EXPLORING THE 2017 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY 5 " D5 " OFF ROAD OPTIONS

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
Lucky8 was lucky this week for sure! We were given the opportunity to tear into a brand new 2017 Land Rover Discovery 5 over the 4th of July holiday. The goal of this exercise was to come up with some tasteful modifications that would complement the new Discovery.

IMG_0099.jpg

The list of mods we are shooting for are as follows:

A beefier front skid plate that integrates nicely with the factory bumper. The stock plates are good but we think that we can do better.

IMG_0072.jpg

Hidden winch mount. We are hoping to do this with little to no cutting of the factory bumper. The initial measurements and test-fitting were very promising.

IMG_0073.jpg

Driving light mounts. I know that this might sound superficial, but having auxiliary lights on fire roads and trails can quickly change from a “poser luxury item” to being an accident preventing piece of safety equipment.

IMG_0075.jpg

Roof rack. This is nearly complete. It just needs to be a tad bit longer.

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

Lastly, rock sliders. Our initial findings have proven one thing: This mod is going to be difficult.

IMG_0077.jpg

Due to the short amount of time we had with the truck, we had some limitations on the mods we could explore. Most regrettably we were not able to get a more realistic tire size in hand to run on the stock wheels. In true Lucky8 fashion we did try and see how large of a tire we could stuff under the truck. Did you expect anything less?

IMG_6012.jpg

Finally, I would like to address some of the hate mail that we have received over this project. I have been around Rovers long enough to remember that the Discovery 2 (D2) was the end of Land Rover. That's right, all that technology in the D2 was the death of the brand. Even sitting here typing those words sounds utterly ludicrous, but I remember it vividly. Then the LR3 on the other hand was a complete abomination. With the launch of it Land Rover completely destroyed the brand and all of those electronics were nothing but a hindrance. Let's not even discuss that “awful” air suspension. Yes, that was most people’s initial view and reaction in 2005 to the LR3. For many years I believed it myself. Now everybody is clamoring to hang on to the last real Rover being the LR4. Who can blame them? The reality of it is that I've done more with Project LR3 than I have with the D1, D2 or even the Defender and all while being comfortable and still able to do 80mph down the thruway on 35's.

The truth is that Land Rover Discovery 5 (soon to be nicknamed D5) is here whether you like it or not, so why not embrace the new technology? Smile, get your scissors out and start the modifications.

IMG_0074.jpg

mpinco

Expedition Leader
D1 - $35K
D2 - $45K
D3 - $55K
D4 - $65K
D5 - $75K

Into a rising interest rate environment. Mortgage loan anyone?

Last edited:

Exploder
D1 - $35K
D2 - $45K
D3 - $55K
D4 - $65K
D5 - $75K

Into a rising interest rate environment. Mortgage loan anyone?

When I spec'ed out a D5, it came to $65k. My LR3 HSE was $54k ten years ago and did not have the HD and Cold Climate packages or a diesel. $65k isn't too bad, in the grand scheme.

aek50

Adventurer
Exactly, that price increase equates to an inflation rate of about 3.5% a year. About what one might expect. Guess if they made them into even more of a computer it could go down in price but then we all would be complaining about that even more.

A number of things I like about the D5 and many I bite my tongue about, but digging into the truck and "getting the scissors out" is the only way to embrace it and see what is truly possible. I am excited to see what happens and applaud Lucky8 for their leadership on this.

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
Rear bumper with swing away tire and after market front bumper and a way to spec it out ala carte and I'd buy one

It was a bit odd that we had to have 7 seater and air suspension to order a locker. Most people are going to want that stuff anyway but having a locker in a base model would have been nice.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
I've never understood that about Land Rover. Only offering the Locker is top trim seams dumb. The base guys are much more likely to get out and use a Locker over and HSE guy.

Eric K

Observer
Did you get to drive it much off road? What did you think? I hear all the people saying it's trash, and none of them have actually driven it. I was curious what your two cents worth on that subject would be.

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
Did you get to drive it much off road? What did you think? I hear all the people saying it's trash, and none of them have actually driven it. I was curious what your two cents worth on that subject would be.

My 2c
I did have it off road in stock form and it felt like an LR3 but lighter.

harbinger808

Adventurer
So you honestly think that a rear bumper could be made for the D5 with a swing away tire carrier/jerry can holder? I ask since we are looking at purchasing a new vehicle in 2 years. It may not look like our D4 but, a 5 seater stock diesel D5 still appeals to me.
You've already shown what it looks like with steel rims and I like it. Just would want a rear bumper. And roof rack at the very least for upgrades :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94