Wilco Hitchgate Spare Tire Carrier

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
Has anyone used one of these?

Having limited aftermarket options on the Nissan Titan I haven't been able to find a rear bumper with integrated spare tire carrier. I came across this while just searching for aftermarket parts in general and was curious how stable it was. Having a single point of contact through the receiver hitch makes me wonder if there's going to be undo stress on either the receiver hitch or the mount itself. If not, I'd think it'd be a cheap alternative to a full blown bumper replacement and a good way to reduce weight when not in overlanding mode.

https://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchgate/

hitchgate spare tire carrier.jpg

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I think the Vertical Tire Gate is so awesome. Always wanted one but I have a shell....and no need for one.

It sucks how going the custom route is some serious $$$

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
I haven't, but I've been looking as well. Another one to consider would be knucklebone:

That's certainly a less expensive option but looks like more work to open the hatch or tailgate versus the swing out style of the Wilco. Plus you have mounting options for Hi Lift, fuel cans, etc on the Wilco.

There appears to be a dealer in San Antonio so I might swing by there tomorrow and see if I can take a look at one mounted on a vehicle.

docwatson

Adventurer
You try PM'ing NmexMAX as he had/has one on his Pathfinder. I've been eyeing the Hitchgate Solo for awhile but no one around me has them in stock and I would really like to check fitment instead of playing the buy and return game.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
I stopped by 4WheelParts in San Antonio this morning. They didn't have one in stock either but said they've installed about a dozen of them and haven't had any complaints. He said it's an extremely solid install and if you were going to get any wobble or noise it'd be from the swing out itself and not the receiver mount.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I have one it's pre wilco brand but the same exact tire gate. Ditto, great product! I only put it on for road trips which is nice given I don't know anyone running BFGs around town that's had a flat. Lol

Hawk136439

Just guessing here but for $878 plus $150 shipping bringing the total to $1028 I think you could have a pretty nice bumper fabricated for that or maybe a few hundred dollars more. This is nice that it can be removed when driving around town but that would still leave you driving around without a spare...

crismateski

American Adventurist
Just guessing here but for $878 plus $150 shipping bringing the total to $1028 I think you could have a pretty nice bumper fabricated for that or maybe a few hundred dollars more. This is nice that it can be removed when driving around town but that would still leave you driving around without a spare...

I live locally so I was able to pick mine up and save on shipping. As for just doing a bumper, it is in my long term plan, but for my application, there is not a lot of options for quality bumpers, and what I want is pushing 3k and I just can't do that now. The Wilco carriers retain a great resale value so I am not concerned with what I will loose after running it for a couple years while saving for a bumper and it solves my current issue.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
This is nice that it can be removed when driving around town but that would still leave you driving around without a spare...

My idea is to have an EXTRA spare. I'll be leaving the 1st one in the stock location but like the idea of having another one out of the way (and easier access if I do need it).

08pro4x

I don't have any experience with, or knowledge of this product, but for the money it caught my attention..

http://www.bluelakeoffroad.com/index.php?p=product&id=140&parent=66

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles