Low-profile hard-side truck campers without cabovers

WesternDreamer

"Not all those who wander are lost."
I have it in my head that I want a simple, low-profile, hard-side, slide-in truck camper without a cabover. I don't have the truck yet (I sold my last one a few years ago and haven't replaced it yet), so the exact dimensions of this box are not set in stone.

No bathroom will be needed as a porta potty will suffice. I need a place to sit and use a laptop; a bed (which will likely be the same place); a sink (I'm thinking gravity fed from a water jug secured in an overhead rack when stopped and moved to the floor when moving); a small stove; a heater (probably an Olympian Wave-3 catalytic heater); and an ARB 50-qt fridge.

I'd run the stove and the heater off an exchangeable 20 lb. LP tank. I'd add a battery or two to run the fridge, some lights, and a Fan-Tastic fan; and an inverter to power my laptop and other 110v loads.

I might add a mini window A/C and a small microwave to run off a Honda EU2000i generator.

All that said, I'm debating building something custom versus customizing something already built. The potential options I've found so far are the Capri Cowboy, the Eureka SlideINN, or something from Rock-A-Bye Campers. (The Alaskan 8' non-cabover is out of my price range.) The Capri is 84" wide and I'd prefer to keep it at 80" or less, but other than that, it seems like a decent choice. I don't know much about the others as far as quality goes.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks!

WesternDreamer

Thank you for the suggestion. I have looked at both the Northstar Vista you linked and the Travel Lite Rayzr, but they aren't very low-profile (both are full standing height inside) and they are also rather wide (90" for the Vista and 86" for the Rayzr.)

They are nice units, but they are a bit larger and heavier than what I would like.

WesternDreamer

Those Tufport units are interesting. They are basically empty shells, so good for customizing, although I suppose some strong adhesives would be required as you don't want to drill into the fiberglass.

The custom popup is amazing and certainly better quality than I would be able to build. Very impressive!

Thank you for the ideas and suggestions. They are much appreciated.

The Artisan

Adventurer
Brandon grab some 2 inch foam, angle iron and fiberglass and have at it. Have someone sew your popup do a simple lift from one side. Look at the URO campers for ideas. I might be making some shells similar to them.
Kevin

mattsavage

Observer
Those Tufport units are interesting. They are basically empty shells, so good for customizing, although I suppose some strong adhesives would be required as you don't want to drill into the fiberglass.

The custom popup is amazing and certainly better quality than I would be able to build. Very impressive!

I believe there are reinforced areas, both horizontal and vertical, molded into the fiberglass to screw into for shelves, tables, bed, etc, whatever you want to build out.

calicamper

Expedition Leader

I would just bond hard wood strips to the top then attach what you want to it. No glassing needed no mechanical attachments to cause small stress areas. 5200 or 4200 would hold anything you would mount to the wood strips. Plus it would spread the load across the whole strip.

Jonnyo

Observer
the main issue with low profile unit like cowboy, eureka etc is they are less aerodynamic than a cabover camper so end up costing you more in gas vs a well design small cabover.

One very good option you could find used in canada and also in usa closer to the northern border is a spacekap.

a lot profile like this can be a very good start to build custom interior design

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17565&d=1420916323

i myself got the version with the cabover that is very well design aerodynamic wise...and the penalty on the truck is less than 1-2l/100km.... or perhaps 1 mpg. could perhaps be a starting point

when it come time to put interior shelf etc...fiberglass is actually a very easy material to work with. you can glue wood stip as reinforcement before screwing and it will be very strong. if you break something....repairing fiberglass is easier than most material... it s very forgiving

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer

There are other manufacturers too. This is a Maranda. I looked into them awhile ago and I think the big ones are ~$10k. Search for "composite truck bodies".

Note that your height requirements for comfortable sitting are only ~1-1.5' less than standing, and you can still have a decent cabover for storage.

Maranda-V-365-NDT-Digital-Radiography-A-003-1024x576.jpg

Last edited:

WesternDreamer

There are other manufacturers too. This is a Maranda. I looked into them awhile ago and I think the big ones are ~$10k. Search for "composite truck bodies".

Note that your height requirements for comfortable sitting are only ~1-1.5' less than standing, and you can still have a decent cabover for storage.

Interesting... and expensive. I like it, though. Thanks for the suggestion.

zb39

Adventurer
What about just a regular truck cap. Leer or ARE, they come in taller heights also. Or is that to small?

windtraveler

Observer
www.bundutecusa.com they made a totally custom camper for me that is exactly what you are describing. The cabover portion is 10" above the cab and extends 36" forward of the bed but they will be happy to build whatever you want. I have hot/cold pressure water with outside shower, heat, awning, convertible bench / bed. talk to Rory or Jenn, they will treat you right.
IMG_2950.JPG IMG_2967.JPG IMG_2970.JPG IMG_2984.JPG

keenz

So, what was your cost on that camper from Bundutec?Thats perfect!
Hows it haul?Whats the weight?

Edit:I creeped your exsisting posts I see the weight. Now lets talk price? or a model type Ican give then for a quote request.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles