Design and build storage solutions

Stuart Kent

Observer
Hello all, I have been fairly inactive on the forum lately, but it's because I've been busy doing stuff. Not least of which has been moving my large woodshop and 2 shipping containers full of machines and equipment to a new building in Eastern NC.

I teach all manner of woodworking and some metalworking, and my recent truck purchase (96' FZJ80: factory locked, 92,000 miles, garage kept, now has 33" BFG AT's, OME suspension/lift, ARB front bumper, Optima, and lot's of under-hood maintenance) got me thinking about getting together a group of folks for a week-long class at my shop on designing and building storage solutions for your rigs. I think we can work out a method using common materials and approximate quantities to create individualized solutions for 8 people. This could include anything from chuck boxes to roll-out drawers and cargo platforms - your thoughts here ______________________ .

After the class, I thought we could take an expedition out to Cape Lookout, NC for a test run of the new gear.

look forward to hearing thoughts and ideas...

southpier

Expedition Leader
sounds like you want free syllabus advice. but that's just my thought and I have no filters.

there are enough ideas on this Forum for a gazillion classes, so maybe you could do some searching and come up with the type of storage most used, and concentrate on that. but that's just my idea.

Stuart Kent

Observer
sounds like you want free syllabus advice. but that's just my thought and I have no filters.

there are enough ideas on this Forum for a gazillion classes, so maybe you could do some searching and come up with the type of storage most used, and concentrate on that. but that's just my idea.

thanks, but not looking for syllabus advice. I have been a professor for over a decade and now run a private woodworking academy. I want to gauge interest in offering a class to expo members, I'll flesh out the details.

harbinger808

Adventurer
If this was held in PHX I would definitely be interested. I have ideas for what I would build into my LR4 but have no tools or skills and I'm always willing to learn!

Stuart Kent

Observer
If this was held in PHX I would definitely be interested. I have ideas for what I would build into my LR4 but have no tools or skills and I'm always willing to learn!

totally understand - if you ever get the urge to do a cross country excursion I'll be glad to have you in the shop!

MLu

Adventurer
I don't suppose you have a YouTube channel? A series on something like this would probably be quite popular in certain circles... and maybe a good way to promote future classes?

Stuart Kent

Observer
Going to be watching this as it could be something I would be interested in, in the future.

2 local guys want to do it, if we can get a group of 6 - 8 together I'll schedule it to accommodate everyone. What types of storage solutions are you interested in? What time frame might work for you? - Cape Lookout is really nice in the late fall, and very few people go out there that time of year

altaboy

Observer
Idea: Set up shop in used big school bus. Attach your expo rig to the back via tow bar (weight shouldn't be an issue). wherever you travel to, can advertise for this type of class.

Kinda roving classroom (like the bio-diesel instructors do).

Sooooo, if you make it to SoCal.....

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Kind concept
The problem as I see along with the guy who taught the vehicle outfitting class at EXPO is, no two needs are the same if you are truly living or traveling out of your Land Cruiser.

Peneumbra2

Badger Wrangler
What would be way cool is to have containers built out of edible materials, like, say, Wheat Thins or maybe Rye Krisp.

If you were ever in an emergency, you could just chew on the container until regular food became available...

altaboy

Observer
edible materials....well you could run bio and just drink out of the tank if stranded.....lots of high calorie fat there:beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke