89 ford econoline 350 problems

Sibeta2

Have been touring the country for five weeks with wife and 3 kids with no issues and last day or so ran into some issues. My 89 econoline jamboree is struggling to get over 45 mph. Replaced the fuel filter today and it ran better. Stuck in Roanoke Va at the moment. Anybody live here that is handy? Going to replace spark plugs in hotel parking lot. Any ideas on what else I should look into? It has a 460 and C6 tranny, about 36k miles. I have put 4K in the past five weeks with no issues. Could use some help for sure.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Make sure to check the cap and rotor too, if the plugs helped then maybe it needs a new set, also rent or borrow a fuel pressure tester from the nearest parts house and check the pressure from the pump, here's how to do that!
imagesWLinks (1).gif

STATIC PRESSURE TEST
1. Check for adequate fuel supply.
2. Turn key OFF
3. Install fuel pressure gauge to test port on fuel rail.
4. Install test lead to fuel pump lead of STO test connector.
5. Turn Key On Engine Off (KOEO).
6. Ground test lead to run fuel pump.
7. Check to determine if fuel pressure is within acceptable limits. See: Fuel Pressure > Pressure, Vacuum and Temperature
a. If pressure is low but greater than 3 psi (indicates fuel pump is running but not enough pressure) check for:
^ Plugged fuel filter
^ Kinked fuel line
^ Low voltage to pump (should be without 0.5 volts of battery voltage at connector).
^ Disconnect the fuel return line and note if fuel is being returned during this low pressure condition. If fuel is being returned, replace the fuel pressure regulator. Reconnect the fuel return line.
b. If pressure is less than 3 psi (pump not running) check for:
^ Defective fuse link
^ Inertia switch open
^ Wiring at fuel pump/tank connector loose or open
^ Fuel pump ground connection at chassis loose or defective
^ Improper fuel pump relay operation
If fuel supply and return lines are OK, and electrical supply and ground are OK, and fuel pressure is still low, replace fuel pump.

DYNAMIC PRESSURE TEST
1. Disconnect and plug the vacuum line to the pressure regulator.
2. Start engine and run at idle. Check to determine if fuel pressure is within acceptable limits. See: Fuel Pressure > Pressure, Vacuum and Temperature
a. If pressure is low check for:
^ Plugged fuel filter
^ Restricted fuel line
^ Low voltage to pump (should be within 0.5 volts of battery voltage at connector).
3. Reconnect the vacuum line to the regulator.
If fuel supply and return lines are OK, and electrical supply and ground is OK, and fuel pressure is still low, replace fuel pump.

TruckNorris

What's your MPG? Could be as simple as a clogged catalytic convertor. Could be a multitude of things...any more symptoms?

Sibeta2

Funny you mention the catalytic converter. Turns out that is part of the problem. Fixed that and running much better now.

Sibeta2

Motorhome has been running awesome. Put about 7k miles on her this road trip in 2 months. AC compressor however just seized up on the way up to Asheville from Charleston. Anybody know since the compressor went out does it send fragments into the system so that I have to change everything in the system like evaporator etc?

doug720

Expedition Leader
Pull the hoses and compressor drain some of the oil onto a clean sheet of white paper. If you see "Chunks"...

rickc

Adventurer
Sibeta: usually when a compressor seizes it's because the bearings are toast; the inner parts should be fine and the impeller should not have broken and contaminated the system. I wish you luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier