Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very southern Idaho from Jarbidge to Ovid

Default Very southern Idaho from Jarbidge to Ovid

I am planning our second fall trip beginning in late September. We plan to travel from Jarbidge, NV To Ovid, Idaho using secondary highways and gravel roads where possible. From Jarbidge, we will travel to Rogerson then want to travel through Sawtooth National Forest to Oakley. From Oakley, we would go to Malta and go further east through another segment of the Sawtooth N F to Malta. From Malta, heading east, we would go through Sublette over to Malad City via 37/38. From Malad City, it looks like 36/34/36 over to Ovid. From Ovid, we would head south down the east side of Bear Lake.

Are the USFS roads through the national forests doable in our setup? We are not fans of freeways and larger cities/congestion. Any help you can give would be appreciated. Also, fave campgrounds on our route. Or, dispersed sites. Thanks again.
    Last edited by seeNik48; 07-03-2017 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Spelling
    2008 Ford F250 Super Duty: diesel, 4x4, off road package, extended cab, long bed, Ride Rite Air bags
    2013 Hallmark Ute: solar, 2 AGM batteries, 2000 watt inverter, etc.

Anyone? Locals and/or folks who like to try something different?
    2008 Ford F250 Super Duty: diesel, 4x4, off road package, extended cab, long bed, Ride Rite Air bags

That sounds like an awesome trip. I have been in Idaho since '98 have only visited the Jarbidge area twice. I mostly hang out on the western side of the state or Stanley areas. I look forward to seeing some pics from that area!

idaho4x4.com
    05' GX470 3" ironman lift, 275/70/17's BFG at KO2, HID's, cat back, smitty built xrc 9.5k synthetic winch, Bud built hidden winch mount, Catholicscomehome.org

I find this website useful when trying to check on motorised roads in Idaho: https://idaho.maps.arcgis.com/apps/w...2c05228831dfbb as well as hiking trails, too.

I usually call the local Ranger stations of the areas I am heading to if I am not able to get current road conditions. As stated before, I may live in Idaho, but I rarely go to Jarbidge. Your trip sounds fantastic. Just be prepared to have little to no cell service during your trip and bring all needed survival supplies and things to fix your rig if it breaks.

Murphy Hot Springs will most likely have camping available. The south hills part of the Sawtooth NF that you will be traveling through has some dispersed camping, but forest roads are more limited in there. Camp sites are established in there usually.

I like Malta. It is a cute little town. I was almost totally flooded out in February from the horrid winter we had. Hardly anything there. Camping is available in city of Rocks, which will probably be the busiest location you visit. I highly recommend getting out and hiking some of the trails there. It is impressive to wander the topography there.

Massacre Rocks State Park has a neat disc golf course and you can rent kayaks/canoes on the Snake River to explore, too. Scout Mountain S of Pocatello is one of the highest points in that area and has a campground located at it: https://www.recreation.gov/camping/s...O&parkId=73922

There are actually quite a few hiking and mountain biking trails in the Pocatello area.

I hope this helps!

Thank-you so much all. I will check out the links provided and ensure that we are ready. I understand the road to a Jarbidge may be challenging but it was the one recommended rather than try from Nevada.

We run a parking lot/ small campsite and spoke with a couple from SLC who recommended a great spot to camp in the Uintas which is in our plans.

Looking forward to this trip. We should be gone 5 or so weeks. Hopefully we make it down into the Bears Ears area of Utah before the masses. We may not get there as many places along the way and we usually get side-tracked.

Thanks again.

When in Oakley make sure to head up Birch creek road to Emery Canyon road. This will take you the back way into City Of the Rocks National Reserve which is a pretty epic place to explore. Try to be there during the week as theres some awesome camp sites. On the weekend theres an influx of rock climbers so campsites can be hard to come by.

Sounds like you are running sections of the IBCDR, and there are several sections that are permanently closed from the extreme snow pack we had this year. But we've run most of it with our 2500 Ram setup.
    2015 Ram Power Wagon Build
    ---
    Family of 4 living, working & exploring the USA in our Airstream. | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by mikekey View Post
    Sounds like you are running sections of the IBCDR, and there are several sections that are permanently closed from the extreme snow pack we had this year. But we've run most of it with our 2500 Ram setup.
    I'm hoping to do the IBCDR next June. What sections are closed and are there easy detours to be able to complete most of the route?
    1998 Stewart and Stevenson M1078
    2010 Nissan Titan Crew Cab 4x4
    2015 Nissan Titan Crew Cab Pro 4X
    http://overlandroad.life/

Quote Originally Posted by M1078 View Post
    I'm hoping to do the IBCDR next June. What sections are closed and are there easy detours to be able to complete most of the route?
    My last two trail updates in another thread:

Well... that didn't go according to plan. I guess I shouldn't look at the Boise mountains and make an assumption. Or maybe, you know check the road conditions or call the ranger station ahead of time. Doah!

We got denied three times in a row today with road closers. Snow on the actual route, flooding on an alt route and a mudslide on my 3rd alt route.

On the main route, the gate was closed with a sign indicating it would be closed till July 14th. So we thought we'd try Rocky Bar Rd. since it connects back over. That was close, including the road towards Atlanta with a sign about a mudslide. So then we thought about driving towards Ketchum, and that's were we saw the last sign that just went up today about flooding.

Our loop: https://www.gaiagps.com/public/WUbYZ...pBoxOutdoorsHD

At least it was mostly scenic.

Attachment 402446

So basically we made a 93-mile loop, not counting the distance from where I started recording back to Boise, about 45 mins. Tomorrow, we'll go somewhere else...

So after speaking with a ranger, we tried another section of the IBCDR and picked it up in Lowman. But it turned out we could only go so far. Downed tree bigger than my chain saw could handle. So back down we went. Talk about timing though for a fellow we met who flagged us down. We got stopped by the downed tree, went back down the trail probably 30mins, stopped for lunch and then proceeded to try an alternate route when we got flagged down by a genetlemen who got his Volvo stuck in the snow. So we helped pull him out: https://www.instagram.com/p/BUpvgp-DfXD/

:| The big bummer is that the Pinoeer fire most likely has closed off a huge chunk of the IBCDR for the time being. Some sections is just unbelievable the level of damge done out there from the fire. Since we couldn't make it to Deadwood, we ended up finding a nice campsite along 21 heading towards Stanely and near the river to relax. And later rode into Stanely to enjoy the views and do a hike.

Pinoneer Fire on the lower portion has cuased a bunch of closures. There are LOTS of bypasses and forest roads all over up here. So much to explore. From Lowman all the way up to Yellow Pine is clear. We were up that section two weeks ago. But I haven't been further. The whole section between Rocky Bar and Lowman though seems to be closed in various spots too.

If you're going next year, you'll probably be fine.
    2015 Ram Power Wagon Build
    ---
    Family of 4 living, working & exploring the USA in our Airstream. | Instagram

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast