has a large opening to grab an externally hanging towel. It can support up to 7# or so from the internal frame - enough for the shower nozzle. (Bag should hang externally from a tree anyway, otherwise the outlet is too low) The kelty had one more pocket internally, but we don't miss it in the Oztent. The upper windows don't have a cover, so that could be an issue in rainy climates. Floor is removable which makes for easy cleaning. I am going to see if Oztent has a rainfly ... If it does, than it it is perfect... otherwise I might make a small tarp if necessary.

sent via the cone of silence

Last edited:

Triplesnake

Adventurer
I picked up http://amazon.com/gp/product/B010GSU294 a couple months ago. It works fine, but I'm a big guy and would definitely like a little more room. How small it packs down is really nice though.

2017-06-09%2015.26.41.jpg

We use the Porta Privy, which is basically that same design. Good enough room for use as a potty tent (we use a 5-gal bucket with a snap on lid and Double Duty bags for that.) I like that the floor is removable. We usually don't put it in. It has survived in some very windy conditions by using extra guy lines. It also has large pockets at the base of the tent that are designed to be filled with sand for stability.You do need to hang a shower bag from a tree or something if that is your water source for the shower. Folding back down flat was a challenge at first, but once you master the technique it is super fast and easy for one person to do. Plenty of good videos on youtube for demonstration.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Have used an old/worn-out 9x9x6' dome for a privacy tent.. worked pretty well.
Now I just shove the porta pot under the washstand table in the tent at the foot of the cot; and pull it out, far enough to use, when needed.
If a shower, instead of/in addition to the morning and evening sponge off/washup, is needed; I just find/use a semi shielded tree near the tent (helps to be primitive camping at least 1/4 mile from the nearest road/neighbor)...

I doubt this would be optimum for a rooftop tent though.

Enjoy!

coledudley

Observer
I've used the Ozark Trail two-person one, the $25 wire pop-up from Amazon, and the Nemo Heliopolis. The Nemo survived 30-50mph winds in Death Valley in March and is just the right size for showering, etc. It sets up in about five minutes with two people but with one person it can be a bit of a challenge. The bag is also really small for the amount of stuff that needs to go in it. Overall, I like it, but it'd be nice to also have the pop-up for situations where the tent needs to be deployed even more quickly.

swduncan

Observer
HI coledudley - how much extra staking out or guy lines did the Nemo need to survive the winds? We're headed to the beach, and expect wind to be a challenge.

huachuca

Adventurer
We have an earlier model (circa 2005) of Cabela's offering and its definitely been Cape Lookout NS tested. After many years of ocean side camping, the steel poles are showing signs of rust but I think it will last a few more seasons. It looks like their new model uses an aluminum frame which should help with this problem. Other enhancements I like are the removable floor and pouches for the guy lines. I did replace the shower head with one of better quality and you'll probably need thicker and longer stakes. The fly over mesh roof design lets it quickly dry inside if there a breeze.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Easy-Up-Deluxe-Shower-Shelter/1968929.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dshower%2Btent

Our setup on Portsmouth Island where its withstood sustained winds of 35-40 mph (eight guylines).
82a3d58f-10f4-4b88-8cf6-958f24bbc93c_zpszazdnumf.jpg

I bought a really cool Oztrail green canvas shower bucket with brass rose at the Overland Expo a couple years ago and would like to get a bathroom tent that is designed to support this sort of device, but have not found one yet. Any suggestions for that type of bathroom tent? Obviously, there is not always a tree branch handy.

coledudley

Observer
HI coledudley - how much extra staking out or guy lines did the Nemo need to survive the winds? We're headed to the beach, and expect wind to be a challenge.

I had 10-inch MSR stakes in the 4 stock loops. No guy lines. I did end up tossing a bit of gear into the tent just in case. It definitely made some noise and I recall looking out from my roof top tent expecting to see that it had disappeared but it survived the night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles