How long do kids like camping?

jk6661

Observer
What age did your kids stop liking camping (if ever)? My son is five and loves it, but I'm assuming that by the time he's 11 or 12, his enthusiasm will wane. If anyone has successfully persuaded their teenagers to continue camping, what are your secrets?

ripperj

Explorer
My 16 year old son loves it, no secrets, he and I just enjoy hanging out, hiking, biking, whatever. I figure eventually he will meet a girl and I'll get the boot :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ovr_land

My son and daughter are 10 & 11. What really spiced it back up for them was their own knives and Hennessy Hammock Scout. They now sleep solo and comfy as can be. My 10 year old son is in charge of staking out the guy lines and such. Give them some fun responsibilities and reward them with playing with the hatchet or lighting the pocket rocket with the fire steel for hot chocolate. It's the little stuff that keeps them engaged.

Our kids (son and daughter) have camped with us from infants, and both still love it at 8 and 15. The trick is to pick locations that give them something to do, avoid really long drives ( we avoid more than 4 hours at any stretch) stop often, go on hikes, and generally just focus on family type of stuff. Bringing a friend along can be really helpful as well. We've tented although we currently use a travel trailer, and packing up happens over the course of a few days prior to the trip. Try to keep some dedicated camping gear in totes so you can grab them and go. And like has been mentioned, if you didn't use it last trip, leave it home on the next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kerensky97

Xterra101
I grew up camping since I was carried on my dad's back. It never left me and I only wanted to go more.
I think the 5-12 years of age was the formative years. It's a game before that, but if you can encourage your kids to be interested in camping before the teens they'll soon be outpacing you.
If you get them started early I think they'll stop going.

Stryder106

Explorer
We are a blended family. My two daughters (aged 23 and 20) are just now getting into it. My other two daughters (aged 18 and 15) still love it. Hopefully, the exploration side of things, getting off the beaten path, and doing things that most others (generally speaking) don't get to do - sticks with them for life.

doug720

Expedition Leader
Our daughter is now 17. She went camping the first time at 2.5 months and has never stopped. We are preparing for a 18 day trip in a couple of weeks and she is so excited.

She likes to fish - spin and fly, ride bikes, explore, paddle board, kayak, etc. We gold pan, hike and just hang out. She can get bored sometimes, but we are active, so that helps...a lot!

We do cheat a little, as we travel in a decent sized RV and tow our 60. So this helps keep everyone happy.

Just try to make it fun and when things happen, try to keep a good attitude!

malibubts

Adventurer
Something I haven't seen mentioned is scouting. Obviously don't force your kid into something they don't want to do, but the Boy Scouts do a lot outdoor activities among other things. I grew up involved in scouting and had a great time, I also formed a solid group of friends I hung out with even outside of scouts. There are a ton of cool trips that I went on and a bunch of skills I learned as well.

02rangeredge

Adventurer
personally, I still love it (23 years old) I actually like going camping with my parents still. we have a lot in common and spend the day hiking or kayaking before coming back to camp to relax with a beer and talk

and don't make it just campgrounds, two tracking/ hiking to campsites makes it an adventure

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
My 2.5 y/o daughter.. was a trooper and she did great on a month long trip from SoCal to B.C. and back.......
We did get a place in the middle of the trip... to help not just her but us as well !!!
CNlmq8aTc2r7kGZc2sGlgC2rM4nNfy7AEor4zBY6mevq7tQPkEJxqdB3Dmf3UKGKFvHY6cvhYFLIz8jx-BnsL7kIx07ASH_l_sQZmQE-sCghwffGmBIy3Xx4xLPEH23ECh6rcnOQpKNJReZ1jkIFIYGLICZJ1qlJ6xndw_19imQXSazajFRF8ZJTsGeP0gWTw_o8YBlhlAH_7BrQYPgFKnwEttp6hSmEFkxZdeeI9nhj-Mb5b7b94UojZw1laNf4PmyY1tes-uEe9ieEKQHUTNGpgQT-Qx23DTNF_JDJ6kPgN66mmxj7xRR904gbjzBtHrZm5fiiSjwaYpBAsXaP2HjqICCXjmmqBnSabYAGO4EcEXI5pw-K_qn20zlQEc8dvQE3mgZrZGYhafl-8HfpeTOAPNQwXE_Ph_TSnWqJrHYZ_DpY0-wPkNcXV6sjUWX0nl_tL6iXIMsfqcsTyCUbijIWHTlyyqBV4dhjwZ0QwPAEnPV7_dbbJhDeY7wBIWezhXLusCwGVrliNd23J25qeLLrjPwz-mS7i2uyNk7GIAjEpbD4HEd-BQnI-Ny5CLCRhrVycKGR6EjOqHV8sicu48-XRyh_BYeIkL7vzceoqAoCUkWKPPZ-rQ=w563-h750-no

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Let them bring friends....
Do some trips with other vehicles and let your kids ride with others...
Do stuff...play cards, archery, cooking, hiking, only us old farts want to just sit around a campfire :)
Talk about your life and use this time to have real conversations about your mistakes, lessons and what is going on with them...and actually listen.

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
Let them bring friends....
Do some trips with other vehicles and let your kids ride with others...
Do stuff...play cards, archery, cooking, hiking, only us old farts want to just sit around a campfire :)
Talk about your life and use this time to have real conversations about your mistakes, lessons and what is going on with them...and actually listen.

Great advice.....!!!
Thanks...!!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
My 8yr old just started playing Tour guide via researching points of interest on the Ipad enroute. Course mom/dad instigate the research with carefully hinted / comments which she then digs into.

The last few summers we do 6-9 day big trip end of June, then roll back into town on the 2-3rd of July. The kids have had a great time every trip. We base camp one or two spots max then mix in day trip adventures maybe one or two nights we get back to camp late dinner out etc. Then mix in lazy days just playing around camp. The large wheeled adult Razor scooters are great, they fold up small, handle rough paved campgrounds etc.
lots of simple dice games, card games etc.

Then we do 2-3 more short 2-3 day trips with friends they go to school with. Its not hard core expedition style travel more park it and play type camping.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
The most important thing is to enjoy the moments you get to spend with them outdoors. It seems to be getting more difficult with all this newfangled internet and what not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles