1991 f350 CCLB 'Great White' Build

dmolson92

Observer
The Great White is getting some love this weekend. maintenance items, pulled seats and cleaned them and deep cleaned the interior, new door locks, started my center console. All yesterday.

Today, I started my bed platform/ drawer build. I plan on doing 2 flat pull out slides with roller bearings. These should end up pulling a full 48" out. Today is all about getting the frame up and ready to skin with some plywood, so I can at least start sleeping on it. :elkgrin:
MG_1856.jpg

MG_1858.jpg

MG_1859.jpg

MG_1860.jpg

BTW I LOVE THIS UTILITY SHELL. Makes designing things pretty great being able to open the sides and get air in there, tools in there, me in there, etc!:wings:
MG_1850.jpg

MG_1853.jpg

Comment away and keep the tips, hints, etc coming!

dmolson92

Observer
Been awhile since I've done an update, so I'll spend a post or two and catch everyone up on the build.

So my family has a machine and fab shop about 5 hours from where I live. I headed down there to take advantage of the large concrete floors and plethora of tools to install my reverse shackle kit, U code front springs, B code rear springs, Fox 2.0 Shocks, and finish my bed platform build. It was a thrash and the RSK was a PITA, as i have an open front frame rail. I knew the kit I purchased was gunna be work, so no fault to the manufacture. PMF Suspension did killer work on the RSK Kit and I'm super impressed. If I had a boxed frame, I am certain the instal would've been straight forward. Enough talking, heres some photos.
before
IMG_5644.jpg

during
IMG_5652.jpg

DONE
IMG_5667.jpg

We got the suspension done and realized the stock bumper would not work with the shackle reversal, so my brother hatched a plan and we got the CNC plasma kicked on, and built me a bumper with a winch mount. We were working fast and I didn't take any build pictures of it.
Here it is primered
IMG_5673.jpg

and on the truck
IMG_5684.jpg

I also got the bed platform and slide out finished, but was pressed to get back to work, so I don't have many pictures of that.
IMG_5681.jpg

Overall it was a good 3 days!
IMG_5686.jpg

I got back and bedlined the sleeping platform and it looked awesome.
IMG_5699.jpg

IMG_5702.jpg

-- An aside about the paltform. The area behind the platform turned out a stroke of genius and luck. It makes for a great area to climb in and take your shoes off before you get in the bed. It also left an awesome place for taller or heavier items. The Ice Chests sit here for ease of access on trips.

Then I started packing for our Lincoln National Forest trip.
IMG_5706.jpg

My Chief Explorer approved of the platform.
IMG_5705.jpg

It was a whirlwind of stuff and things, but man it was awesome to get the truck riding SOOOOOOO much better with the shackle reversal, new springs, and shocks that actually do something. Made the NM trip so much more bearable.

dmolson92

Observer
I'm just gunna throw up a few pics from the NM trip, until I have some more time to do a post on the trip as a whole. I'm finally getting around to editing my pictures and getting much more comfortable with my Canon 6D. Love that this passion for exploring and overlanding lets me see such amazing things!
Lincoln National Forest was pretty amazing. Cannot wait to go back
IMG_2033.jpg

Neither can my Chief Explorer(s) (My wife is napping in the hammock behind him)
IMG_1973.jpg

White Sands was amazing for the photo opportunities. At the time, all I could think was, "GET ME BACK IN THE MOUNTAINS!"
IMG_2083.jpg

IMG_2079.jpg

Back in the Mountains with these two.
IMG_1982_2.jpg

What a trip it was! We can't wait to get back there, probably going to make it a sort of tradition to head out there every summer. We loved it and it was great for my wife and I to unplug from life and work for a bit. Wouldn't trade these moments for the world.
IMG_1995_2.jpg

And one more shot of our handsome pup!
IMG_1906.jpg

wildbillcody97

Do you happen to have anymore pics of boxing in the frame? Have to do the same to mine but I haven't bought the rsk kit yet

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

dmolson92

Observer
Do you happen to have anymore pics of boxing in the frame? Have to do the same to mine but I haven't bought the rsk kit yet

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I actually don't. I can try to take some more photos of what I did early next week. I'm heading out of town for my brothers wedding tomorrow early and won't be able to get any photos for you. Sorry! I'll see what I can do next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

damon1272

Observer
Along with boxed frame pictures, how does it ride with the U code springs? Considering the springs or converting to coil springs for the front.

dmolson92

Observer
Along with boxed frame pictures, how does it ride with the U code springs? Considering the springs or converting to coil springs for the front.

If you have the time and skill, I would say go with coils or coilovers. It rides WAY better now with the U codes and shackle reversal, but there is still alot to be desired in the ride category. On the highway and over regular dirt roads, it rides great. But on rough terrain, washboards, or any doubles, I yearn for come coilovers. But for a basic bolt on for under $1000, you can't go wrong. All depends on what you want to do ultimately with the truck.

FiveFeezy

Nice work and nice trip! I have the same truck but a 1993 with 291,000 miles on the motor and chassis. I've had it for two years and it still runs great. I really want to do the RSK upgrade though. Offroad driving is unbearable as is.

damon1272

Observer
Thanks for the reply. I have some choices to make as to how far I want to get into this truck. I like it and think once my shop is built I will have the time to do some fab work.

dmolson92

Observer
Been busy with work and such, but getting the truck sanded down and primered to put some Monstaliner on it. Tired of the multitone, rusty surface! Also, I needed to reseal the roof, as it was starting to leak. I'll take some pictures and write down exactly what I do with the Monstaliner! Still loving this truck, but making some plans to update the interior a bit for some creature comforts (IE back support in the seats and not greased out carpet) and start my rear swingout tire carrier! woo!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles