Anyone using two refrigerators...

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Anyone using two refrigerators, one freezer/ one refrige?
Just curious about the thoughts and comments!

bluejeep

just a guy
Anyone using two refrigerators, one freezer/ one refrige?
Just curious about the thoughts and comments!

actually yes. One for frozen and the other for refrigerated. Sold the 35 qt because of its size and weight. I have a wrangler and space is a premium. Being able to split that big chunk into 2 smaller pieces makes storage much easier, not to mention half the weight at a time. I now run 2 - 15 qt units. Much improved situation. Also allows me to take just one of them on a shorter trip or a trip in the car.

JD914

Observer
actually yes. One for frozen and the other for refrigerated. Sold the 35 qt because of its size and weight. I have a wrangler and space is a premium. Being able to split that big chunk into 2 smaller pieces makes storage much easier, not to mention half the weight at a time. I now run 2 - 15 qt units. Much improved situation. Also allows me to take just one of them on a shorter trip or a trip in the car.

What 15 quart refrigerator do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
True space isnt a huge concern, but function is. I have a Engel MT45 already have been trying to decide if I had a smaller one to use as a freezer only.

JackW

Explorer
I was checking out the Snomaster dual zone fridge at Overland Expo last fall - very cool piece. It's nice to have ice cream on a camping trip.

DiscoDino

Observer
I have the ARB 47 (5 year old) in the trunk acting as a freezer for food and "next day" drinks...and a Waeco 15 between the front seats for "immediate" drink consumption...works great...does need 2 x Optimas to be managed...need to get a solar system when my new RTT hard-top tent arrives...

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I have an Engle 11qt for drinks and snacks behind my front seat and an ARB 48qt in the back for food. I will use my 45 qt Yeti as a freezer with dry ice. That lasts about 5 days. I cook my steaks from frozen so I can go straight from freezer to grill. You can cook lamb and burgers the same way. You get a nice deep char and a rare center.

TwinStick

Explorer
We have 2 ARB's. 82 qt & a 50 qt. I have not used them both on 12v yet though. Everywhere we have camped so far has had 120v. When we do get to that point, I will have to get 1 or 2 deep cycle 12v batteries for each fridge/freezer. I already have a Cabela's 2 bank Pro Angler charger & can use either our Honda eu2000i generator or our 2000/4000 watt inverter setup. Anyways, they work GREAT. The 50 qt was able to maintain 0*F on 90*+ days. We want to be gone for a month or more at a time, so 1 freezer & 1 fridge in addition to our tiny camper fridge does the trick. We also brought a Coleman cooler (just for drinks) & just kept rotating & refreezing the water jugs. This takes care of any scenario & lets us be gone for a loong time. The price did hurt but i also feel that I got what I paid for. Surprisingly enough, we have used the 50 qt in the back of the 4Runner quite a bit since we got it. Great for doing day trips to far away markets, getting stuff we can't get local & bringing it home.

We have a 2008 Dodge Power Wagon w/ARE MX series cap, roof rack/basket, home made bedslide that the 2 ARB's are in/on. So, while space is always at a premium, the 3/4 ton platform gets the job done for us while pulling our little 18' 3500lb camper.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles