2015 Titan Pro 4X Build

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
what do you all recommend for a shock upgrade. Working with a 2007 SE that seems to be doing ok but I plan on getting more aggressive.

Sorry for the hijack but figured it was something you would be looking at sooner or later :)

I'm leaning toward the Bilstein 5100s. The Pro4X comes with Ranchos stock but the ride is extremely stiff. I'm not looking to raise it much but do want some additional suspension travel so modifications are going to be needed at some point just not towards the front of the list.

docsimple

Observer
Thanks for the quick response! I was looking at those too hut got side tracked by the pro comps... Not going to do much except level and shock change. That will handle my uses. Good luck with the build I look forward to seeing more.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
I ordered a Decked bed storage setup today so that'll be the first major improvement to the truck. Not sure how long it'll take for shipping but I'll post pics and a video of the install to my YouTube channel once it's done.

Last edited:

cdclpc

43f0e58bcd2ccdda91da4f80c44e41fa.jpg

Sub'd. I've got the same truck. Had it for about 18 months and I've put 65,000 miles on it. I love it. My level and new wheels are going on next weekend. And bilstiens will follow shortly. Mine is stock save for a set of cooper discoverer at3's and tinted tail lights head lights and grill. Led lights coming soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
Just before I left to fly to Idaho for a week the rear diff started screaming at about 35mph. I didn't have time to schedule in to the shop until the day I got back (last Thur) which coincided with Hurricane Harvey. They've had it a week and just informed me they got authorization from Nissan to replace the rear end. So at 37k miles I get a whole new hub-to-hub diff. Hopefully this one will last more than 37k.

The Decked set up came in last week too. Unfortunately it's going to be at least another week before I get to start putting that together. I'll try and video the assembly. It looks amazingly simple so I'll try not to screw it up.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
Finally got the truck back yesterday morning with the new rear. Brakes feel a little mushy but I'm not sure it's this truck or having driven a 2017 for the last two weeks. I did get the Decked system installed yesterday. I'll have to say they do a good job separating all the hardware and marking it by package as what to use next. The instructions are a little lacking in a couple of spots but decent over all. There is also a video of installation on their website so I didn't feel the need to video mine.

That's the good part. The bad part is trying to do this in the TX sun. Parts heat up quick and the heavy black plastic tends to deform a bit as you're working. We had to loosen some parts that were supposed to be tightened during the process, wedge things up, jostle stuff around, and just try and make stuff flex in order to get the front wheels on. In the end it went together and works great.

I also ran through the carwash after getting it all in place. They say, in general, that it's water resistant but that fine particulate matter, like dust, misty rain, fine snow, can get into the drawers. Mine were bone dry after going through the carwash so won't worry too much about doing that after I have them filled.

All-in-all I think this is a great item and think it's a worthwhile purchase for overlanding.

IMG_1767.jpgIMG_1772.jpg

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
Things are starting to come together. The custom bed rack will be welded up tomorrow. My fabricator works at Amazon noon-10pm but has tomorrow and Sunday off so we should get it completed. Which is a good thing since my GordiGear RTT showed up today. I set it up in the driveway just to check it out but am anxious to get it on the truck.

I also started my El Cheapo House Battery project. This, at the moment, is just for running some LEDs off the bed rack so we have some ground light in camp at night and then to run my USB connected fan in the tent and keep my phone charged. All that I'm using is a boat battery box, $60 WalMart special battery, a Blue Sea fuse block, and a dual 12v/USB charge port. I'll run stuff off it at night and then during the day the battery will be hooked up to my NOCO charger running off the inverter in the bed while we drive around. It should charge fine at 150w but if I need to I can bump it up to 400w. This is just a short term set up so I have it ready for the Big Bend trip at the end of the month. I want to get a dual battery set up at some point but not sure where I'm going to mount it.

For some reason I can't upload pics from my desktop (looks like there's a Flash Player conflict of some kind) and I can't from my phone as it looks like they're too big so I'll have to get back with pics later.

Last edited:

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
Okay I got some of the pics resized. The aluminum angle is the basis for the bed rack. The arches will be welded on tomorrow and I'll get some better pics of the whole set up. We cut out spots for the tiedown brackets to go through so that's what will secure the rack to the bed itself.

Rack Bed Rail.jpgHouse Batt 2.jpgHouse Batt 1.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1873.jpg
    IMG_1873.jpg
    535.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1877.jpg
    IMG_1877.jpg
    560.8 KB · Views: 41

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
Here's a look at the rack mocked up before welding.

I also spent the night in the tent (on the ground) just to get a feel for it and try out my house battery. It dropped from 12.66v to 12.55v running the fan from 10pm to 6am so shouldn't have any issue with charging during the day. I haven't got the box completely finished yet but when I do I'll try an hour with the LEDs on and see what that does too.

Countdown to Big Bend is T minus 21 days.

IMG_1888.jpgIMG_1887.jpg

Last edited:

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
Nice now that it’s on. We’re going to wait until after the Big Bend trip to finish the rack. That way we can make adjustments and finalize the setup. Too late tonight to take it on a shakedown cruise to see how the truck handles but will do that first thing in the morning. Total rack weight came in between 20-25 pounds.

E7BAB37F-8364-48B6-9475-D5CBCB8FA93C.jpg

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
When my rtt came in there was some forklift damage to the bottom deck. Gordigear offered to replace the tent with no issues but I really wanted to have it for our Big Bend trip in 2 weeks so told them I could live with the damage. There's a small hole where the deck tore but I can caulk that and it's not anywhere I think water could get into it unless I submerged the truck. But since I wasn't going to replace the tent Gordigear sent me an awning and awning extension as a form of compensation. I have to commend their customer service and willingness to make me happy about the situation. I won't go into all that they offered but will say it was over the top and told them it wasn't necessary and the awning was more than enough.

So it came by UPS yesterday and I got everything installed this morning. One of the things I will say negative about this setup is that it takes 2 people to set up unless you want to look like a monkey having marital relations with a football while deploying it. The unit is high quality and something I expect to last as long as the tent. The extension almost doubles the length and can be fully extended, dropped at a 90° angle at the end, or angled to a lesser degree as a sun block. The extension can also be set up pup tent style by itself to provide cover for anything on the ground you need to protect. All great benefits. The big drawback is that it comes in a separate bag with the needed poles, pegs, and guy wires. Why is that a drawback? Well now you have to store it some place and that takes up room. I may try and fabricate some straps to attach it to the bed rack but for the time being it's in the back seat.

Is this the last awning I'll ever need? Not by a long shot. I definitely want a 270°, preferably an AluCab, but that's a long discussion with the missus and probably about 5 years worth of Christmas, Birthday, Anniversary, and any other occasion, presents I might expect.

We're heading to the Texas Avid Outdoors Expo tomorrow and hope to get some more ideas for the truck while we're there.

Awning stowed.jpgGumdrop Awning.jpgExtension bag.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles