EXPLORING THE 2017 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY 5 " D5 " OFF ROAD OPTIONS

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
So you honestly think that a rear bumper could be made for the D5 with a swing away tire carrier/jerry can holder? I ask since we are looking at purchasing a new vehicle in 2 years. It may not look like our D4 but, a 5 seater stock diesel D5 still appeals to me.
You've already shown what it looks like with steel rims and I like it. Just would want a rear bumper. And roof rack at the very least for upgrades :)

I'm interested in the rear bumper as well. Thanks!

iowalr4

Adventurer
I finally saw a D5 in person the other day. For a rear bumper, I would think an aftermarket one would need to have more of a lip or something for the swing aways to mount to. It certainly has a lot of plastic along the bottom all the way around. I also wonder how that effects slider options. Maybe they will just have to mount lower?

I wasn't feeling it after a first visit, but I am trying to stay positive. The cabin feel is quite different, 2nd row seats config doesn't allow the middle seat removal and definitely bummed about the tailgate. Even just being automatic sucks for me because it seems like it takes forever to open or close. When im living out of my LR4, that rear hatch is everything to me. And when I want to get in it, that thing is open in about 2 seconds.

Hopefully the aftermarket does some amazing things with it.

LtFuzz

Explorer
I finally saw a D5 in person the other day. For a rear bumper, I would think an aftermarket one would need to have more of a lip or something for the swing aways to mount to. It certainly has a lot of plastic along the bottom all the way around. I also wonder how that effects slider options. Maybe they will just have to mount lower?

I wasn't feeling it after a first visit, but I am trying to stay positive. The cabin feel is quite different, 2nd row seats config doesn't allow the middle seat removal and definitely bummed about the tailgate. Even just being automatic sucks for me because it seems like it takes forever to open or close. When im living out of my LR4, that rear hatch is everything to me. And when I want to get in it, that thing is open in about 2 seconds.

Hopefully the aftermarket does some amazing things with it.

People had the exact same reaction when the LR3 went to the split over the D2's swing-out. It was the end of days there for awhile. As you point out, the split is awesome. I think we'll all grow to like the D5.

Angelo1

The rear seats are not great. I'm 5'10 and my knees were pointing toward the roof. The floor seems higher or the seats are lower. Also the foot room isn't great either unless the front seats are raised up to provide more foot room. If you like that stadium seating from your LR4, I think you'll be disappointed. The rear auto drop down "tailgate" was sturdy but nothing like the LR4 split gate. The cockpit of the D5 is much nicer and so are the front seats without a doubt. Here's the thing, when I test drove it, I felt zero excitement and you really have to depend on the Birdseye view camera as you can't see the front corners at all. I love what Lucky8 did to modify it but this vehicle has so much low hanging plastic it will be very hard to add real sliders. This would not be my overland vehicle. 200 series, G550 and LR4 might be the last remaining options unless they build a sweet defender. Conclusion, I prefer more of the breadbox utilitarian look and the new D5 is far from that and seems like another overly modern soccer mom SUV. After building it out $78k. Get a CPO 2yr.old Range Rover SC for close to the same money and you'll be much happier, at least I will be. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior