Portable Solar Generator Build in Progress. Few questions though.

DLTooley

Observer
Battery specs are misleading, converting between amp hours - which vary depending on voltage - and watt hours which are directly comparable is required. This one takes the cake, 'PB' (equivalent) being the elemental symbol for lead.

vartz04

Adventurer
Worst part is the 35 AH AGM battery won't fit in the available space in the case. I'll have to get a new AC charger that's smaller and then see if I can cram it in there.

I know a lot of it is my own stupidity but it really makes me not want to roll with Battery Tender products any more.

Any suggestions for a compact 25-35 AH AGM battery?

john61ct

Adventurer
I would suggest looking at what those big compressor/jumpstarter powerpacks take as replacement batteries.

And get a bigger case so you can hold say four of them in parallel.

vartz04

Adventurer
I'm not interested in having over 100 AH capacity in this portable version. Whenever I build my trailer I will likely at some point but a 100 AH battery on there and get bigger solar panels. My plan was to make a yeti 400 alternative but with the battery screw up I could have likely bought 2.

Bear in NM

Adventurer
Vartz,

I have a pelican 1600 case that I built last year. I am running two duracell's from Battery Plus (or Bulbs and connectors plus or some such now). They are the DURDC12-35J. I think one would fit in your case, but upright with the case laying flat they need about 7.5" of headroom. The folks here suggest that these duracell batteries are branded quality batteries, and mine have held up great for one year.

I had to create a frame work our of wood to "bolt" them down, as they are very heavy. I have my batteries mounted in the back of the case, and all of my accessory connections are inside, mounted on a board, facing up. No connections pass through to the outside of the case, like you have set up. I figured that all of the accessory plug-ins would take up a lot of internal case space, if surface mounted to the sides of the case. I do have to crack my case a smidge to rum my solar wires in, and fridge wire out, but I have not had any water problems, in use.

I am hoping the batteries will last a few years, and I can replace them with what you were trying to accomplish with the lithium. My case needs a diet, in a big way.

Good luck, and try and not beat yourself up too badly. This solar/12 volt stuff is tons of fun, but can be very confusing at times.

Craig

vartz04

Adventurer
I'll look into those batteries. I found a seahorse 920 case on amazon that has wheels and a handle that should be able to fit at least one of those batteries in it. 50% off on amazon for the ugly blue color ($64) looks like the dimensions are the same as the pelican 1560.

Time to start again. Case will be here tomorrow

vartz04

Adventurer
Alright starting over.

d359841fe1f40b8a08ee57a6882eb8df.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94