Composting or cartridge toilet ?

B85

Adventurer
Looking for some input from people who are using any of thees systems ?
+ and - and how have they worked ?

I have built a black water system before and don't want to do it again. Lots of money and lost space.
Was thinking that the 5 gal cartridge would be good ?

Thanks

Ramdough

Adventurer
My plan is composting separette villa 9200. There is a long thread on Expo about composting toilets. I lay out my reasoning there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B85

Adventurer
Thanks.
But I also did a search.

Funny that their aren't posting's on the "over time" use ?.

Ramdough

Adventurer
Some of those guys have used them for years. Also YouTube has videos from people.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I agree - a simple built in cabinet with a 3 gallon bucket (shorter) and toilet seat under a hinged lid - can double as a seat when not "in use". Put a plastic bag in the bucket and add sawdust or coconut husks (available compressed from garden stores) after each use. Empty every couple of days depending on the usage - into a dumpster or bury if feasible. Cheap / simple / low maintenance.

Ramdough

Adventurer
The reason I was leaning toward the Separrett was that it used biodegradable plastic bags so you had nearly unlimited usage by just pulling the bag out and either burying it or tossing it in a dumpster. Plus very simple plumbing and venting. The Natures head is also popular but I could not use the bags and there was more disassembly required to dump.

I guess you could get a bucket, install a biodegradable bag into it, have a fan pull air out of the bucket to reduce smells and help dry, then just pee outside.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I just can't see the cost for the Separrett or the Nature's Head being worth it for part time use in a vehicle application. Sawdust toilets are limited in the amount of liquids they can handle without frequent dumping - but that can be addressed in other ways in most camping areas :ylsmoke: especially for guys...

I would include an exhaust fan with a switch on it - but I have been surprised with how little they smell when cedar sawdust or hamster bedding is used. Being able to turn off the fan is nice in a small space - but it can also be used as a "white noise" at times as well - but it can be very quiet if its mounted with flex hoses so the noise isn't conducted. A small fan under 5 watts is usually plenty.

Being able to build in the bucket into a cabinet / slide out / seat is another advantage compared to the Separrett / Nature's Head. You can get biodegradable plastic bags from most larger grocery stores these days.

The Artisan

Adventurer
Here is mine. It uses saw dust in a 5 gallon bucket, and has a crank that spins the arm and buries the feces. It also separates the urine.
Kevin

Attachments

• Comptoilet.jpg
    Comptoilet.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 46

The Artisan

Adventurer
What brand and model is that?

I bought the diverter from the UK. The rest is my parts and design. Diverter was $100, might have $175 when completed. It will be installed in a wood box with a hinged lid. This is my bathroom layout, if you have not seen it.
Kevin

Attachments

• showerslidingtoilet.jpg
    showerslidingtoilet.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 178

Ramdough

Adventurer
I bought the diverter from the UK. The rest is my parts and design. Diverter was $100, might have $175 when completed. It will be installed in a wood box with a hinged lid. This is my bathroom layout, if you have not seen it.
Kevin

Can you post up a link? I would be curious about building my own as well.

javajoe79

Fabricator
I've been considering building my own setup like this instead of spending $900 on a natures head that doesn't really fit my space. I like hearing the feedback from others that this works just as well. My plan is to have a urine tank for use when we camp somewhere where we don't want the urine to go straight to the ground. I would also put a drain on the tank with a ball valve to make it easy to dump the urine or to leave open if we camp somewhere where it doesn't matter. Done right it could even be a bench in the camper when not in use. Lift the lid to uncover the seat and the bin that holds the sawdust.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94