Ford E Van: What year was switch to rear disk brakes? Can I swap my old axle for new?

4wheeldrivevan

Observer
I've got an older 1997 Ford E250 with rear drum brakes and I'm wondering if it's worth the time and effort to find a newer axle with disk brakes at a salvage yard and update to disk.

My current axle is a Dana 60HD 4.10 35 spline with C Clips and drum brakes. I've got the sad little under-powered 4.2 engine.

I'd prefer a full float over C Clips. What year should I be looking for for full float and disk brakes?

Would there be any issues with the VSS Sensor from my old axle being plugged into a newer axle that I should be aware of?

I'd like to install a locker and was looking at Eaton E Locker Vs. ARB. Does anyone have any preference of one over another or even another option?

cjken

Explorer
I don't know, but I believe Hobie Tony did that swap on his "Ambovan"
I'd search that thread

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
It may just require a master cylinder swap to go from drum to disc. I haven't done this particular swap on an E-series but that has been my experience with other vehicles, but should be pretty easy to bolt on a Sterling with disc brakes.

I'm a fan of the ARB locker, mainly because I've always used them and never had a failure - but other people will probably tell you the same about the Eaton, I just have never used it.

Corneilius

Adventurer
I switched from drum to disc on my 1998. Just make SURE whatever axle you get has a VSS on the top of the gear housing. At one point they switched to strictly transmission VSS signals so not all van rear axles will work.

I didn't swap my master cylinder but was prepared to, brakes just fine.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Are there any kits that'd allow you to convert an existing FF axle to discs and still have a functioning emergency brake?

I know a little off topic.... but rather than have a second thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz